username2626967
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If I learn all the vocabulary will I get an A, as I really don't understand the more advanced grammatical techniques such as deponent verbs, ablative etc Yeh any advice would be helpful??
Babyangelana
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey there! I recently did the WJEC latin level 2 language in January (I took it early). I achieved an A* and i'll be completely honest with what I did. I learnt the 400 words of vocab ( I think its 400) by writing them down on flashcards. Tbh I didn't do much grammar, I literally just learnt how to spot I, he/she/it, you (singular), we, they, you (plural) by looking at the endings of the word (eg. if the word ends in m,o,i its usually I). And i only learnt the grammar for imperfect, perfect, pluperfect,past and present - i spent literally like 10 minutes doing the grammar. I think learning all the vocab you can definitely secure an A*.
username2626967
Rep:
?
Thank you so much, I really needed some advice coz I was worried about it coz I understand absolutely nothing about grammar excoect the basics 😂😭
(Original post by Babyangelana)
Hey there! I recently did the WJEC latin level 2 language in January (I took it early). I achieved an A* and i'll be completely honest with what I did. I learnt the 400 words of vocab ( I think its 400) by writing them down on flashcards. Tbh I didn't do much grammar, I literally just learnt how to spot I, he/she/it, you (singular), we, they, you (plural) by looking at the endings of the word (eg. if the word ends in m,o,i its usually I). And i only learnt the grammar for imperfect, perfect, pluperfect,past and present - i spent literally like 10 minutes doing the grammar. I think learning all the vocab you can definitely secure an A*.
Babyangelana
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mustards12345)
Thank you so much, I really needed some advice coz I was worried about it coz I understand absolutely nothing about grammar excoect the basics 😂😭
You will do amazing in your exam! Just make sure you learn those words. Also are you doing the latin literature exam?
username2626967
Rep:
?
You will do amazing in your exam! Just make sure you learn those words. Also are you doing the latin literature exam?
No I dropped the Latin literature coz I found it was a time waste, but now I think about it the extra gcse would have been nice! Did you do it?
Babyangelana
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No I dropped the Latin literature coz I found it was a time waste, but now I think about it the extra gcse would have been nice! Did you do it?
No I'm doing it in the summer (( not feeling confident with it
username2626967
Rep:
?
No I'm doing it in the summer (( not feeling confident with it
I think you'll be fine be fine with it, just need to nail those exam questions and time yourself. Oh yeh and learn the text thoroughly don't worry about it you'll do great!
Babyangelana
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you'll be fine be fine with it, just need to nail those exam questions and time yourself. Oh yeh and learn the text thoroughly don't worry about it you'll do great!
Aww your so lovely x you will do amazing too
username2626967
Rep:
?
Aww your so lovely x you will do amazing too
You deserve it sound like a top girl
Classics_Teacher
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Having had some experience of marking exam papers, I would say it'd be tricky to get an A just by learning the vocab alone. Obviously, the vocab is important because you can usually get a fair sense of what's happening in a story from the vocab than you could with the grammar, but those who get A*s tend to be those who can spot things like ablative absolutes, subjunctive constructions with ut etc.

Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like any more pointers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Course Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 2 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (78)
37.14%
I really love the subject (55)
26.19%
I don't know what else to do (26)
12.38%
I can't get a job (15)
7.14%
My parents want me to (5)
2.38%