The Student Room Group

How do I lose two stone?

I am 13 and a half stone right now, want to get down to 11 and a half stone to help my legs and back out so they don't have to carry as much weight around. :smile: So how do I lose the weight, I have changed by diet and cut loads of sugar out and eating better, but what is the best way to exercise. I have been walking and chopping wood, along with deep stretching. So is this good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It doesn't matter, just move more. What matter is it is something you will stick at so you keep the weight off and get healthier. It's more time efficient to move quicker (eg 30mins jog burns more calories than 30mins walk) and you want some more intense exercise (properly raised heart rate) for health purpose. But the specific form doesn't matter really.

Also, read the FAQ so you know the basics
Original post by Clockrice
I am 13 and a half stone right now, want to get down to 11 and a half stone to help my legs and back out so they don't have to carry as much weight around. :smile: So how do I lose the weight, I have changed by diet and cut loads of sugar out and eating better, but what is the best way to exercise. I have been walking and chopping wood, along with deep stretching. So is this good?

1. You are not eating better. Do you still drink anything other than water? Even alcohol, has a ton of calories. Though cutting sugar is great. So well done on that. How many calories do you eat a day? How many macros (fat/carbs/protein) and what kind of carbs (high on the glycemic index or low for the carbs, e.g. brown bread instead of white).

2. Stretching does nothing for weight loss. Nor does walking unless you do it for hours. You need to a) incorporate weights into your routine (building muscle i) takes calories and ii) will burn more calories once you did build the muscle) and b) do high intensity work outs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by yudothis
1. You are not eating better. Do you still drink anything other than water? Even alcohol, has a ton of calories. Though cutting sugar is great. So well done on that. How many calories do you eat a day? How many macros (fat/carbs/protein) and what kind of protein (high on the glycemic index or low for the carbs, e.g. brown bread instead of white).

2. Stretching does nothing for weight loss. Nor does walking unless you do it for hours. You need to a) incorporate weights into your routine (building muscle i) takes calories and ii) will burn more calories once you did build the muscle) and b) do high intensity work outs.

I drink tea with two sugar's and Dr Pepper about once a week. Good point about the bread. :smile: I stretch so I can have looser muscles for running and doing weights and I walk for about an hour or two, mixed with 20 step sprints for about a mile or something.
I drink tea with two sugar's and Dr Pepper about once a week. Good point about the bread. :smile: I stretch so I can have looser muscles for running and doing weights and I walk for about an hour or two, mixed with 20 step sprints for about a mile or something.

How often do you have tea with two sugars? and one can a week could be your guilty pleasure.

Fair enough, and stretching is important, but on its own it doesn't make you lose weight so not sure why you mentioned it. And hour or two a day or a week? Same for sprints.

You have to consider that weight loss or gain is a continuous thing. If you exercise 3 times a week and are under caloric on these 3 days, you can still gain weight if on the 4 other days you are overcaloric and relatively more so.
Reply 5

I've seen countless "vibrating" or "heat" patches and machines to help people lose weight... all a bunch of nonsense. Don't trust any fat-burning pills etc either. None of this will work, it's all a scam and the pills that work are going to be pushing your body temperature up and putting your heart into overdrive, not worth it.

As above, exercise and diet. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to eat nothing but vegetables and rice. If you wanted, you could only eat pizza and still lose weight (although I wouldn't recommend it). The reason people recommend healthy foods such as vegetables is that they tend to have lower calories and high fibre content, thus you can eat more while losing weight than you can with pizza, for example. The fibre in vegetables can also make you feel fuller.

Calories in vs. calories out. Eat maybe 400 less than maintenance. You can find your maintenance calories by eating at a level where your weight doesn't change. You should then google (or use myfitnesspal) how many calories each of the things you ate has in it and add it together. I'm guessing your maintenance calories are probably around 3300 or something. If so, you'd eat 2800.

For exercise, nothing crazy either. You can't control where you lose fat from though. For instance, you can't do sit-ups and expect to lose stomach fat. I recommend some walking/jogging/running. Up to you which you choose. As long as your heart-rate is at like 70% of it's max for 30-60 minutes, you will be burning calories.

Finally, don't crash diet, or follow any similar technique. Cutting your food to one piece of bread per day or doing 3 hours of jogging for example, is just going to burn muscle not fat. Ideally, you should aim to lose about 1-2 lbs per week. If you're not trying to maintain muscle then you could push for 2 lbs per week but that would be the absolute ceiling.

Most of all, good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by yudothis
How often do you have tea with two sugars? and one can a week could be your guilty pleasure.

Fair enough, and stretching is important, but on its own it doesn't make you lose weight so not sure why you mentioned it. And hour or two a day or a week? Same for sprints.

You have to consider that weight loss or gain is a continuous thing. If you exercise 3 times a week and are under caloric on these 3 days, you can still gain weight if on the 4 other days you are overcaloric and relatively more so.

Once a day for the tea and I have biscuits as well. :redface:

1-2 hours a day and same for the running.

Yeah I get that. It is like a lifestyle change, rather than just losing weight. But it is so boring not being able to eat and drink what I like and feeling slightly hungry all the time. :s-smilie:
Once a day for the tea and I have biscuits as well. :redface:

1-2 hours a day and same for the running.

Yeah I get that. It is like a lifestyle change, rather than just losing weight. But it is so boring not being able to eat and drink what I like and feeling slightly hungry all the time. :s-smilie:

You walk at least an hour a day, and runt an hour a day, so you do 2-4 hours of exercise a day? And can't lose weight? How many meals do you eat?
It's not about eating "better", it'a about eating less. Any exercise will do - if you feel worn out by the end of it, you've burned a lot of calories.
Hi there, well first off all two stone is not that much to have to loose, so at least you have only two stone to get to your health happy weight. Its fantastic that you are going to do this and you will achieve it. Walking is fantastic, even an hour of walking a day is great. Aim for at least an hour and any more than that later on throughout the day is great. Drinking lots of water up to two litres a day is good, if your not used to drinking a lot of water then if you drink say only two glasses a day then gradually up it to 4 then a week later add another glass until you are at a comfortable level of around 1.5 litres to 2 litres a day. dont drink it all at once this must be spread over the day, two glasses is a must in the morning and two at night. Water is great it will stop you being hungry we often eat when we are actually needing water and not food. Make sure you have breakfast even if its something small its better than nothing. Dont eat at least two hours before bed as it helps digestion and stops you retaining fat, as long as you dont have some kind of health problem in which you have to eat for your blood sugar or something. enjoy your food have smaller portions and have a treat each week too. Give it two months and you will feel the difference, and aim to 4 to 6 months for the weight to be off. remember to maintain it when you have lost the weight. Dancing and zumba is also good for loosing weight if you enjoy it and are able to do it. In the meantime do things that make you happy, if you snack in front of the telly put some carrot sticks etc so your not eating junk. The water will start making you feel less hungry within a week. Good luck
Reply 10
https://tdeecalculator.net/ use this to calculate your maintenance amount of calories and cut it by 500 or more, pretty much guaranteed to lose weight unless you have a medical problem
Reply 11
FYI, when I say eating better, I mean less.
FYI, when I say eating better, I mean less.

I live quite a healthy lifestyle now compared to my past and can say what really helps with losing excess weight is altering your diet. That is the first step before excercise. Because exercising loads won't make a difference if you end up eating heaps of unhealthy food. If you love your sugar, I would say find alternatives to it - there's fruit sugar, pure honey or coconut sugar which you can switch to, but don't overload on them because it's still sugar!. Avoid fizzy drinks at all cost and stick to water if you can. Juices are also high in sugar so if you are able to, eat the fruit instead! If you're hungry most of the time (which I am too!) try a healthy bowl of porridge with honey and banana (even berries) for breakfast. It's slow releasing in terms of energy and should keep you full without the need for snacking by lunch. It also is great for your digestive system, promoting the removal of waste from your body which all round can assist with weight loss. Salads with potatoes and chicken/ham is always a good option for lunch. Beware of mayo based dressings though, I stick with olive oil and balsamic vinegar! Pure foods that are not processed and in moderate portions will help you a great deal with your weight and skin. Drinking enough water a day will help with issues relating to bloating since you'll be less dehydrated that way. Small steps at a time and you'll feel the difference right away if you cut out refined sugar, especially the two sugars tea and Dr Pepper!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
I would recommend cutting out dairy as its extremely fattening and red meat. Try to exercise everyday for at least an hour, drink lots of water, eat 5 small meals a day, etc.
Original post by koira
I would recommend cutting out dairy as its extremely fattening and red meat. Eat 5 small meals a day, etc.

Both are wrong and/or unnecessary
just eat less

chopping wood is pretty good. That's tiring lol.
Reply 17
Original post by Greg Jackson
Both are wrong and/or unnecessary

Red meat can cause blood vessels to harden, can cause diabetes, heart disease, can shorten the life span, can cause cancer due to carcinogens and is fattening.
Dairy can also increase your risk of cancer, and milk, etc. is meant to fatten up a baby cow so obviously it will fatten humans up also, cutting it out will make you lose weight.
I cut out dairy for almost a year and I lost around a stone, when I began eating dairy again I gained most of that back on.
Original post by koira
Red meat can cause blood vessels to harden, can cause diabetes, heart disease, can shorten the life span, can cause cancer due to carcinogens and is fattening.
Dairy can also increase your risk of cancer, and milk, etc. is meant to fatten up a baby cow so obviously it will fatten humans up also, cutting it out will make you lose weight.
I cut out dairy for almost a year and I lost around a stone, when I began eating dairy again I gained most of that back on.

Bruh in this day and age they say everything causes cancer
Reply 19
Original post by Federerr
Bruh in this day and age they say everything causes cancer

There has been evidence to back it up though, its pretty clear that red meat and dairy are bad for you, you just have to look at the facts.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest