The Student Room Group

[PETITION] Make online abuse a crime and create a register of offenders

Please sign the petition if you agree!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/190627

This petition was started by model, television personality and notorious philanthropist: Katie Price.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

She can stick it where the sun don't shine.
This is stupid imo, abuse and "trolling" is subjective there is no one definition to what is or isn't harmful and sometimes people just need to grow up.
Harassment on the other hand is an issue and rightly so already a crime.
Also when exactly do petitions actually make a difference? :tongue:
Original post by Conceited
She can stick it where the sun don't shine.

I'd prefer it if you didn't engage in hate speech in my thread.

You wouldn't want to end up on the troll offenders list now, would you?
if you cant handle a few bad comments then dont go on social media.
Original post by quackers2000
if you cant handle a few bad comments then dont go on social media.

Why should victims of hate speech have to restrict themselves from social media?
Reply 6
No, I'm not signing that.
How exactly do we define online abuse? Abuse is pretty much subjective, what one sees as abuse the other may not. There needs to be a clear definition with points of things which are and aren't included and examples if this is to go ahead. Atm, this is too open and seriously flawed.
Far too open ended, especially when sarcasm and tone doesn't really carry well at all over the internet half the time.
I'm so tired of people not understanding what trolling is. A troll is a faker, a provocateur, an instigator. To be a troll is not simply to bully people on the internet. Freaking normies.

And even if I lived in the UK, I would not sign that petition. The government should not be forcing more overbearing laws and criminalization into people's lives. If somebody says something unpleasant to you on the internet, grow up and either ignore it, block them, or have the website deal with it. Should it become a serious problem, and they genuinely start making your life difficult, there are already laws in place addressing that.

I say all this because this is essentially what things are becoming nowadays:

Waaaah, BigBallz89 called me a mean word on Twitter! Put him on a register! Arrest him! Harassment! Hate speeeaach!!

Bloody pathetic.
Original post by Dandaman1
I'm so tired of people not understanding what trolling is. A troll is a faker, a provocateur, an instigator. To be a troll is not simply to bully people on the internet. Freaking normies.

And even if I lived in the UK, I would not sign that petition. The government should not be forcing more overbearing laws and criminalization into people's lives. If somebody says something unpleasant to you on the internet, grow up and either ignore it, block them, or have the website deal with it. Should it become a serious problem, and they genuinely start making your life difficult, there are already laws in place addressing that.

Waaaah, BigBallz89 called me a mean word on Twitter! Put him on a register! Arrest him! Harassment! Hate speeeaach!!

Bloody pathetic.

#GasTheNormies
I'm going to be brutally honest and say that I don't support this petition and I hope it doesn't succeed. Police have bigger issues to be dealing with than petty things like John calling Sally a slut on Facebook. It's just not a priority and it's going to be directing resources away from more important things. Not to mention, it's going to be a ridiculously long process to prosecute anybody involved as you'll need to communicate with social media companies to find the real identity of an internet troll in order to take them to court. With VPNs, proxies etc in the mix it can take even longer. I would argue, why not just make the social media companies responsible for preventing online hate crime instead of using public money and getting the police to do their dirty work for them?
Original post by NickLCFC
I'd prefer it if you didn't engage in hate speech in my thread.

You wouldn't want to end up on the troll offenders list now, would you?

Stop threatening members of TSR who are engaging in free speech.
There are probably already laws that cover this?
yay lets make the internet a safe space!
No thanks. Start trying to criminalise "abuse" and it could very easily end up being used against people with certain political views or something like that. It could very easily end up being abused to infringe on freedom of speech. "Online abuse" is quite vague and hard to define, which is not good when you're talking about changing the law.

Things like threats of violence are an exception, but I would have thought existing laws would cover that. Apart from that, it's the responsibility of the actual site to deal with stuff like trolling and cyber bullying.
Original post by NickLCFC
Please sign the petition if you agree!

This petition was started by model, television personality and notorious philanthropist: Katie Price.

Brilliant idea, I would love to see internet Islamophobes and misogynists get justice served.
Original post by Dandaman1

Bloody pathetic.

A vulnerable person could endup self harming or worst because of abuses comments and even threats of violent s on social media. You might be lucky another to able to laugh it off but some people can't. That while I signed to protect vulnerable people from abuse online
Original post by looloo2134
A vulnerable person could endup self harming or worst because of abuses comments and even threats of violent s on social media. You might be lucky another to able to laugh it off but some people can't. That while I signed to protect vulnerable people from abuse online

There are already laws that cover this.
No.

Quick Reply