The Student Room Group

What is the importance of vocational subjects in UK schools?

Hello, Im currently investigating the importance of vocational and creavtive subjects in UK schools and would love to know what other peoples opinions are. As an A level art student I can see the benefits of choosing to study the vocational subjects however I would like to see what others have to say.

Are vocational and creative subjects such as Art, Drama and Music important?
I think there is somewhat of a distinction between creative subjects and vocational subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
okay do you feel that creative subjects such as art, drama and music are important to a students school like?
Original post by ge0rgiaa123
okay do you feel that creative subjects such as art, drama and music are important to a students school like?

I think such subjects can make school children more rounded. Or at least help them find what they are good at. Here are some examples:

Art - One of my friends studied science and did well in it and could have gone down the typical path of studing it at university. But art and art & design classes helped her find her passion and instead she went to art school and now is studying fashion design, runs a small costume making company thing and wants to become a professional costume designer amd is well on that path.

Drama - Two brothers I know now work at one of the most famous theatres in my city and are doing very well for themselves. They weren't baby actors or anything, drama lesson at school put them on this path.

Music - I know people who whilst not having played an instrument before, enjpyed music lessons, pursued music in their free time because of encouragment from their teachers and are now sound engineers etc.

I think creative subjects are important to give students a different view to the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
i would say drama and music in particular would allow students to build confidence and team work skills (e.g. doing performances in front of large audiences; group projects) and it also boosts creativity & communication skills - the things i mentioned might not seem the most 'useful' in terms of school and academics at first glace but they're very important skills to have in real life; most universities and employers are looking for people who have skills like that i mentioned. fair enough if you can churn out a million A* grades and be the best academic in the world but if you have no people skills, it's not great - no-one will want to work with you.
Reply 5
Can I ask... do you believe that students are too young at the age of 14 are too young to choose their GCSE options? Its proven that 14 year old pupils do not have fully developed brains, therefore does this mean they are unable to decide such important options?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending