The Student Room Group

Doing computer science foundation course worth it?

I want to study computer science at a good university. As i am an international mature student, is it worth it ? If i apply to regular and foundation course to same uni in UCAS application is there a chance uni would definitely reject my regular course choice and just offer me the foundation course. My standard 12 results are a decade old with some irrelevant work experience. Thanks.
Original post by vinny99
I want to study computer science at a good university. As i am an international mature student, is it worth it ? If i apply to regular and foundation course to same uni in UCAS application is there a chance uni would definitely reject my regular course choice and just offer me the foundation course. My standard 12 results are a decade old with some irrelevant work experience. Thanks.

If you want to go to a good university and you don't have the required grades (or they're too old) then yes doing a foundation year is worth it. You can apply to a foundation course and a regular degree at the same university, you would not be automatically rejected just for applying to two courses. That said, I suggest you email individual universities and ask what they think.

Which universities are you interested in?
Reply 2
I second what Snufkin said - always talk to universities directly. From my personal experience they have very different approaches. Some will not care how old your grades are, some want it to be no older than 5-6 years old, some ask for proof of recent studying. Depends which universities you're thinking of.
Original post by Snufkin
If you want to go to a good university and you don't have the required grades (or they're too old) then yes doing a foundation year is worth it. You can apply to a foundation course and a regular degree at the same university, you would not be automatically rejected just for applying to two courses. That said, I suggest you email individual universities and ask what they think.

Which universities are you interested in?

Thanks for your replies. I had shortlisted these unis - UoBirningham, York, UoSheffield, Loughborough and UoEdinburgh. I now know Edinburgh might not be very receptive to mature students from what I read here. Which good unis do you recommend. Thanks
Original post by vinny99
Thanks for your replies. I had shortlisted these unis - UoBirningham, York, UoSheffield, Loughborough and UoEdinburgh. I now know Edinburgh might not be very receptive to mature students from what I read here. Which good unis do you recommend. Thanks

I applied to Edinburgh as a mature student and I got in, it's always worth applying if you like the university. Not sure where else to recommend... most universities are quite accommodating to mature students. I know that Durham has its own foundation centre and offers lots of different foundation years, so that might be a good place to look.
Original post by Snufkin
I applied to Edinburgh as a mature student and I got in, it's always worth applying if you like the university. Not sure where else to recommend... most universities are quite accommodating to mature students. I know that Durham has its own foundation centre and offers lots of different foundation years, so that might be a good place to look.

Thanks. I'll definitely have a look at Durham foundation centre and what if I apply to these 5 unis and they all reject me. Do they have a way to offer me a foundation course maybe ? How does this work in case of all rejections.
Original post by vinny99
Thanks. I'll definitely have a look at Durham foundation centre and what if I apply to these 5 unis and they all reject me. Do they have a way to offer me a foundation course maybe ? How does this work in case of all rejections.

If they all reject you then you could try and find a foundation year in UCAS Clearing. See here for more info: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/no-offers-learn-how-clearing-works
Original post by Snufkin
If they all reject you then you could try and find a foundation year in UCAS Clearing. See here for more info: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/no-offers-learn-how-clearing-works

Ok thanks a ton for the guidance and links. May I ask what was your age when you got in Edinburgh. Or how old were your latest grades. Thanks again
Original post by vinny99
Ok thanks a ton for the guidance and links. May I ask what was your age when you got in Edinburgh. Or how old were your latest grades. Thanks again

Er I was 23 when I applied to Edinburgh, my main qualification was only a few months old though. I suggest you phone the relevant admission tutor at Edinburgh (call them, don't email - better to talk to people directly) and ask what the chances of being accepted with old qualifications are. If they give you a negative response then don't apply.
Original post by Snufkin
Er I was 23 when I applied to Edinburgh, my main qualification was only a few months old though. I suggest you phone the relevant admission tutor at Edinburgh (call them, don't email - better to talk to people directly) and ask what the chances of being accepted with old qualifications are. If they give you a negative response then don't apply.

I'll do the same as you have mentioned. Thanks again for the replies.

Quick Reply

Latest