Transfer to a better uni or stick to the one I'm at? Which is better longterm?

Watch
SharkEel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Basically, I have a place at Uni of Aberdeen for Comp Sci/Physics and it concerns me that the 2017 rankings are so so far away from the previous year's rankings in physics (2017 comp sci = 35th, 2009 comp sci = 13th, so an obvious drop, and then 2017 physics = 20th, 2016 physics = 42nd, so an unexpected increase, but not consistent with previous rankings at all which are around 40~).

Due to my circumstances I only hold an offer at aberdeen to start in sep 2017, but all the research i've done so far indicates it's not a good university for computing and physics. I also live in england so it's pretty far from home.

My question is: Do uni rankings/'names' (prestige) really matter for undergrad degrees, and will it impact my job prospects negatively if I go to aberdeen for the 4 year degree? Also, will the teaching differ in quality substantially from a better uni like Manchester or Leeds for example? I heard from some people that you mostly teach yourself at uni anyway.

And if it will be a bad choice to go to aberdeen, would it be possible to transfer to a better university from Aberdeen or will I have to withdraw my place and reapply for 2018 entry if I'm wanting to go to a better uni? Is it worth it to do this?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SharkEel)
Basically, I have a place at Uni of Aberdeen for Comp Sci/Physics and it concerns me that the 2017 rankings are so so far away from the previous year's rankings in physics (2017 comp sci = 35th, 2009 comp sci = 13th, so an obvious drop, and then 2017 physics = 20th, 2016 physics = 42nd, so an unexpected increase, but not consistent with previous rankings at all which are around 40~).

Due to my circumstances I only hold an offer at aberdeen to start in sep 2017, but all the research i've done so far indicates it's not a good university for computing and physics. I also live in england so it's pretty far from home.

My question is: Do uni rankings/'names' (prestige) really matter for undergrad degrees, and will it impact my job prospects negatively if I go to aberdeen for the 4 year degree? Also, will the teaching differ in quality substantially from a better uni like Manchester or Leeds for example? I heard from some people that you mostly teach yourself at uni anyway.

And if it will be a bad choice to go to aberdeen, would it be possible to transfer to a better university from Aberdeen or will I have to withdraw my place and reapply for 2018 entry if I'm wanting to go to a better uni? Is it worth it to do this?
Ranking really doesn't matter - as you've seen, they fluctuate each year. Different ranking systems also have different orders, so there's no definite rank that is correct.
It's more important to think about other factors such as the facilities, the accommodation, the distance from home (can you get their easily with your stuff at the start and end of each year?), the fees, the destination of degree finishers (you can find out how many graduates go into employment, and can then compare this with other unis) etc.

It is sometimes possible to transfer universities. Not all unis will accept transfers, though, and sometimes courses aren't compatible. You need to have studied broadly similar topics in your first year to the topics covered by the potential new university. The new university then has to have spaces, and to accept your qualifications.
Transfers are therefore really not guaranteed. You should not take the first year with the sole aim of transferring - if you can't, you've then wasted a whole year and a lot (a lot!) of money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.9%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (68)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.43%

Watched Threads