The Student Room Group

Why are British waters so grey looking?

Since the weather has been good recently a friend and I decided to walk to the Beach, whenever we visit the beach, we always make a comment on how dark and grey the water is compared to other places.

Accurate representation
Sea.png

So why are British waters so grey and just look filthy?

Not really an accurate representation due to (filter) couldn't find original photo.
Original post by squirrology
Since the weather has been good recently a friend and I decided to walk to the Beach, whenever we visit the beach, we always make a comment on how dark and grey the water is compared to other places.

Accurate representation
Sea.png

Not really an accurate representation due to (filter) couldn't find original photo.

Or black/mud grey looking
Reply 2
i am british water and let me tell you, being british water is actually a great thing. we have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like any race. I for 1 am a great person, have great friends, and i take care of every one that is in my life and i am glad to do it, and for that i have people that love me around me. also, british water parents are one of the best parents you can have. sometimes they can be really strict, but they will take care of you no matter what, and they will buy you what ever it is that you need. as long as your not a selfish ****head. Also, we all have great jobs, lots of money and a family that we all love and take care off.
Reflects the people

jk

Accurate representation

Spoiler

I would say it's normally more of a greenish colour than a grey one when it's particularly miserable outside.

And if you use a picture from a day that's actually sunny it can be quite blue I'll have you know.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
I would say it's normally more of a greenish colour than a grey one when it's particularly miserable outside.

And if you use a picture from a day that's actually sunny it can be quite blue I'll have you know.

Spoiler

Nah, where I live it's still looks the same no matter the weather.

Original post by Popcornn
i am british water and let me tell you, being british water is actually a great thing. we have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like any race. I for 1 am a great person, have great friends, and i take care of every one that is in my life and i am glad to do it, and for that i have people that love me around me. also, british water parents are one of the best parents you can have. sometimes they can be really strict, but they will take care of you no matter what, and they will buy you what ever it is that you need. as long as your not a selfish ****head. Also, we all have great jobs, lots of money and a family that we all love and take care off.

L O L ok then :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you mean grey like this sea in Cornwall?

(edited 7 years ago)

Accurate representation
Sea.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/4wjlql/eli5_why_is_the_ocean_sometimes_really_dark_like/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/201505226-is-the-sea-really-blue

sorry not typing it out as you cna read for yourself. Light, depth, whats in it etc. those links show how and why the colour can change. Its not automatically about it being dirty.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
L O L ok then :rofl:

:teehee:

I actually live in Newcastle and the water here is always grey but I'm not sure if its just the North Sea lol
Because it's not Barbados. It's Whitby on wet Wednesday in March. What do you want, jam on it? :smile:
Original post by uberteknik
Do you mean grey like this sea in Cornwall?

Image isn't showing.

Ah, that explanation makes sense, thanks.
Image isn't showing.

Ah, that explanation makes sense, thanks.

It's not dirt - it's the sky colour that makes it look grey - cloudy sky = grey sea, blue sky blue sea (although it's less blue where you've got grey rocks/stony beaches instead of sand but even then on a sunny day it will be bluer)
Reply 13
I'm confident it's to do with the colour of the sky. In the photos you showed us, it's quite cloudy and the sky is really grey, therefore it makes sense that the water will also be grey because it's essentially one huge reflection. If there's a grey car behind you, you'll see a grey car in your wing mirror.

Quick Reply

Latest