The Student Room Group

Do you think I'm a healthy size?

So the other day I stepped on the scales and was a bit surprised to find I'm heavier than what I thought - its been years since I weighed myself but estimated around 12 stone. Well no I'm actually 13 stone 10pounds. I'm a 22 year old bloke and 5ft 9inches tall and have a 34inch waist.I keep fairly active going for the odd run and eating reasonably well. Do I should in shape to you?

Scroll to see replies

I suppose if you type that information into the NHS bmi calculator it will tell you whether you are
a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips
Original post by quackers2000
a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips

What's that meant to mean mate?
Reply 4
Original post by Jahe
So the other day I stepped on the scales and was a bit surprised to find I'm heavier than what I thought - its been years since I weighed myself but estimated around 12 stone. Well no I'm actually 13 stone 10pounds. I'm a 22 year old bloke and 5ft 9inches tall and have a 34inch waist.I keep fairly active going for the odd run and eating reasonably well. Do I should in shape to you?

You are overweight, according to the BMI calculator. But it can be inaccurate, if you have a lot of muscles?
According to it, your weight should be 8st 13lb - 12 st 2lb (unless you are ripped)
Just look in the mirror dude. If you look in-shape you're in-shape, if you look soft you're soft.
Without pictures it's impossible to tell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup defo fat, it's time to go on a cut bro. I mean 87kg for a 5ft 9 guy, if you're lean you can't be that big. Especially if all you do is go on the "odd run".
well I'm 5"11 and 12.5 stone
but id say I'm fairly healthy abs aren't super Abbercrombie and Fitch levels of ripped but I'm quite well toned . There's a lot more too it than weight alone. some people are just heavier set in the way they're built due to stuff like muscle and bone densities.
Unless you have a lot of muscle, you're too heavy. For 5'9 the ideal weight is 11-11 and a half stone.
Original post by Jahe

Go for a check-up if you're concerned. No reason not to. You can presumably book one with your GP. If that's not available, or if you want to help medical science at the same time, sign up with a bio-bank. When I volunteered I was given a full check-up for my efforts. Well worth it.

Whatever you do, don't listen to knuckleheads on the internet. Apart from me, obv.
Original post by Nulliverse
Yup defo fat, it's time to go on a cut bro. I mean 87kg for a 5ft 9 guy, if you're lean you can't be that big. Especially if all you do is go on the "odd run".

Haha that was harsh. I can still fit in my 34 short jeans no probs and a large shirt like I have done for years. How much do you think I need to lose?
Original post by Jahe

13 stone 10 is 192lbs, tbh I think that's too big for your height.
Maybe 175lbs would be optimum but just focus on cutting some weight.
Do you have a lot of fat on your stomach,arms etc?
Original post by ALYAMAANI
13 stone 10 is 192lbs, tbh I think that's too big for your height.
Maybe 175lbs would be optimum but just focus on cutting some weight.
Do you have a lot of fat on your stomach,arms etc?

I have a gut, but always have been podgy round there. Thighs are quite big too. When I was 18 I was 11 stone and to be honest I think I looked too thin.
You're still lighter than me, I'm 14st 4lbs and 5'8.5"
Original post by Ciel.
You are overweight, according to the BMI calculator. But it can be inaccurate, if you have a lot of muscles?
According to it, your weight should be 8st 13lb - 12 st 2lb (unless you are ripped)

This logic is stupid. Overweight doesn't mean fat only. Overweight simply means you weigh more than is optimal for your height, age and gender.

Being overweight with muscle is just as bad as being overweight with fat (given that it's the same amount of weight) as muscle needs blood supply to provide nutrients and oxygen all day. Your heart has to work just as hard to supply blood to any kind of body tissue, be it muscle or fat. Overweight just means excess tissue and the type of tissue isn't particularly relevant.
Original post by Jahe
I have a gut, but always have been podgy round there. Thighs are quite big too. When I was 18 I was 11 stone and to be honest I think I looked too thin.

To answer you, I think it's hard to say without seeing a picture of you. It really depends on your bone structure (frame) and genetics. I'm 5'11 and not even your weight, so it does sound to me that you may be a bit overweight. 13st10 translates to 192 lbs. You should probably aim to be no higher than 13st IMO if you're worried about being overweight. Your BMI would be classed as overweight if you wanted to know. It all depends on what weight you're comfortable at, as BMI isn't entirely accurate.
Original post by zero766
This logic is stupid. Overweight doesn't mean fat only. Overweight simply means you weigh more than is optimal for your height, age and gender.

Being overweight with muscle is just as bad as being overweight with fat (given that it's the same amount of weight) as muscle needs blood supply to provide nutrients and oxygen all day. Your heart has to work just as hard to supply blood to any kind of body tissue, be it muscle or fat. Overweight just means excess tissue and the type of tissue isn't particularly relevant.

Do you even listen to the stuff you're saying? Who told you this stuff?
Original post by Nulliverse
Do you even listen to the stuff you're saying? Who told you this stuff?

It's the truth. You're delusional if you think you can be jacked and your heart doesn't have to work any harder. Humans weren't designed to carry large quantities of muscle mass, hence why it's so difficult to gain and maintain it.

I can link you something to back this up if you're still in denial.
Original post by zero766
It's the truth. You're delusional if you think you can be jacked and your heart doesn't have to work any harder. Humans weren't designed to carry large quantities of muscle mass, hence why it's so difficult to gain and maintain it.

I can link you something to back this up if you're still in denial.

Firstly, if natural, the amount of muscle you're thinking about is almost impossible for someone to attain, sure I agree, there are health complications when you start using steroids and jack up to around 200lbs+ but for the person who does it naturally, lifting helps with longevity, health, hormones, emotions and a whole lot more, secondly what do you mean by your heart working harder? Have you actually even step foot into the gym? I feel like the dunning kruger effect is occurring here.

Quick Reply