The Student Room Group

Charity Boss Pay - Why so high?

I have recently been put off donating money to charity because alot of the bosses running these charities are on astronomical pay and that I feel my donation is going in their back pocket.

I understand they do a hard job possbily. But at the end of the day you work for a charity. So surely the reward for the work is a medical breakthrough, more support, or saving more animals then a big fat pay packet.

Again I understand we need money in life to live. But I'll be more willing to give to charity if these people were on sensible salaries. Not the 100K+ some get. 60K is a very comfortable salary and better the majority. Still seems high for a charity to shell out on it. But I suppose the arguement is they have to pay these salaries to get the best people.

It's almost these people are running the charity for their own finanical gain and not the good causes these charities do. I just think if they gave up some of their salry then more could be done within the charity. I understand these boss might not have to eat steak everynight now, but surely it's better to have less steak and for a charity to train a few more guide dogs to help visually impaired people have some sort of independent living.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/salarysurvey/table/0,12406,1042677,00.html
Original post by Big_Jon

If you want the best, you have to pay for it. Nearly all these execs will have taken a salary cut to move to a charity, though perhaps in the form of other benefits (shares, car etc). It benefits the charity to get in these people who are very well connected, know how to network,are excellent ambassadors, have a very wide range of skills (accounting, law, communications, strategy are all absolutely vital to have a strong grasp of) - and you have to pay to get that.

And don't forget the need to talent goes further than the CEO, you want the best in the whole executive team. It pays off in the income generated to the charity, all charity work is a balance between costs and income, but in every feature of business, if spending an extra £1 generates an extra £5 in income, it's worth it. These high paid execs prove, through the evidence of their publicly available annual accounts, that they generate more income/charitable objects. If they don't, they are moved on.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
If you want the best, you have to pay for it. Nearly all these execs will have taken a salary cut to move to a charity, though perhaps in the form of other benefits (shares, car etc). It benefits the charity to get in these people who are very well connected, know how to network,are excellent ambassadors, have a very wide range of skills (accounting, law, communications, strategy are all absolutely vital to have a strong grasp of) - and you have to pay to get that.

And don't forget the need to talent goes further than the CEO, you want the best in the whole executive team. It pays off in the income generated to the charity, all charity work is a balance between costs and income, but in every feature of business, if spending an extra £1 generates an extra £5 in income, it's worth it. These high paid execs prove, through the evidence of their publicly available annual accounts, that they generate more income/charitable objects. If they don't, they are moved on.

But if they have came from a high salary job and taken a pay cut. Surely they can accept a really low salary as a token gesture when running the charity and live of their well invested money from previous job?
Original post by Big_Jon
But if they have came from a high salary job and taken a pay cut. Surely they can accept a really low salary as a token gesture when running the charity and live of their well invested money from previous job?

Yup, and their partner, and their kids, for the next 15 years of their career! How much do you give to charity, 50% of your income?

Quick Reply

Latest