hey studying for chemistry and need help please Watch

priya ragoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
solid alanine is dissolved in water and the sol is divided into two equal portions. Acid is added to one portion to attain a pH of 2. An alkali is added to the other portion to attain a pH of 13.
(i) write the equation for the reaction which takes place in the acidic solution. (ii) write the equation for the reaction which takes place in the alkaline solution.
priya ragoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
  1. solid alanine is dissolved in water and the sol is divided into two equal portions. Acid is added to one portion to attain a pH of 2. An alkali is added to the other portion to attain a pH of 13.
    (i) write the equation for the reaction which takes place in the acidic solution. (ii) write the equation for the reaction which takes place in the alkaline solution.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Amino acids are AMPHOteric (Greek ampho = both so both acidic and alkaline AS IN AMPHIbian [can live in BOTH water and on land like frog])

The -COOH group is the acidic one; the NH2 group is basic.

ADDING ACID: (the NH2 group reacts with the H+ of the acid): H2NCH(CH3)(COOH) + H+ gives H3N+CH(CH3)COOH (the plus after the H3N is a residual charge on the amino group produed by adding a proton (H+).

ADDING ALKALI: (the COOH group [acidic] is neutralized by the OH- of the alkali to give: H2NHCH(CH3)COO- + H2O.

the salts formed will depend on which acid and alkali are used. 1. There will be an anion (e.g. SO4(2-) if sulphuric acid were added)
2. There will be a cation e.g. K+ if potassium hydroxide was the alkali added (KOH)

M (Science tutor)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (68)
8.03%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.72%