Alcohols, isomers etc.

Watch this thread
Sophie.cerys
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm really stuck on this question, any help would be really appreciated! I'm stuck on part iv - i think I've done all the other parts correctly. Thanks!

(b) Four unsaturated isomeric hydrocarbons have a relative a relative molecular mass of 56 and the following percentage composition by mass: C, 85.7%; H, 14.3%. These four isomeric hydrocarbons can be made to react with steam forming alcohols. One of the alcohols, T, does not react with acidified potassium dichromate(IV) K2Cr2O7.

(i) Calculate the molecular formula of the four isomers.​ ​ [3]

(ii) Deduce the structure of the four isomers.​ ​ [4]

(iii) Deduce all the alcohols that could be formed from the four isomers. ​ ​ [4]

(IV) Identify the alcohol T and deduce which of the isomers in (b)(ii) reacted with steam to produce it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sophie.cerys)
I'm really stuck on this question, any help would be really appreciated! I'm stuck on part iv - i think I've done all the other parts correctly. Thanks!

(b) Four unsaturated isomeric hydrocarbons have a relative a relative molecular mass of 56 and the following percentage composition by mass: C, 85.7%; H, 14.3%. These four isomeric hydrocarbons can be made to react with steam forming alcohols. One of the alcohols, T, does not react with acidified potassium dichromate(IV) K2Cr2O7.

(i) Calculate the molecular formula of the four isomers.​ ​ [3]

(ii) Deduce the structure of the four isomers.​ ​ [4]

(iii) Deduce all the alcohols that could be formed from the four isomers. ​ ​ [4]

(IV) Identify the alcohol T and deduce which of the isomers in (b)(ii) reacted with steam to produce it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What kind of alcohols dont react with acidified potassium dichromate?
Dark768
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
So you know the percentage composition and with this you can find the empirical formula. Then you can find out the molecular formula by matching it with the molecular mass. After you can draw out the different isomers because you'll know the number of C and H atoms in the molecule. One of the isomers will form a secondary or tertiary alcohol as it doesn't react with acidified dichromate to form an aldehyde.
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dark768)
So you know the percentage composition and with this you can find the empirical formula. Then you can find out the molecular formula by matching it with the molecular mass. After you can draw out the different isomers because you'll know the number of C and H atoms in the molecule. One of the isomers will form a secondary or tertiary alcohol as it doesn't react with acidified dichromate to form an aldehyde.
No,secondary alcohols oxidise to ketones, it must be a tertiary alcohol-she just needs to find a way to branch it that matches molecular formula
Dark768
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
No,secondary alcohols oxidise to ketones, it must be a tertiary alcohol-she just needs to find a way to branch it that matches molecular formula
Sorry, you're correct. I'm just too used to seeing acidified dichromate used to form carboxylic acids aha
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Sorry, you're correct. I'm just too used to seeing acidified dichromate used to form carboxylic acids aha
Thats what a2 organic does to you- you forget the AS reactions
Dark768
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thats what a2 organic does to you- you forget the AS reactions
aha too true, can't wait to get chem over and done with
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
aha too true, can't wait to get chem over and done with
Yes its a stress but i need it for my course-what did you apply for?
Dark768
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Yes its a stress but i need it for my course-what did you apply for?
I applied for medicine, yourself?
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I applied for medicine, yourself?
as did i, what unis?
Dark768
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
as did i, what unis?
I applied to Liverpool, Sheffield, Exeter and Plymouth and got an offer from plymouth and rejection from the rest. You?
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I applied to Liverpool, Sheffield, Exeter and Plymouth and got an offer from plymouth and rejection from the rest. You?
imperial, UCL, cambridge and st george`s- offer from UCL and rejected from rest- news flash medicine is competitive
Dark768
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
imperial, UCL, cambridge and st george`s- offer from UCL and rejected from rest- news flash medicine is competitive
Wayyyyy too competitive aha
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Wayyyyy too competitive aha
application process not good for your heart
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.13%
The paper was reasonable (136)
37.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.51%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.21%

Watched Threads