The Student Room Group

UCL or Durham for History?

I received offers from both universities but I can't really decide which one to accept. Both courses seem great but as I wouldn't like to become a professional historian, the general reputation of the uni with employers would be more important for me. I see the biggest difference in the environment. At present, I live in quite a big city (Budapest, Hungary) which has a population of around 2 million people but I don't know if I could handle London with its enormous size.
Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by anyegin
I received offers from both universities but I can't really decide which one to accept. Both courses seem great but as I wouldn't like to become a professional historian, the general reputation of the uni with employers would be more important for me. I see the biggest difference in the environment. At present, I live in quite a big city (Budapest, Hungary) which has a population of around 2 million people but I don't know if I could handle London with its enormous size.
Any help would be appreciated.

Are you interested in Hungarian/Central and Eastern European history? If so, UCL is hard to beat. They're practically the same in terms of what domestic employers think, internationally UCL is more well known.

I've never been to Durham so I can't say much about it other than it is rather small and the pace of life will be much slower than in London. The area around UCL (Bloomsbury) is urban, but not mega busy, there are lots of quiet areas, small parks etc. If you can, I suggest you visit both places to get a feel for the location.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending