Home language not counted as a GCSE by sixth forms

Watch this thread
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This is absolutely ridiculous as I know at least 3 people who did not get an A* in their home language and considering the fact I grew up here and never went to a weekend school I should be given some credit.I bet if my home language was french or Spanish I bet they would count it.Some people who go to weekend school cannot get A*'s in their home languages so I think it is totally unfair that my home language GCSE is not being considered as a GCSE by a sixth form.
elmosandy
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
This is absolutely ridiculous as I know at least 3 people who did not get an A* in their home language and considering the fact I grew up here and never went to a weekend school I should be given some credit.I bet if my home language was french or Spanish I bet they would count it.Some people who go to weekend school cannot get A*'s in their home languages so I think it is totally unfair that my home language GCSE is not being considered as a GCSE by a sixth form.
What's the language? If it's something like Lithuanian then sorry, that's too far out.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
(Original post by elmosandy)
What's the language? If it's something like Lithuanian then sorry, that's too far out.
Offered by aqa and a language is a language it does not matter what language it is.What makes French so much better and respected then Greek or Russian for example?
AnotherYu
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
It depends how useful it is. Unfortunately sixth forms can't cater for all subjects.
elmosandy
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Offered by aqa and a language is a language it does not matter what language it is.What makes French so much better and respected then Greek or Russian for example?
I've just re-read the opening thread but i'm just going to put what I have wrote in the spolier section.

Maybe you took a FCSE rather than a GCSE? That's what it says as an option for AQA Languages on their website.

Otherwise talk to them about it and ask why they don't class it, if you haven't already. Did you take the GCSE in your home country? Maybe that's it

Spoiler:
Show

I think it's easier to learn and not so unrelated as eastern european languages ( even though everyone has to know english to survive lol) and OCR are including other languages like Persian, etc.

I don't think they teach other languages as much, because they're too far unrelated like swahali is nothing like english but french and german have a lot of english words... there's a petition about languages being compulsory in schools but I can't find the link....... I think it meant all languages though...

I do actually agree with you though, if all countries seem to be they have to learn english, why can't everyone else learn all the languages? I mean yes english is a lingua franca, but it's not the british empire and if we want equality we should be forced to learn other languages and Swahili may be totally different to english but if Swahili people can speak english we can speak their language aswell, I think you've got a point about your sixth form not classing it as a GCSE..
Anonymous1502
Rep:
I've just re-read the opening thread but i'm just going to put what I have wrote in the spolier section.

Maybe you took a FCSE rather than a GCSE? That's what it says as an option for AQA Languages on their website.

Otherwise talk to them about it and ask why they don't class it, if you haven't already. Did you take the GCSE in your home country? Maybe that's it

Spoiler:
Show

I think it's easier to learn and not so unrelated as eastern european languages ( even though everyone has to know english to survive lol) and OCR are including other languages like Persian, etc.

I don't think they teach other languages as much, because they're too far unrelated like swahali is nothing like english but french and german have a lot of english words... there's a petition about languages being compulsory in schools but I can't find the link....... I think it meant all languages though...

I do actually agree with you though, if all countries seem to be they have to learn english, why can't everyone else learn all the languages? I mean yes english is a lingua franca, but it's not the british empire and if we want equality we should be forced to learn other languages and Swahili may be totally different to english but if Swahili people can speak english we can speak their language aswell, I think you've got a point about your sixth form not classing it as a GCSE..

I took it last year and it is a GCSE. I am sure the reason it angers me is because i need a minimum of 6A*'s and they do not want to count my home language towards that so it puts extra pressure on me.
elmosandy
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I took it last year and it is a GCSE. I am sure the reason it angers me is because i need a minimum of 6A*'s and they do not want to count my home language towards that so it puts extra pressure on me.
Ah, well like I was going to say but I read the opening thread wrong you could already take a IGCSE in Greek or your language. They have languages not available in most schools and because they are taken by external candidates due to less coursework you can take them at any private examination center and it is seen as a GCSE and even slightly higher than GCSE's ( for anyone reading this don't get into a debate about it ).
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Well if I'm honest the large majority of students who do a GCSE/A Level in a language they are fluent in usually get the top grades, which distorts the grading scale as a certain percentage need to get an A*, A, B, etc. Most people who do this only have to go into the exam, they don't need to revise and learn the syllabus as thoroughly. Please remember that GCSEs and A Levels are there to show your capability for learning and organisation, and getting an A* in a fluent language proves nothing to universities/employers.
Cosa Nostra
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Try doing it privately?
elmosandy
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
Well if I'm honest the large majority of students who do a GCSE/A Level in a language they are fluent in usually get the top grades, which distorts the grading scale as a certain percentage need to get an A*, A, B, etc. Most people who do this only have to go into the exam, they don't need to revise and learn the syllabus as thoroughly. Please remember that GCSEs and A Levels are there to show your capability for learning and organisation, and getting an A* in a fluent language proves nothing to universities/employers.

What about degrees.

I'm studying but I hope to get into Biology soon.
username2324315
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
What about degrees.

I'm studying but I hope to get into Biology soon.
What do you mean? As in, you're doing a foreign language degree in a language you are fluent in?
SomeGuyHere
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
What language is it and where did you study? Could be a number of reasons for this.
elmosandy
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
What do you mean? As in, you're doing a foreign language degree in a language you are fluent in?
No i'm just saying you said that GCSE's and A-Levels A* Grades are not important for employers so i'm wondering what about degrees? Is it important what degree grades you get for employers? I want to get into Biology in the future and want to know if degree will help me get a job in Biology. Do degree grades matter and what uni you got it from and GCSE and A-Level A* Grades don't?
A.J.Rimmer
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Is it possible that they're saying that because you took the exam last year? I think I've seen things about universities ignoring some A-level grades, as they were taken over the course of several years (i.e. they look upon A* in Year 12, then 2As in Year 13 less favorably than A* A A in Year 13), as they want to see that you can perform well under the pressure of multiple time constraints and can manage your time correctly.

My point is, it's easier to revise for 1 exam in 2016, then 5 more in 2017 and get the A*s you need than to revise for all 6 in 2017, so they want to be sure you can cope with the pressure.
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
No i'm just saying you said that GCSE's and A-Levels A* Grades are not important for employers so i'm wondering what about degrees? Is it important what degree grades you get for employers? I want to get into Biology in the future and want to know if degree will help me get a job in Biology. Do degree grades matter and what uni you got it from and GCSE and A-Level A* Grades don't?
I'm pretty sure they meant an A* in your home language is not valuable as you do not have to study as vigorously or do the same as you would with a new language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carman3
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Sit the exam privately
elmosandy
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fxlloutboyy)
I'm pretty sure they meant an A* in your home language is not valuable as you do not have to study as vigorously or do the same as you would with a new language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair point, but it's the way they said ' please remember that GCSE's and A-Levels are there to show your capability for learning and organisation' but they did say the A*'s Grades in a home language don't prove anything to employers? I'm guessing they meant what you said it's not valuable as they don't even have to study for it in some cases and like a person said some people can just take the exam without revising because it's they're first language so yeah it proves nothing about learning and organisation I guess since it's a A* but it's in a fluent language so it doesn't prove anything. Sorry if I got it wrong it's just the way it's worded, to me.

[QUOTE=Rex Onocrotalus;70708128 Please remember that GCSEs and A Levels are there to show your capability for learning and organisation, and getting an A* in a fluent language proves nothing to universities/employers.[/QUOTE]
username2324315
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I think there's been a bit of confusion, I meant that A* grades in your fluent language aren't as important for universities as they don't prove if you're a hard worker or not. Degree grades, GCSE grades, and A Level grades are all incredibly important for employers, but an A Level or GCSE in German if you speak German at home doesn't really hold the same influence as an A Level in German would be if you speak English at home. (However, I would say that employers probably still look highly upon GCSEs/A Levels in fluent languages as you being able to speak two or more languages fluently would be a big benefit for the company, or whatever. It's more about unis - they won't care if you can speak German fluently but have an A* in it, they would view that as an empty grade)
elmosandy
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I think there's been a bit of confusion, I meant that A* grades in your fluent language aren't as important for universities as they don't prove if you're a hard worker or not. Degree grades, GCSE grades, and A Level grades are all incredibly important for employers, but an A Level or GCSE in German if you speak German at home doesn't really hold the same influence as an A Level in German would be if you speak English at home. (However, I would say that employers probably still look highly upon GCSEs/A Levels in fluent languages as you being able to speak two or more languages fluently would be a big benefit for the company, or whatever. It's more about unis - they won't care if you can speak German fluently but have an A* in it, they would view that as an empty grade)
Yeah I understand, I got to realised that by replying to @fxlloutboyy - yeah I understand the point you're trying to make now. Thanls for clearing that up I got jumbled by the way it was worded sorry
Fair point, but it's the way they said ' please remember that GCSE's and A-Levels are there to show your capability for learning and organisation' but they did say the A*'s Grades in a home language don't prove anything to employers? I'm guessing they meant what you said it's not valuable as they don't even have to study for it in some cases and like a person said some people can just take the exam without revising because it's they're first language so yeah it proves nothing about learning and organisation I guess since it's a A* but it's in a fluent language so it doesn't prove anything. Sorry if I got it wrong it's just the way it's worded, to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads