The Student Room Group

Architecture Portfolio HELP!

Can someone give me as much information as possible on undergraduate portfolio for architecture.

I am in my first year for A-Levels, and i want to study architecture at university but unsure about the following:
When does my portfolio have to be finished by (handed in)?
What to include in it?
Can you draw from a picture online? (dont know whats allowed/whats not)
What shouldn't I include?
What shall I talk about in each picture?
Could I use my DT project as part of it?

Can someone give me as much information as possible, would be much appreciated
Reply 1
The universities themselves give an outline of what you should include - they differ and so you may need to adapt your portfolio for each university.

They're pretty general but some might ask for one specific piece as well. For example, Liverpool asked for 5 sheets (this can be a drawing per sheet or multiple drawings per sheet) but one piece MUST be of a favourite room/space. MSA's requests are also pretty general - 10 to 12 pieces but one piece must show the process from initial design to final piece.

What they do all ask for however is a range of media/subjects. This can include fine art, painting, sketches, measured drawings, graphic design etc. Don't focus too much on photography - I threw one photograph in but noticed that uni's discourage too much emphasis on this.

You are not restricted to buildings - I included buildings, interior pieces (plant pots etc), portraits, landscapes, townscapes, collages of my favourite band etc. And I tried to do them all using different media, just to get the point across that I can use different materials. With regards to your DT project- you're allowed to add in photos of artefacts you've created- obviously I'm not sure what your project is but this could come in quite handy.

You don't need to write about your drawings (I didn't get asked to do this for any I applied for anyway (MSA, UWE, Liverpool, UAL, Cardiff)). Some unis may ask for you to answer a question in say, 500 words or something, to go along with the portfolio. All unis are different.

So basically, it's definitely handy to start building up your portfolio- focus on different subjects matters and using different materials. However, you will more than likely get asked for one specific piece which you won't know about 'til they ask for your portfolio.

With regards to when you have to send it - after you submit your UCAS application, they will send you an email requesting you portfolio. You'll usually have 4-6 weeks to submit it.

Hope this all helps - I got accepted into 4 of the 5 unis I applied for so hopefully am in a good position to pass on my knowledge! :smile:

P.S. I doubt they'd even know if you drew from an online picture?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rhmj
The universities themselves give an outline of what you should include - they differ and so you may need to adapt your portfolio for each university.

They're pretty general but some might ask for one specific piece as well. For example, Liverpool asked for 5 sheets (this can be a drawing per sheet or multiple drawings per sheet) but one piece MUST be of a favourite room/space. MSA's requests are also pretty general - 10 to 12 pieces but one piece must show the process from initial design to final piece.

What they do all ask for however is a range of media/subjects. This can include fine art, painting, sketches, measured drawings, graphic design etc. Don't focus too much on photography - I threw one photograph in but noticed that uni's discourage too much emphasis on this.

You are not restricted to buildings - I included buildings, interior pieces (plant pots etc), portraits, landscapes, townscapes, collages of my favourite band etc. And I tried to do them all using different media, just to get the point across that I can use different materials. With regards to your DT project- you're allowed to add in photos of artefacts you've created- obviously I'm not sure what your project is but this could come in quite handy.

You don't need to write about your drawings (I didn't get asked to do this for any I applied for anyway (MSA, UWE, Liverpool, UAL, Cardiff)). Some unis may ask for you to answer a question in say, 500 words or something, to go along with the portfolio. All unis are different.

So basically, it's definitely handy to start building up your portfolio- focus on different subjects matters and using different materials. However, you will more than likely get asked for one specific piece which you won't know about 'til they ask for your portfolio.

With regards to when you have to send it - after you submit your UCAS application, they will send you an email requesting you portfolio. You'll usually have 4-6 weeks to submit it.

Hope this all helps - I got accepted into 4 of the 5 unis I applied for so hopefully am in a good position to pass on my knowledge! :smile:

P.S. I doubt they'd even know if you drew from an online picture?

Wow, thank you so much really appreciate the help! Couldnt have asked for a better reply :smile:
:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jackhitchens1
Wow, thank you so much really appreciate the help! Couldnt have asked for a better reply :smile:
:smile:

You're welcome! :smile:
Reply 4
Never ever ever put in a picture of what you have drawn, it just pin points any inaccuracies or mistakes, I watched a video by an Architectural admissions office and they stressed this. My own Architect teacher also stresses that you should NOT draw from pictures online as they don't give a detailed enough 3D image for you to draw from.
So you recommend drawing from something you are looking at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending