Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am very intrigued by this course at UEA

BSc Computing Science with Imaging and Multimedia G450
    A-Level (typical offer): BBC

If you wish to combine a firm foundation in Computer Science with an interest in media (particularly film and video) then this programme, which places emphasis on information capture, will suit you. We are particularly well equipped in this area with a motion capture facility, a virtual environment system, an audio laboratory and digital non-linear video editing equipment. The first year is similar to G400 but includes film studies. In the second and third years you will choose from a range of cognate options including Sound and Image Processing, Signals and Systems, Graphics and Electronics. As with all of our degrees, one third of your final year marks are awarded on a project.
    Does anyone have any opinions?

Respected uni?
    Respected course?

I have NO understanding of computers or how to make programmes...will this hinder me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worried_mess)

Respected uni?
    Respected course?

I have NO understanding of computers or how to make programmes...will this hinder me?
    I'd say yes to all.

ReputationRep:

And you want to do a computing course ?

ReputationRep:
    not knowing about computers shouldn't hinder you in a computer science related course, particularly if a course like that. You just have to be sure that you want to spend your degree doing that.
    UEA is a fairly highly respected university for comp sci, and it doesn't sound like a bad course if that's what you're interested in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I'd say yes to all.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:

Respected uni?
    Respected course?

That's exactly the same course I applied for at UEA. I went to visit the university and really liked it, and the sound of the course. UEA's Computer Science courses are rated excellent and the facilities there are pretty good. I only chose Kent over UEA because I wanted to do a placement in my 3rd year. You are not expected to have an advanced knowledge of computers when beginning the course, but it is quite fast paced so you may find it harder to pick up than others if you have no prior experience or skills. If that's the kind of course you're interested in, you should also have a look at a similar one offered by Kent - Multimedia Technology and Design. Sussex also do a course like it, called Multimedia and Digital Systems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    It might if you find you hate programming.

Try getting hold of C for dummies and a free compiler and follow a few examples and try putting together a few programs and see how you like it.
    I'd suggest starting off my reverse engineering a game to change the rules (I do this all the time now).

ReputationRep:
    But I am not exactly sure what the course entails.

I have a merit GNVQ in ICT and have just done my AS in ICT which I will continue to A2. But basically they are piss easy, just making databases and stuff.

I dont know if the course requires you to make your own programmes etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

I have a merit GNVQ in ICT and have just done my AS in ICT which I will continue to A2. But basically they are piss easy, just making databases and stuff.

Well, do more research then! If you got that off the website, read the prospectus. If that was in the prospectus, check the website! Go and visit the university and ask questions! Read the prospectus to see what G400 is!

ReputationRep:
    Also remember this - if you get an offer its because they think that you would be alright on the course so don't worry about thinking that you will struggle.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand why you want to do a Computer Science course when you said you don't know anything about Computers? I'm not sure admissions tutors will understand why either and its them you have to convince. Isn't that a massive risk: to enroll in a degree which you know nothing about and may absolutely hate?

And I'd say you should email the uni to find out more about the course if there is no more info available online/ in the prospectus. Also ask them if your lack of knowledge about Comp Sci will hinder you, because I should think that it would, if you have absolutely nothing to explain why you are interested and why you want to do the course.

ReputationRep:

The course is almost exactly like a computer science course...it is called 'with Imaging and Multimedia' because the options you take in the 2nd and 3rd year are geared towards multimedia computing...like graphics and animation. The first year is EXACTLY the same as straight computer science. You do programming in Java and then later on, a bit of C and C++. There are also maths classes in the first year which are compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=who_me]The course is almost exactly like a computer science course...it is called 'with Imaging and Multimedia' because the options you take in the 2nd and 3rd year are geared towards multimedia computing...like graphics and animation. The first year is EXACTLY the same as straight computer science. You do programming in Java and then later on, a bit of C and C++. There are also maths classes in the first year which are compulsory.[/QUOTE]

Oh well it was a nice thought while it lasted. LOL.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.