The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Staffordshire bull terriers - dangerous dogs

Another outrage involving a Staff - this time, it mauled to death its own owner. :eek4:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/29/man-mauled-to-death-by-dog-during-interview-bbc-film-crew-staffordshire-bull-terrier

There have been so many attacks involving Staffs, especially on children - yet they are still legal. Walk through any London park and you see loads running free off-lead with very young children around.

Isn't it time they were banned? The owners are generally not the right people to ask - I've just been reading stuff on Netmums about them and they are full of nonsense, including the usual stuff about 'any dog can bite' - the difference is that Staffs maul you to death.

Very put out about this issue. :angry:

Scroll to see replies

they are kinda Brexit dogs ? a well-behaved Labradoodle would belong to a Remainer.
They're ugly too, why not get a toy poodle or something instead
Original post by the bear
they are kinda Brexit dogs ? a well-behaved Labradoodle would belong to a Remainer.

:yep:

This. A retriever for example, whilst a fine English dog, would be very happy to be in Europe. There's something deeply rejectionist about a Staff. I imagine that's why Stoke was the most Brexitish place in the UK.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
:yep:

This. A retriever for example, whilst a fine English dog, would be very happy to be in Europe. There's something deeply rejectionist about a Staff. I imagine that's why Stoke was the most Brexitish place in the UK.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4630792
In the hands of responsible owners there's nothing wrong with them and they can make fine pets. The problems tend to be caused by irresponsible people training them to be more aggressive. Bad owners, not bad dogs.

No it is not time they were banned.
Another outrage involving a Staff - this time, it mauled to death its own owner. :eek4:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/29/man-mauled-to-death-by-dog-during-interview-bbc-film-crew-staffordshire-bull-terrier

There have been so many attacks involving Staffs, especially on children - yet they are still legal. Walk through any London park and you see loads running free off-lead with very young children around.

Isn't it time they were banned? The owners are generally not the right people to ask - I've just been reading stuff on Netmums about them and they are full of nonsense, including the usual stuff about 'any dog can bite' - the difference is that Staffs maul you to death.

all dogs can attack small children what ever breed and however well socialized they are my dog a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel years ago acted aggressively toward a month old baby.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
In the hands of responsible owners there's nothing wrong with them and they can make fine pets. The problems tend to be caused by irresponsible people training them to be more aggressive. Bad owners, not bad dogs.

No it is not time they were banned.

I don't know if it's true that it's just about the responsibility level of owners. In many of the attack cases involving Staffs, the owners swear that the dog had been well trained and was previously peaceable.

Really this is a gap in the law - Staffs were going to be included but the owners lobbied hard. The government shouldn't have given way to them, as they represent a danger to more than just the owners - it can be young children, who never had a choice, or other people. Also, stupid people do sometimes deserve protection from their own stupidity.

https://petolog.com/articles/most-aggressive-dogs.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/dog-breed-most-likely-to-attack-bite-you-revealed-a7166296.html
(edited 6 years ago)

Those articles are just silly. The bite of a small dog is annoying. A Staff can rip your arm off.
OP is still trying to undermine our culture by attacking the great British institution of owning a staffy.

(jk only drug dealers and morons own them)
Those articles are just silly. The bite of a small dog is annoying. A Staff can rip your arm off.

That is the actual legal reasoning. Nobody claims that Staffordshire bull terriers are more aggressive, the argument is that in the event of aggression they are more likely to cause damage. I would not outlaw them myself, but I don't like them and would have no personal qualms with anyone who wanted them banned.

The point is that all dogs can be dangerous and it's often the owners fault that they are, you'd be surprised at the damage some small dogs can do given the chance. Just because they have a reputation for being cute and fuzzy doesn't mean they won't attack you.

Labrador's are far worse for being aggressive, there's two on my estate whom are constantly let off the lead that have gone for our Border Collie numerous times, if I try to break up the scraps between them they'll go for me.

The Staffy that a friend has is incredibly docile and friendly, because she's been trained and raised in a healthy environment with good owners.

Should we also ban any other breed that have demonstrated a dangerous nature?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/horrifying-dog-attack-caught-camera-7754286

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003849/Boy-3-left-horrific-facial-injuries-Labrador-savages-Poole-Harbour.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3717873/Labradors-worst-dogs-biting-responsible-highest-number-personal-injury-claims.html

Edit: If we ban Staffy's then Labradors, Collies & German Shepherds should follow suit, they're just as capable to cause damage and are also responsible for several injuries.
(edited 6 years ago)
Lots of things are dangerous, we don't ban all of them.

Staffs in particular are an issue with culture. Like most dogs, they are largely a fashion accessory, just in this case it attracts people who seem to like to look 'hard' and having an aggressive dog is part of that.

The laws with regards to dangerous dogs has a huge, huge hole in it and that's personal responsibility. One of the puppies from my dog was put down as it bit a kid. What wasn't considered was that the kid in question had spent 20 winding the dog up, poking it,chasing it and generally being a right little ****. Hardly fair to the dog in my opinion.
I don't know about banning them but round here every Staff owner you will see is a typical roadguy and these dogs are pretty much used as weapons. Something probably does need to be done, it seems far too easy for the wrong people to get hold of these dogs.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I don't know about banning them but round here every Staff owner you will see is a typical roadguy and these dogs are pretty much used as weapons. Something probably does need to be done, it seems far too easy for the wrong people to get hold of these dogs.

If anything we should ban people from owning dogs unless they have a license to do so, that way we should hopefully be able to stop the scum of the world from owning them.
The owners are the issue. Plenty of staffies are totally calm and friendly and in the past they've been seen as great dogs for young kids. Small dogs tend to be more bitey because owners don't bother to train barking + aggression out of them because they can't do serious injury to anyone - it's not about the breed itself, just about how they're raised. Other large dogs e.g. german shepard, husky could be just as dangerous without adequate training + a good lifestyle... it's just that staffies have a certain image and so tend to get the wrong sort of owners more often.
Reply 17
I wonder why so many people hate staffs so much. Weren't they bred with floppy mouths so they could pull children away from danger without hurting them? They used to be family dogs.

We don't know the details about this attack, something could have happened to provoke the dog. That can happen with any dog! One of my friends had her nose torn to shreds by a lap dog (can't remember the breed) but because it's not a staff or a dog breed with a bad rep no one would care, it's just an unfortunate accident and 'maybe she caused it'. maybe if it had been a staffie everyone would have freaked out instead. idgi
Original post by ilon

We don't know the details about this attack, something could have happened to provoke the dog. That can happen with any dog!

It can happen with any dog, but how often do you read about people being mauled to death by a corgi?
Reply 19
It can happen with any dog, but how often do you read about people being mauled to death by a corgi?

I dunno, I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of the queens' :wink:

Latest