The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow reputation?

How widely recognised is the University of Glasgow? I didn't think it was as good as other unis such as St. Andrews or Edinburgh, but went to the open day and loved it. Its the closest to home for me from my top two choices (Glasgow and St.As) with better transport links and has the most flexible degree structure.

I really loved St. Andrews too and have had my heart set on it for years but am now worried about how quiet it is, having grown up in an (admittedly small) city.

Can anyone offer any insight into how important a university's general reputation is? I want to become a clinical psychologist so will need to be able to find work experience to get onto a doctorate after my degree, which is extremely competitive. Basically, I'm wondering if Glasgow could hold me back at all. Also, can the size of the city make people feel isolated? I've heard warning about how big cities can feel more lonely. Thanks!
Reply 1
What are you looking to study?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
@kiera28 - my daughter and I just returned from attending post offer days at both Uni of Glasgow and Uni of Edinburgh. We went thinking Edinburgh was going to be her first choice, but after spending 4 days in each city and talking to every student we could find, she has decided Glasgow is her first choice. We thought Glasgow was a nice size- big enough to offer all the fun things large cities are known for, but not so big to be overwhelming. The subway is easy to navigate, but most things are walkable, especially on the West End near the Uni.

As for reputation, Edinburgh does have a better overall International name recognition, but for my D's course(CS), Glasgow ranks higher in the U.K. League tables- especially in student satisfaction. Glasgow's smaller program seems to be a better fit. I also think grad school chances are more based on what you do with you time and opportunity during undergrad. Just attending a top rated school is no guarantee. I think it means more to be a top student in your course, engage in activities related to your course of study, and get to know your lecturers.

My D also considered St A, but ultimately I think it was too small of a location for her. She loves music, and is looking forward to the music scene in Glasgow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
How widely recognised is the University of Glasgow? I didn't think it was as good as other unis such as St. Andrews or Edinburgh, but went to the open day and loved it. Its the closest to home for me from my top two choices (Glasgow and St.As) with better transport links and has the most flexible degree structure.

I really loved St. Andrews too and have had my heart set on it for years but am now worried about how quiet it is, having grown up in an (admittedly small) city.

Can anyone offer any insight into how important a university's general reputation is? I want to become a clinical psychologist so will need to be able to find work experience to get onto a doctorate after my degree, which is extremely competitive. Basically, I'm wondering if Glasgow could hold me back at all. Also, can the size of the city make people feel isolated? I've heard warning about how big cities can feel more lonely. Thanks!

Glasgow has a fantastic reputation internationally. What course are you studying? As ultimately, that'll determine rankings - it's worth noting though, that rankings tend to be based on Graduate School as opposed to undergraduate. It's a Russell Group university with strong links and an excellent rep though.

Original post by ScottishFold
@kiera28 - my daughter and I just returned from attending post offer days at both Uni of Glasgow and Uni of Edinburgh. We went thinking Edinburgh was going to be her first choice, but after spending 4 days in each city and talking to every student we could find, she has decided Glasgow is her first choice. We thought Glasgow was a nice size- big enough to offer all the fun things large cities are known for, but not so big to be overwhelming. The subway is easy to navigate, but most things are walkable, especially on the West End near the Uni.

As for reputation, Edinburgh does have a better overall International name recognition, but for my D's course(CS), Glasgow ranks higher in the U.K. League tables- especially in student satisfaction. Glasgow's smaller program seems to be a better fit. I also think grad school chances are more based on what you do with you time and opportunity during undergrad. Just attending a top rated school is no guarantee. I think it means more to be a top student in your course, engage in activities related to your course of study, and get to know your lecturers.

My D also considered St A, but ultimately I think it was too small of a location for her. She loves music, and is looking forward to the music scene in Glasgow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For CS, Glasgow ranks above most in the UK. Good choice!

Overall, Glasgow as a city (although I'm bias) has much more to offer than Edinburgh in terms of people, culture and entertainment! It's a fantastic city with brilliant people. The university is based in the best area of the city a stone's throw from the city centre.
Original post by pmc:producer
Glasgow has a fantastic reputation internationally. What course are you studying? As ultimately, that'll determine rankings - it's worth noting though, that rankings tend to be based on Graduate School as opposed to undergraduate. It's a Russell Group university with strong links and an excellent rep though.

For CS, Glasgow ranks above most in the UK. Good choice!

Overall, Glasgow as a city (although I'm bias) has much more to offer than Edinburgh in terms of people, culture and entertainment! It's a fantastic city with brilliant people. The university is based in the best area of the city a stone's throw from the city centre.

Hi, I've put Glasgow as my firm choice. :tongue: I'll be studying Psychology, so for my course UofG consistently ranks in the top 10 and often in the top 5. I take it you're a student there?? What are you reading at uni?
Original post by kiera28

Solid uni! And the city is easily one of the most fun cities in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
Hi, I've put Glasgow as my firm choice. :tongue: I'll be studying Psychology, so for my course UofG consistently ranks in the top 10 and often in the top 5. I take it you're a student there?? What are you reading at uni?

I'll also be studying psychology at Glasgow in September!! :h:
Reply 7
Original post by pmc:producer

Haha, you can't say Glasgow is better than Edinburgh because of those reasons while also saying the West End (which is like Edinburgh, full of posh English humanities students) is Glasgow's best area!
Original post by rowantfk
I'll also be studying psychology at Glasgow in September!! :h:

Oh wow!! Where are you from?
Original post by fnm
Haha, you can't say Glasgow is better than Edinburgh because of those reasons while also saying the West End (which is like Edinburgh, full of posh English humanities students) is Glasgow's best area!

Having spent considerable time in both, I can. And having grown up in Glasgow, I can.

Tell me where in Edinburgh is better than Glasgow for a night out? Edinburgh is utter crap for a night out, be it comedy, live bands, clubs or beer gardens. Albeit it has some good spots. Admittedly that's subjective.

As for your Glasgow comment, tell me Where's better than the west end? :lol:

Springburn, Possil, Castlemilk, Easterhouse, Baillieston, Shettleston, Gallowgate, Calton, Bridgeton, Rutherglen, Parkhead, Pollock, Cambuslang, Ibrox, Cardonald, Kingspark, where ever you want to name - it doesn't compete with the west end in terms of people, atmosphere, bars, restaurants and links/location for city centre should you wish. To suggest otherwise is complete nonsense. And it's not full of English humanities students at all - and even if it was, I'd rather be surrounded by humanities students than junkies. Behave yourself. In any case, if you'd spend any real time in Edinburgh you'd see it wasn't full of English humanities students, it's hard to find English or Scottish people full stop..
Keen to hear where you think is a better place in Glasgow though... :lol:
Original post by kiera28
Oh wow!! Where are you from?

The south side of Glasgow not moving out of home yet since it's on a convenient bus route right to the uni! You?
The south side of Glasgow not moving out of home yet since it's on a convenient bus route right to the uni! You?

Oh right that's lucky.. I'm from Worcester (small city between Birmingham and Oxford) so quite far away...
Original post by kiera28
Oh right that's lucky.. I'm from Worcester (small city between Birmingham and Oxford) so quite far away...

Are you moving into halls then? That'll be fine, that's a good way to meet people!! I'm pure fear about missing out on social life because I'm living at home and commuting every day, haha.
Are you moving into halls then? That'll be fine, that's a good way to meet people!! I'm pure fear about missing out on social life because I'm living at home and commuting every day, haha.

Yeah I am:smile: I'm sure you'll be able to make friends easily through societies and classes etc :tongue:
Original post by kiera28
Yeah I am:smile: I'm sure you'll be able to make friends easily through societies and classes etc :tongue:

Yeah, it'll be fine!! Maybe I'll see you there but :h:
Reply 16
So far it seems like Glasgow is a nice city but would anyone care to comment on the teaching, assessment and student culture?
I'm hoping to study English language and linguistics with Portuguguese. Can anyone from those courses comment on the teaching and how the course is? I like how flexible and how courses are offered, but I've heard horror stories of people at other unis going there because of the flexibility, to then be told they can't take the options they went there for.
How is BSc Finance and mathematics at Glasgow university?

Quick Reply