The Student Room Group

English KCL vs Birmingham vs York vs Glasgow

Hi everyone! I got conditional offers from King's College London, University of Birmingham, University of York and University of Glasgow to study English literature.
I was wondering if you could give me some advice since I'm really really undecided.

KCL is one of the best, of course. I also love the idea of living in London (I'm Italian). However, I have some doubts about the modules there.
University of York has a great English Department, but once again I'm not sure about the programme.
University of Birmingham is great for English and I quite like its modules.
I don't know much about English at University of Glasgow.

What would you suggest? Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by bri_98
Hi everyone! I got conditional offers from King's College London, University of Birmingham, University of York and University of Glasgow to study English literature.
I was wondering if you could give me some advice since I'm really really undecided.

KCL is one of the best, of course. I also love the idea of living in London (I'm Italian). However, I have some doubts about the modules there.
University of York has a great English Department, but once again I'm not sure about the programme.
University of Birmingham is great for English and I quite like its modules.
I don't know much about English at University of Glasgow.

What would you suggest? Thanks a lot :smile:

Can you be more specific about your doubts, what is it about KCL and York's modules that worry you? I have heard really good things about York's English department - it is especially good for medieval literature. I don't know much about the other places, I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Can you be more specific about your doubts, what is it about KCL and York's modules that worry you? I have heard really good things about York's English department - it is especially good for medieval literature. I don't know much about the other places, I'm afraid.

Well, KCL's modules are not that clear to me. I know that there are some compulsory modules and others that I get to choose, but I don't really know what each module entails - the website is not very helpful either -, so it's kind of difficult for me to fully understand if I like the programme or not.
York's modules are definitely clearer, but I'd like to know more about them. I also understand that their exam system is slightly different from other universities. You're telling me that York is good for medieval literature and now I'm even more confused because I'd love to pursue that path in my life. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that all these universities are good. I just need some help to decide.
I was thinking of choosing KCL as my first choice, but I was very undecided about my insurance acceptance because York is very very good, but I also heard that Birmingham's English Department is great, so I really don't know what to do. ๐Ÿ˜‚
Original post by bri_98
Well, KCL's modules are not that clear to me. I know that there are some compulsory modules and others that I get to choose, but I don't really know what each module entails - the website is not very helpful either -, so it's kind of difficult for me to fully understand if I like the programme or not.
York's modules are definitely clearer, but I'd like to know more about them. I also understand that their exam system is slightly different from other universities. You're telling me that York is good for medieval literature and now I'm even more confused because I'd love to pursue that path in my life. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that all these universities are good. I just need some help to decide.
I was thinking of choosing KCL as my first choice, but I was very undecided about my insurance acceptance because York is very very good, but I also heard that Birmingham's English Department is great, so I really don't know what to do. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Having a quick glance at the course content, it appears KCL is also quite good for medieval literature, so you can't really go wrong with either.

You can read more about KCL English modules here (level 4 = first year of degree, level 5 = second year etc): http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/english/modules/index.aspx

You can read more detailed descriptions about York's modules here: https://www.york.ac.uk/english/undergraduate/courses/modules/#tab-1

Quick Reply