Dissertation, Goffman performance and Butler performativity help

Watch
runty670
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hiya everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me to understand the differences and similarities between Goffman's performance and Butler's performativity concepts for my dissertation. I am currently trying to determine how the concepts are different or the same in their understanding of identity.

I understand they are both dependent on the social. Whilst Butler sees gender as a socialized identity process that is taught and reproduced through the identification of sex i.e - 'one is not born a woman, one becomes a woman'. Alternatively, Goffman suggests the self merely exists as a performance to the specific social situation in which they are in. In this sense, I am currently suggesting that Butler conceptualizes identity, and indeed gender identity, as a taught and reproduced identity that becomes internalized, whilst Goffman sees it as a performance to the immediate circumstances, meaning that identity is not internalized the way in which Butler suggests.

(of course) However, the social situations Goffman refers to as constituting the performance (identity) is dependent upon the development of the social situation to which the performer exists. Thus, I am suggesting, Butler's and Goffman's concepts are the same in their significance towards the relevance of socialization processes because Goffman's social situations (stage) of the performer are the immediate circumstances of gender socialization and gender discourses (Butler's).
The difference is that Goffman's sees (gender) identity as not internalized, whilst Butler sees it as learned and internalized.

Though, the results of gender identity performance are the same because of it being the same result of socialization as explained above, and both highlight negative repercussions in performing against the normative gender performance expectations (I have written about but not included here), they are different in that Butler sees identity as a process of internalization and Goffmans sees identity as the performance in the situation.

Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!
Roxaa
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
hey, this may help you about Goffman, Butler : http://www.metareader.org/post/more-...semiotics.html
Roxaa
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
hey, this might be helpful:http://www.metareader.org/post/more-...semiotics.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (16)
7.02%
October 2021 (112)
49.12%
November 2021 (23)
10.09%
December 2021 (31)
13.6%
January 2021 (19)
8.33%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (21)
9.21%