ZestyNeko
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey!

I am picking my gcse subjects soon and I am undecided about what to take. History or geography?

I'm British, but I'm interested in American history (I love the play, Hamilton, if you've seen it!😍), and I do also enjoy learning history. I am also minorly obsessed with the Victorian era. I have a skill in writing, and one day I aspire to be a part-time author, and every time I learn something new in history I immediately want to write a book about it. E.g.: in year 7, I wrote a few chapters of a book of slavery, and others too.

So does history help with English?

As for geography, I am vegan and I am interested in things such as global warming (although I have anxiety and it sometimes stresses me out) and other things. To be honest, we haven't done geography much in class so I don't know the type of studies we do, but does geography help with general knowledge too?

I'd love to hear some personal experiences! Should I take geography or history?

Ps sorry I took ages to get to the point ☺️

-ZestyNeko
frostfly
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ZestyNeko)
Hey!

I am picking my gcse subjects soon and I am undecided about what to take. History or geography?

I'm British, but I'm interested in American history (I love the play, Hamilton, if you've seen it!😍), and I do also enjoy learning history. I am also minorly obsessed with the Victorian era. I have a skill in writing, and one day I aspire to be a part-time author, and every time I learn something new in history I immediately want to write a book about it. E.g.: in year 7, I wrote a few chapters of a book of slavery, and others too.

So does history help with English?

As for geography, I am vegan and I am interested in things such as global warming (although I have anxiety and it sometimes stresses me out) and other things. To be honest, we haven't done geography much in class so I don't know the type of studies we do, but does geography help with general knowledge too?

I'd love to hear some personal experiences! Should I take geography or history?

Ps sorry I took ages to get to the point ☺️

-ZestyNeko
Hi Zesty,

I did GCSE Geography (AQA) and I absolutely hated it. There just wasn't a single element I enjoyed. Of course, that doesn't mean you're going to hate it too, but I'd recommend that you go with History. Lots of my friend took History and they all really liked it. One of them did both Geography and History and said she much preferred History. If you're wondering whether Geography helps with general knowledge, I'd say no. You're much better off watching the news instead.

Just speaking from my own experience
ZestyNeko
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks! My friend picked geography and her parents were also warning her it wasn't rubbish.

Thanks for your opinion 😊
bex.anne
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Geography definitely helps with general knowledge, and with the sciences slightly. I did it at AS aswell and I loved it. Its so interesting, and human geography is especially interesting. \For my options I chose history first then changed it to geography last minute, and I dont' regret it one bit! Learning about the population and stuff is so useful and it's not difficult honestly. I got an A* and 100% in the exams without a lot of work, mostly because i found it interesting so it was more like fun for me. The physical aspect of geography overlaps with the sciences alot aswell so its easier. There are some longer answer questions and it helps you learn how to answer things critically too so it definitely helps with english. So I would reccomend geography.
Bravehearts_45
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey there!
I did both GCSE History and Geography and I loved them both!
I think that History does help with English in particular due to the analytical skills and the extended writing and if you enjoy certain parts of history then go for it! But certainly there can be a few topics that can leave you a bit bored!
Geography I think links in better to the more 'science-y' topics as it covers global warming, natural environments, etc and I found that it linked quite well at some points to Biology. Quite a few case studies have to be learnt and varying topics need to be easily recalled but it can also help with English as quite a few essays need to be done.
Either way I think that they're both fantastic GCSE's (Im more of a fan of Geo, not gonna lie! xD) but go for whatever one you think will be the best! Good luck! ^^
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i did geography and history at GCSE and I preferred history by a long way. I absolutely despised Geography and the topics just weren't very interesting eg tourism and coasts
.ella.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did both Geography and History GCSE and really enjoyed both!
History had more long answer questions and controlled assessments (which may have changed for the new GCSE) that involved a lot more writing and tasks such as analysing a source i found a bit boring - (it is/isnt reliable because.... ) the questions felt slightly repetetive to me but the topics were good!
Geography is also very interesting especially Human, population changes and different aspects of societies across the world. The physical aspect was also interesting but a bit more science-y however i enjoyed learning about volcanoes etc. The questions are shorter so the exam involves less writing and in marked less on quality of written communication. There is also a wider range of questions and question types so the course felt less repetative.

However it sounds like you are more interested in History so i would go with that!
randomaccountt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

So, I'm currently in year 11 and I picked History and Geography as my GCSE options.

I started out year 10 loving history and not so much Geography. But as the course carried on I realised both are really good!
History, as you would expect is full of information and there are so many dates and facts to learn, but honestly it's fun learning about what happened in the world around us and what shaped it to how it is today.

Geography, I feel is also fun! Learning about how the world is changing and will change over time is fun and I'm glad now I took it.

What I would say is, go for the one you enjoy most now! But if you enjoy them both then try and pick the one you feel you will do best at, or maybe like I did pick both!

Sorry, I rambled on! Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (275)
34.03%
No (533)
65.97%

Watched Threads