The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Biomedical Science

Hi guys,

I am considering to transfer to Westminster university in my 2nd year to study Biomedical Science.

I was wondering if current or past students from the university could tell me what it is like studying a science based subject. How are the lectures/lecturers? Do you find it easy to go to them and ask for questions? What is the environment like?

I realised how there isnt much or any info at all about this on SR so i was hoping that the students from the uni can contribute, not only for myself but for any potential student for the uni.

Any information will be most useful and thanks in advance! :smile:
Not sure how up to date this is but you could try getting in touch with these people:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/university/university_of_westminster

Alternatively, see if the uni can out you in touch with current or former students. Can you visit?

Original post by Ocean5
(edited 6 years ago)
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Original post by Ocean5
Hi guys,

I am considering to transfer to Westminster university in my 2nd year to study Biomedical Science.

I was wondering if current or past students from the university could tell me what it is like studying a science based subject. How are the lectures/lecturers? Do you find it easy to go to them and ask for questions? What is the environment like?

I realised how there isnt much or any info at all about this on SR so i was hoping that the students from the uni can contribute, not only for myself but for any potential student for the uni.

@University of Westminster might be able to help put you in touch with a current student

Alternatively the student union biomed society should be willing to help http://uwsu.com/biomedical-sciences-society/
Original post by Ocean5
Hi guys,

Hi there

Teaching on our Biomedical Science course at Westminster includes lectures and seminars, practical laboratory work, group activities and tutorials, and supervised use of facilities. Assessment is through a combination of exams and coursework (including essays, practical work, group work, presentations and reports).

Here is a few bullet points from the last Open Day presentation:

4,000 students. 207 academics. 133 research students. 81 labs / teaching clincs.

Accreditations: IBMS + Royal Society of Biology

International links: ‘Westminster strenghtens ties with the Medical Research Council Unit in The Gambia’ (April 2016). Westminster working to develop the sciences in Africa.

Hot research by Dr Ed Wright into EBOLA and Zika, the ‘celebrity’ member of staff at the forefront of research into this area.

Emphasis on being a practice based university, capable of ensuring you [applicant] do independent research’.

There’s a ‘Medical Society’ at Westminster for those who are interested in progressing into Medicine

Possible University placements: MRC Laboratories, Gambia. KNUST Laboratories, Ghana. Mater Dei Hospital, Malta. Sanger Institute.

Virtual Learning Environements mean you can practice lab work in a CGI environment.

More hot research by Westminster; Breast Cancer by Dr Miriam Dwek, Genome Sequencing, Neurodegeneration, Iron to anaemics (case study), Haematology diagnostics.

You can connect with us on social media for the latest news stories from Westminster.

Many thanks

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest