The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough, for Oxbridge entry 2018?

I have gotten the following: 987A*A*A*A*A*A*AB in my recent mocks, and I am sure with hard work and more revision I can reproduce and improve these grades for the summer. I got the grade 9 in maths, and 8 in english lang and 7 in english lit. So overall 8A* (equivilant) grades, 2As and a B). Is this good enough, roughly, for oxbirdge entry 2018?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Oddwatermelon
10A* minimum for Oxbridge entry, sorry peasant

You're completely wrong. There is no set requirement for the number of A* grades achieved at GCSE level actually, sorry dumbass.
Reply 2
Original post by School_ftw
You're completely wrong. There is no set requirement for the number of A* grades achieved at GCSE level actually, sorry dumbass.

You've answered your own question then...
Reply 3
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Actually, you're wrong, dumbass. You need 10A* at GCSE and 6A* at A-level. You also need to be able to play one of the violin or flute, and have a father who sits in the House of Lords.

While I'm laughing my ass off reading this, you clearly have nothing better to do than to attempt and massively fail at being funny. I'm not going to waste time with a low-life, goodbye, you're now on my ignore list :smile:
Reply 4

I agree with you, but what was the point in asking this question if you knew this answer? Oxford care more about GSCEs than Cambridge do, but grades like that definitely won't hold you back.
Reply 5
Come on... you know that those grades are good enough for Oxbridge
Reply 6
Original post by Ymes1
I agree with you, but what was the point in asking this question if you knew this answer? Oxford care more about GSCEs than Cambridge do, but grades like that definitely won't hold you back.

Original post by TajwarC
You've answered your own question then...

I'm interested in the opinions of others, purely so I can see what sort of people (mostly their grades) are/might be, who are likewise aiming for oxbridge.
I have gotten the following: 987A*A*A*A*A*A*AB in my recent mocks, and I am sure with hard work and more revision I can reproduce and improve these grades for the summer. I got the grade 9 in maths, and 8 in english lang and 7 in english lit. So overall 8A* (equivilant) grades, 2As and a B). Is this good enough, roughly, for oxbirdge entry 2018?

Yeah that's definitely enough, but to be honest GCSE's aren't imperative to you gaining a place. It's your A Levels that you really need to perform in. My friend got 2 A* and like 7 A's at GCSE but has got a place doing History at Cambridge. So I wouldn't worry too much, but either way your GCSE grades are pretty impressive.
Reply 8
Original post by Ashahwe7
Yeah that's definitely enough, but to be honest GCSE's aren't imperative to you gaining a place. It's your A Levels that you really need to perform in. My friend got 2 A* and like 7 A's at GCSE but has got a place doing History at Cambridge. So I wouldn't worry too much, but either way your GCSE grades are pretty impressive.

That's good to hear. I have heard that the importance of GCSE grades has increased, with the A Level reform (and most schools not offering AS levels, therefore not having any actually achieved grades to be judged on), as you won't have the actual A level grades yet. Not sure though.
That's good to hear. I have heard that the importance of GCSE grades has increased, with the A Level reform (and most schools not offering AS levels, therefore not having any actually achieved grades to be judged on), as you won't have the actual A level grades yet. Not sure though.

That's a fair point because my Year group are the last to have non-linear exams. So I guess that is something to take into consideration. But then again you should have progress exams that will act as a way to project your predicted grades, which will be sent in your Application.
For heaven's sake...
Original post by Reality Check
For heaven's sake...

My reaction exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
My reaction exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile

It actually made me slightly cross - I know that's bad...:frown:
Reply 13

I'm sorry? Why's asking a simple question bad? I simply want to know if it's the sort of grades that people may possibly get at GCSE level, when applying to oxbridge... Not sure what's so bad about that :biggrin:

It's why we are here but yeah... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
While I'm laughing my ass off reading this, you clearly have nothing better to do than to attempt and massively fail at being funny. I'm not going to waste time with a low-life, goodbye, you're now on my ignore list :smile:

It was funny lmao
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Thought the new grade 1-9 has yet to be examined for the first time? :wink:)

Trollololol

Same lmaooo

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry? Why's asking a simple question bad? I simply want to know if it's the sort of grades that people may possibly get at GCSE level, when applying to oxbridge... Not sure what's so bad about that :biggrin:

Yes no maybe so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

No it hasn't. Not for Cambridge anyway.

And for Oxford their Admissions Tests are usually more important (HAT, PAT, ELAT, MAT, etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're perfectly entitled to ask whatever question you want on TSR, so long as it doesn't break the community rules. However:

(a) This question has been asked 1.392 x 108 times. A simple search would reveal the answer.

(b) You are seriously wondering whether 8 A* grades are 'enough' to allow you to apply to Oxford or Cambridge? Seriously? What you would do if someone told you: 'oh no, you need at least 10 A* to even be able to apply'? I suspect you wouldn't believe that was true. And, therefore, you've got a very good idea that 8 A* are of course sufficient.

(c) We're having inflation in these types of posts. We used to get 'Are 6 A* and 2 A's sufficient?'. It now seems to be 8 A*, and I've even seen someone asking if 10 A* would 'be enough'. It's just a bit silly, isn't it...?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest