The Student Room Group

My Career Path? Help!

Hi I'm a 17 year old in college, currently studying A Level ICT, Business and Computer Science. I tend to game everynow and again, and like to practise the guitar.

I do not know what I want to do when I'm older and was wondering if someone could give me any advice on how I can find my way?

I would like to go to Uni but do not know what I want to and don't want to make the same mistake that my sister did where she didn't enjoy what she did and wasted a year.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Computer Science?
Reply 2
It's called Computer Science in the U.K.

Computing in other places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Oliv3r99

I would like to go to Uni but do not know what I want to
Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm

Original post by TrojanH
Computer Science?
Here the top 5 universities in the UK for I.T:
http://advice.milkround.com/top-5-universities-for-it

And here's an overview about the I.T and Telecommunications sector, what typical jobs involve, salary expectations and qualifications needed:
http://advice.milkround.com/sector/telecommunications

I hope these help!
Original post by Oliv3r99
Hi I'm a 17 year old in college, currently studying A Level ICT, Business and Computer Science. I tend to game everynow and again, and like to practise the guitar.

I do not know what I want to do when I'm older and was wondering if someone could give me any advice on how I can find my way?

I would like to go to Uni but do not know what I want to and don't want to make the same mistake that my sister did where she didn't enjoy what she did and wasted a year.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have a careers advisor at your college? Talking to them can help you to identify your strengths and what careers you suit, and what steps to take there.

What are your main interests? You talk about gaming - maybe something suited in technology?

Many people take a gap year after finishing A-Levels, so if you are not certain, there is no need to rush into a course and find you don't enjoy it. A gap year can see you take employment or work experience to help you find out what career interests you. You can travel - either holiday or through volunteering.

The best course of action is to get informed as much as you can. Get lots of information about potential careers and degrees - perhaps speak to people who have done them. Go on university open days to find out what studying there is like and talk to staff and present students; this can give you a good impression of how you will find it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending