How did you find this exam?

Amazing! :woo: 30%
Good :H 32%
Okay :indiff: 21%
Bad :sad: 9%
HORRIBLE PAPER!!! :@8%
Total votes: 419

Edexcel AS (Further) Maths Discussion Thread - 2017 Edition

EDIT: Unofficial Markscheme can be found here!

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Further Pure 1
Date: Friday 19th May 2017
Time: Morning
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 1 :crazy:

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find all Edexcel Maths past papers [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371"]here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. Materials for FP1 can be found here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence!

Other Edexcel Exam Threads:
C1 and C2 - 17th and 24th May
C3 and C4 - 20th and 23rd June
Mechanics M1 - 14th June
Mechanics M2 - 16th June
Mechanics M3 - 17th May
FP2 - 7th June
FP3 - 26th June
Decision D1 - 16th June
Decision D2 - 23rd June
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There are practice papers for FP1 (and the other modules) on our website that students may find helpful when revising for this exam.

Find them here: www.crashmaths.com/a-level-practice-papers
I'll hang around here and help out where I can. :smile:
Original post by _gcx
I'll hang around here and help out where I can. :smile:

Great stuff, thank you! :smile:
Table showing the raw marks needed for 80, 90 and 100 UMS in FP1 since 2010 :awesome::

fp1 ums correlation.png

Doing this as part of my AS further maths... One of my first exams..Eek... looking for an A, gonna try and get as high as UMS possible so that I can have room for error elsewhere.
Original post by Xphoenix
Doing this as part of my AS further maths... One of my first exams..Eek... looking for an A, gonna try and get as high as UMS possible so that I can have room for error elsewhere.

Snap - it's my 2nd exam and I'm pretty nervous for it, I'm fine with all the content in FP1 but I always mess up the exam questions :erm:. I'm also hoping for an A so let's hope we get them!
I think I'm liking FP1 the most out of the three modules we're doing in Further Maths. :hide:
Phew those UMS boundaries are actually quite reassuring, for FM I'm sitting FP1, D1, D2 :smile:. FP1 is the most interesting imo.
The papers are okay and im getting low 60s, however the IAL papers are a LOT harder and 2016 was similar styled so i got a lot to dooo
Original post by Jackoburst
Phew those UMS boundaries are actually quite reassuring, for FM I'm sitting FP1, D1, D2 :smile:. FP1 is the most interesting imo.

I'm doing the same modules, I think I like D2 best. FP1 feels a bit too random for me - the chapters don't really link together much :erm:

Original post by gotabellynow
The papers are okay and im getting low 60s, however the IAL papers are a LOT harder and 2016 was similar styled so i got a lot to dooo

That's pretty good tbh, looking at the past boundaries you seem to be doing fine. I'm sure with more work you'll do even better :h:
Original post by TheOtherSide.
I think I'm liking FP1 the most out of the three modules we're doing in Further Maths. :hide:

This is more common than you think! I know a few people who like FP1 the most :yep: Which other modules are you doing and what are you aiming for?

Why FP1 in particular? lol
Original post by NiamhM1801
I'm doing the same modules, I think I like D2 best. FP1 feels a bit too random for me - the chapters don't really link together much :erm:

I know what you mean, but I feel that the same goes for all of the pure modules, to be honest.

Decision maths looks tedious to me, considering many of the algorithms were created to solve problems within CompSci, and hence were largely intended to be automated (or semi-automated). Though, I guess doing it by hand provides a better understanding for the algorithms themselves. I mean, no-one in their right mind would have to do a quicksort by hand outside of D1/D2. :redface:
Original post by _gcx
I know what you mean, but I feel that the same goes for all of the pure modules, to be honest.

Decision maths looks tedious to me, considering many of the algorithms were created to solve problems within CompSci, and hence were largely intended to be automated (or semi-automated). Though, I guess doing it by hand provides a better understanding for the algorithms themselves. I mean, no-one in their right mind would have to do a quicksort by hand outside of D1/D2. :redface:

Hm yeah I suppose it does, just stands out more in FP1 for me :dontknow:

Oh yeah, decision maths is infuriating at the best of times because you just know that a computer could do everything much much faster, but once you get past that it's not so bad. I do think D1 is just purely dull, but some of the content in D2 is a bit more involved and interesting. Quick sorts are okay, it's the bubble sort that's the killer :redface:
This is more common than you think! I know a few people who like FP1 the most :yep: Which other modules are you doing and what are you aiming for?

It's also probbbably because I've had the most practise in FP1. I'm doing M1 and M2 for further maths and then C1, C2 and S1 in my maths lessons. What about you?

Original post by _gcx
Why FP1 in particular? lol

I just really don't like mechanics. :colondollar:
It's also probbbably because I've had the most practise in FP1. I'm doing M1 and M2 for further maths and then C1, C2 and S1 in my maths lessons. What about you?

I just really don't like mechanics. :colondollar:

That's fair enough then :redface:

I find that FP2 and FP3 are far more interesting, myself.
Original post by _gcx
That's fair enough then :redface:

I find that FP2 and FP3 are far more interesting, myself.

I haven't covered FP2 or FP3 yet but that'll probably be me too :tongue:
Hm yeah I suppose it does, just stands out more in FP1 for me :dontknow:

Oh yeah, decision maths is infuriating at the best of times because you just know that a computer could do everything much much faster, but once you get past that it's not so bad. I do think D1 is just purely dull, but some of the content in D2 is a bit more involved and interesting. Quick sorts are okay, it's the bubble sort that's the killer :redface:

Exactly, D1 is a very boring foundation for D2.
Quick sorts are okay, it's the bubble sort that's the killer :redface:

I saw an examiner's report that suggested that people ran out of time doing bubble sorting, actually, because they showed every comparison individually.

Quick Reply

Latest