University reputations>> Watch

This discussion is closed.
gaga_kid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Anybody heard of or been to these Uni's - what they are like? reputation? etc. Cheers!

Bournemouth
Middlesex
Westminster
Manchester Metropolitan
Lincoln
Teesside
Salford
Luton
Sunderland
Sheffield Hallam
Huddersfield
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
hmmm i thought about salford myself, but apparently its a very ruff area so i would avoid.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
hmmm i thought about salford myself, but apparently its a very ruff area so i would avoid.
Corrie's set in Salford. It doesn't seem particularly rough, and Salford Queys is one of he most beautiful inner-sity areas I have ever seen (granted, I haven't seen many).
gaga_kid
Rep:
?
Thanks! Any more info would be much appreciated...
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gaga_kid)
Thanks! Any more info would be much appreciated...

Manchester Met is a nice looking Uni but it gets massively overshadowed by The University of Manchester. It's reputation isnt the best but I know people there and they love it so....

If you need a bit of info on almost all of these institutions here's a link (origianlly given to me by Egan )

www.independent.co.uk
wicked3610
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
my advice - visit as many as you can, although you never truly know what a place is like until you have lived there for a while, dont choose a uni you have never been too, and when visiting try and stay in the area a couple of days - it helps.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Depends what course you wanna do for starters but my advice is DON'T GO TO LINCOLN. I live here and its a pretty dull place and it has a big hill which is an absolute arse to walk up. Anyway, those stupid reasons besides the uni isn't very good yet. It's only new and they're still building it so I guess if u like the sound of heavy machinery it might appeal. It doesn't have a very good reputation yet. I read in one league table that it got 0 teaching skills and it was actually at the bottom of the table. It will get better but it takes time so i'd go to a more established uni that knows what its doing.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Toyosi)
Depends what course you wanna do for starters but my advice is DON'T GO TO LINCOLN. I live here and its a pretty dull place and it has a big hill which is an absolute arse to walk up. Anyway, those stupid reasons besides the uni isn't very good yet. It's only new and they're still building it so I guess if u like the sound of heavy machinery it might appeal. It doesn't have a very good reputation yet. I read in one league table that it got 0 teaching skills and it was actually at the bottom of the table. It will get better but it takes time so i'd go to a more established uni that knows what its doing.
Im from Lincoln aswell toyosi, and I agree the hill is an arse!! The university isn't ranked very well in any subject so I would also suggest that you avoid it unless there is a particular course that appeals to you.
gaga_kid
Rep:
?
I am interested in BA (Hons) Television Production
Pencil
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What name would look better on your degree certificate? Personally, I think a Westminster one would look pretty good. It'd be internationally recognised and respected.
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lol, my opinion on Sunderland university is quite biased as you can imagine. I have been there before and it looked quite nice, but I wouldn't want to spend a few years there.

Ad
gaga_kid
Rep:
?
(Original post by byb3)
lol, my opinion on Sunderland university is quite biased as you can imagine. I have been there before and it looked quite nice, but I wouldn't want to spend a few years there.

Ad
It is known that Bournemouth is the best media uni in the country so I think thats my first choice.. it is what comes after that that im am unsure of.. so thanks for all your help. keep it coming!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
well, what are your gcse and AS grades?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gaga_kid)
Anybody heard of or been to these Uni's - what they are like? reputation? etc. Cheers!

Bournemouth
Middlesex
Westminster
Manchester Metropolitan
Lincoln
Teesside
Salford
Luton
Sunderland
Sheffield Hallam
Huddersfield
hmm out of them i'd reckon bournemouth is def the best reputation wise, with sheffield hallam and manchester met behind.

the rest are all a bit....crap really
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
hmm out of them i'd reckon bournemouth is def the best reputation wise, with sheffield hallam and manchester met behind.

i agree. the problem is that the uni's that you have listed are "new" and are probably former polytechnics that have managed to make its way to become a uni, though they still aren't really "uni's"
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
bournemouth is great formedia and voctional courses but has a bit of a crappy reputation for other stuff. I live about 30 min away from bmouth and the social life is fab, theres a huge ammount of clubs and pubs and it's lovely being near the beach.

However, the transport system is bloody awful. wilts and dorset buses is possiblythe worst bus company in the world. in 18 years i have never caught a bus that wason time and its really expensive. it costs me over a fiver to make a 30 min journey into the town. Also accomodation at bmouth is expensive and i don't think the uni has enough halls of residenses etc. on the negative side as well in the summer you can't moev for grockles (tourists)

anyway whichever uni you go to, you need to see and make a decision for yourself on the pros and cons
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the 2 unis are merging together soon anyway! it'll then be the largest full-time university in the country (currently it's Leeds- the Open University is bigger but has part-time students)

the best way of measuring reputation is maybe to look at a laegue table of most employed graduates to see how the unis appearin the eyes are those who pay the money (cos that's what we all want in the end). In the end look at the course that suits you best and it should tell you in each unis prospectus the employment figures for that particular course.

hope this helps!

lou xxx
gaga_kid
Rep:
?
Cheers for your help so far.. My grades were as follows GCSES : 1a, 4b, 4c and AS : BBCE - im dropping the E and retaking modules in the B and C!

At the moment I think in order my choices would be Bournemouth, Middlesex, Manchester Met, Westminster, Sheff Hallam, Luton!!

Bournemouth will def be my number 1... Middlesex ill choose cos its close to me dont know about it being second.. the others can and may change as hopefully I wont need to go past second choice..

Anymore help would be absolutley fab!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
your grades are pretty good, expect the E grade, y not apply to a top 20 university?, also what subjects did u get your AS in?
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I didn't wanna say incase some outraged Lincoln student threatened to kill me but yeah, they are all a bit pants. Thing is the course would be that common amongst better unis so if you really wanted to do that course you'd have to do it somewhere with a not so good rep. Don't you think a degree in television production might be a bit limiting?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.51%
No (535)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise