The Student Room Group

Marine A to be released from prison within weeks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cbreef
Ridiculous, we don't know anything about the insurgent other than the fact he was Taliban. He could've been forced to fight for all we know.

They're still the rules. Stick to them or update them.

Can you think of an alternative? What do we do with an injured terrorist that would gladly see us dead in a heart beat?
Original post by asiangcse
So what do you suggest to do until it's updated? Do all the rules in the geneva convention become invalid? Marine A broke the law and until it is changed, the justice system must follow the written rules.

The general idea of having rules of war are completely fine, my point was such rules never took into consideration that these kinda groups would ever exist.
Original post by Sabertooth
Not to mention the medical costs of treating him so that he can be imprisoned.

Plus the cost of actually keeping him imprisoned. Call us brutal, but I don't buy into this 'show your enemy kindness' when it comes to terrorists.
Original post by samrichardsonn
Can you think of an alternative? What do we do with an injured terrorist that would gladly see us dead in a heart beat?

For all we know if he wasn't shot from point blank range he could've offered his surrender, provided vital informaiton and most importantly; he's human.

An alternative to treating him? There's always letting him die (wouldn't recommend this one). They wouldn't have been prosecuted for that.
For all we know if he wasn't shot from point blank range he could've offered his surrender, provided vital informaiton and most importantly; he's human.

He may have, but that's completely hypothetical so we need to go on the assertion that he was a terrorist that wanted us dead, his actions proving this.
The general idea of having rules of war are completely fine, my point was such rules never took into consideration that these kinda groups would ever exist.

Well until the rules are updated and take account the current global situation, they should be followed, no?

Exactly. It's worth keeping him alive for the possibility of gaining information alone.
Original post by cbreef
An alternative to treating him? There's always letting him die (wouldn't recommend this one). They wouldn't have been prosecuted for that.

I'm pretty sure (don't hold me to this) there's a part of the Geneva convention that would make it illegal to leave an injured enemy on the battlefield. Again I'm not 100% sure.
Well until the rules are updated and take account the current global situation, they should be followed, no?

Follow the general rules exuding those that are questionable.
I'm pretty sure (don't hold me to this) there's a part of the Geneva convention that would make it illegal to leave an injured enemy on the battlefield. Again I'm not 100% sure.

There is I'm sure, which is why I said I wouldn't recommend it. It's not what I would do, but you wouldn't be prosecuted for that back home.
He may have, but that's completely hypothetical so we need to go on the assertion that he was a terrorist that wanted us dead, his actions proving this.

So there's no point of having any prisoners of war or keeping alive anyone who wants harm upon us because the possibility of those individuals having useful information is purely hypothetical? The intelligence agiences would have a real struggle there.
(edited 7 years ago)

So basically, pick and choose. Do whatever you like. :colonhash:
So there's no point of having any prisoners of war or keeping alive anyone who wants harm upon us because the possibility of those indivuadals having useful information is purely hypothetical? The intelligence agiences would have a real struggle there.

Are you putting out the idea that our intelligence agencies only get information from captured terrorists? Not many of them going about.

That won't cause any confusion on the battlefield at all
Original post by cbreef
So basically, pick and choose. Do whatever you like. :colonhash:

You take from that what you want.
That won't cause any confusion on the battlefield at all

Battlefields never have been known for being simplistic.
Are you putting out the idea that our intelligence agencies only get information from captured terrorists? Not many of them going about.

There are quite a few actually, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of 9/11.
Battlefields never have been known for being simplistic.

So making it even more complicated is fine?
Original post by cbreef
There are quite a few actually, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of 9/11.

I believe there's less than 50 odd prisoners in Guantanamo Bay, there's a reason the majority of them have never been released.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending