sabrinaclark23
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm stressing out over my English folio that's due tomorrow and I've wrote a draft on gun control in the USA but I feel like it's terrible so I need a good intro that will really persuade and engage the reader, I was thinking how America is portrayed as more of a fantasy in movies and the American dream opens opportunities but there's still problems with gun violence, I just don't know how to word it or link it to gun control, any help would be great!!
Syndron
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sabrinaclark23)
Hi, I'm stressing out over my English folio that's due tomorrow and I've wrote a draft on gun control in the USA but I feel like it's terrible so I need a good intro that will really persuade and engage the reader, I was thinking how America is portrayed as more of a fantasy in movies and the American dream opens opportunities but there's still problems with gun violence, I just don't know how to word it or link it to gun control, any help would be great!!
So you 'think', but what is your overall argument? And do you have any ideas how the American dream or the portrayal of America as a 'fantasy' is connected to gun control?
sabrinaclark23
Rep:
(Original post by Syndron)
So you 'think', but what is your overall argument? And do you have any ideas how the American dream or the portrayal of America as a 'fantasy' is connected to gun control?
Basically that there should be more gun control laws set in place but nope that's the problem I'm having, I don't think it would link in any way, I just want an idea for a powerful introduction that would obviously relate to my argument
narpip
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Perhaps introduce with statistics? They can be bold and eye catching which is why a lot of newspapers use them. However I would suggest if you want to be more critical which often gets you more marks, argue both sides. Perhaps look at countries that have gun laws but still have a lot of gun crime?
sabrinaclark23
Rep:
(Original post by narpip)
Perhaps introduce with statistics? They can be bold and eye catching which is why a lot of newspapers use them. However I would suggest if you want to be more critical which often gets you more marks, argue both sides. Perhaps look at countries that have gun laws but still have a lot of gun crime?
Yeah I did start off with a statistic, I was hoping to just argue one side to make it persuasive so I've went down the route of saying that countries with strict gun laws have less gun deaths
Syndron
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sabrinaclark23)
Yeah I did start off with a statistic, I was hoping to just argue one side to make it persuasive so I've went down the route of saying that countries with strict gun laws have less gun deaths
Counterargument against that would be are you trying to say that countries with strict gun laws, they reduce death overall? You can have less guns, but there are more weapons that can be used to kill people. (This is just an idea, I don't think it's related to what you're talking about lol. (feel free to correct me))
sabrinaclark23
Rep:
(Original post by Syndron)
Counterargument against that would be are you trying to say that countries with strict gun laws, they reduce death overall? You can have less guns, but there are more weapons that can be used to kill people. (This is just an idea, I don't think it's related to what you're talking about lol. (feel free to correct me))
yeah that's true but for my essay I'm just talking about guns and how stricter guns laws would restrict dangerous people accessing guns, educate younger people, save government money that could be used on other things and I compared it with the U.K. Who have strict gun laws as they have less gun deaths which shows the effectiveness of guns laws
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (138)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.29%
No (110)
27.03%
I'm not sure (52)
12.78%

Watched Threads