Do you believe pedophiles can be treated so they don't abuse children?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
nikki3lizabethx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know this is a very controversial subject, and I am doing a dissertation by comparing two different strategies within Europe to see if there is an effective way to actually prevent child sexual abuse from happening. (I do understand that people get upset at this subject, and I do not agree with abusing a child whatsoever).

But do people believe that pedophiles can actually be helped so it stops them from abusing a child?

I wanted to also add into my research project how society views this, and if they think that we can actually encourage pedophiles to come forward in order to protect our children.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nikki3lizabethx)
I know this is a very controversial subject, and I am doing a dissertation by comparing two different strategies within Europe to see if there is an effective way to actually prevent child sexual abuse from happening. (I do understand that people get upset at this subject, and I do not agree with abusing a child whatsoever).

But do people believe that pedophiles can actually be helped so it stops them from abusing a child?

I wanted to also add into my research project how society views this, and if they think that we can actually encourage pedophiles to come forward in order to protect our children.
Controlling temptations, yes.

Stopping being attracted to children may be a different story.
Eternalflames
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A lobotomy should work just fine for them
nikki3lizabethx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Eternalflames)
A lobotomy should work just fine for them
I have seen a video where a doctor in the USA had two different brains on a screen, a normal person's brain, and a pedophiles brain. It showed that a pedophile had different wiring in their brain compared to a normal humanbeings brain.
erxci
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you can teach a dog how to ride a skateboard, I think you can teach a paedophile to stop extorting children.

If you give them a motive, they're more likely to stop.
Cherub012
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Give them sex toys... specifically made for pedophiles. In order to channel their energy somewhere else.
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Paedophilia has changed over time - there are some countries where sex is legal at 13, and states in the US where it's legal to marry at 12. Childhood is a social construct.

You can also argue that paedophilia is the term to describe sexual attraction to a pre-pubescent person, if we remove the context from it, it's no different that stating that homosexuality is the sexual preference of same-sex people. You wouldn't ask a homosexual or even heterosexual person why they're attracted to the sex they are, we just accept it.
The views on homosexuality have changed too, as it was previously deemed a mental disorder.

So in your dissertation, you should be exploring the impact of social change, the construct of childhood and cultural differences.

I used to work with a charity that supported paedophile rehabilitation. Essentially, 5 volunteers would be in constant contact with one paedophile and support them with any thoughts or needs they had - not sexual needs, however, you were unable to join the scheme if you looked younger...
Ray04
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not all pedophiles are child molesters and not all child molesters are pedophiles. There is an important distinction to be made there. I acknowledge that there are many people out there that are pedophiles, some of whom despise their desires every day; and they claim they would never harm a child in their entire life. The etiology of pedophilia can be attributed to both biological and environmental factors, of which I dont have time to go into. Pedophilia, like many types of disturbances or diseases, does not yet have a complete cure. The sexual urges associated with pedophilia may never permanently disappear, and a person’s sexual preference and orientation can be difficult to completely re-orient. How difficult would it be for a therapist to try and re-orientate a heterosexual man into a homosexual man? See the problem? Its an area of psychology which is still in its infancy. Therefore like with any other obscure disorder, such as schizophrenia, it is uncertain if pedophilia can be cured.
Liyana02.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ray04)
Not all pedophiles are child molesters and not all child molesters are pedophiles. There is an important distinction to be made there. I acknowledge that there are many people out there that are pedophiles, some of whom despise their desires every day; and they claim they would never harm a child in their entire life. The etiology of pedophilia can be attributed to both biological and environmental factors, of which I dont have time to go into. Pedophilia, like many types of disturbances or diseases, does not yet have a complete cure. The sexual urges associated with pedophilia may never permanently disappear, and a person’s sexual preference and orientation can be difficult to completely re-orient. How difficult would it be for a therapist to try and re-orientate a heterosexual man into a homosexual man? See the problem? Its an area of psychology which is still in its infancy. Therefore like with any other obscure disorder, such as schizophrenia, it is uncertain if pedophilia can be cured.
This is true. There is a difference between pedos and child molesters. Forensic psychology will explain this more
Somepersonhere
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm 19 now and I will admit, that I do find some girls that are like 13-14 hot/pretty/cute lol. doesnt mean I would rape them xd
Also nothing wrong with girls 18 etc to me.
I know how to world works and whats wrong and good.
Cherub012
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Somepersonhere)
I'm 19 now and I will admit, that I do find some girls that are like 13-14 hot/pretty/cute lol. doesnt mean I would rape them xd
Also nothing wrong with girls 18 etc to me.
I know how to world works and whats wrong and good.
There's nothing 'wrong' with it but I would avoid saying stuff like that in a public space.
Ray04
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cherub012)
There's nothing 'wrong' with it but I would avoid saying stuff like that in a public space.
Though I agree with you, the man is entitled to his opinions and beliefs. One can't be held liable for thoughts or desires if they haven't acted upon it. The whole criminal justice system is based on action and mindset, actus reus and mens rea. Without both, except a few exceptions, you can't be liable. Now on that basis, the guy may find underage girls 'pretty' but he wont be liable for any offence. It is morally wrong by standards of society but not criminally wrong unless he acts upon the urges. Thats why there are many pedophiles out in society who we dont know about and live amongst us. We know about the molesters because they have acted upon their urges and get prosecuted accordingly but pedophiles haven't. Think of it like this, you may want to kill someone (which is morally wrong) but if you dont act on it what can you be held liable for? Your desires? Your thoughts? Paedophilia is a far more complex issue than it first appears.

But to answer your question in regards to the dissertation, I dont know which aspects you will cover but you could write books on the matter if you go into alot of areas. Are there any effective strategies? Well that depends, do you believe in free will or determinism? Do you believe in punishment or rehabilitation? Much of the strategies implemented will have a theoretical perspective as a basis. For example, if a society believes in free will they may choose a strategy which emphasises punishment since they need to be punished for their actions against the victims. If a society believes in determinism, they may implement a more rehabilitation focused strategy to help treat the person. The actual effectiveness of a strategy would depend on recidivism rates, did X person who underwent X treatment have a lower recidivism rate than Y person who underwent Y treatment? If so it is a more effective strategy.

Finally, to your last question, do people believe if paedophiles can be helped? Again, this entirely depends on if you're referring to paedophiles or molestors. With either definition you still have the issue of subjectivity since the main word you used is 'BELIEVE'. The belief someone can be treated is entirely subjective, one person may believe they cannot whilst another believes they can be helped.
username4222532
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by nikki3lizabethx)

Pedophiles cant be treated they are born that way just like a straight guy and girl are born/ or a gay guy or girl are born /same with bi guys and girls
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by laughinglad999)
Pedophiles cant be treated they are born that way just like a straight guy and girl are born/ or a gay guy or girl are born /same with bi guys and girls
No.
Paedophilia is not a sexual orientation as heterosexual, bisexual and homosexual are.
Nor are all paedophiles born exclusively interested in molesting pre-pubescent children, some develop those type of desires as teens or adults.
Some paedophiles are sexually active with adults, married, celibate or have sexually molested teenagers and adults too.
username4222532
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
No.
Paedophilia is not a sexual orientation as heterosexual, bisexual and homosexual are.
Nor are all paedophiles born exclusively interested in molesting pre-pubescent children, some develop those type of desires as teens or adults.
Some paedophiles are sexually active with adults, married, celibate or have sexually molested teenagers and adults too.
Its in there genes from day one in some it comes out as they are teenagers or adults its been going on since we lived in caves same with incest
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (7)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
14.29%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
7.14%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (2)
14.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (1)
7.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
7.14%

Watched Threads