Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Switching Universities watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi people,

Long time no see.

Anyway, after a crazy year at uni, I've had a sudden thought of a carrer change. You see, my first year didn't go too well; in fact, I had failed a quarter of the modules. While I admit I wasn't the perfect consciencious worker, I did spend a lot of time and effort on the subject, and to get my results back like that was truly discouraging.

Part of the reason was time allocation; I did spend too much time on some subjects at the cost of others; but even with more time spent, and more efficiently, I doubt I would have passed the year comfortably.

The degree has a lot of technical content, and is usually taught at speed, with multiple new concepts and ideas taught in a lecture that I just can't take in within 24 hours. I also have a short attention span - which can be quite a disadvantage when at lectures, labs and while working at my computer. It doesn't help trying to fully understand something if you're bored and have no motivation to do it any further.

While a non technical degree is advised by people I've talked to, it's not what I want; I prefer to have some knowledge from the world of computing and IT, while not settling in for one of those 9-5 hardcore programming jobs.

Anyway on to the question; I've sighted a new course, and while it has some programming content in it, it's rather diverse with statistics, psychology, business and law thrown into the equation. I was just wondering what are your thoughts on this? If you were facing failure (I still have a chance with resits soon), would you switch as I am considering now?

Also, are there any other first years (past and present) who had completed a year only to switch, or are considering to? If so, what was the process?

ReputationRep:
    If you really have your hear set on changing course then its what you should do, just research this course deeply to make sure you dont face this scinario again.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.