NCS importance

Watch
This discussion is closed.
honeybee1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How good does ncs actually look on your ucas statement? I have already done bronze dofe, but I wanted to know how well respected ncs is. I have college induction days whilst I am at ncs, which do you think is more important-ncs or college induction days?? Thanks for your help.
kieranm9090
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some say yes, some say no.

The matter of fact is, anything that boosts your profile and any skills that you have, will boost your UCAS statement. NCS develops many skills at which universities will be aware of, some for example are; Team work, communication and leadership. These are key to life and there are many different skills NCS develop, but you will be unaware of but are there. Universities will look for anything to have you on the course, but will also take the opportunity to take someone else who shows they have more skills.
If you help out at college induction days, then put that there too, but NCS has a lot more skills, so on the UCAS I would delve into more of the NCS skills and qualities you have learnt and add induction days to another area of the UCAS. If you are going to the induction days, then NCS will be a big bonus and the summer NCS is what I recommend as it will not impede on your education and is just amazing.
NCS is respected, no matter what people think and what people think employers think of it. It is a valued part of applications to universities and employers, it shows commitment and shows you are willing to go out of your comfort zone, and experience something new.
I have had people say to me NCS is rubbish and that employers do not take it into account and blah blah blah, however I know for a fact they do, as a few people I know who employ into businesses say that is they have been on NCS, then they will think of them more.
The summery point is, the more you do, the better. If you do more, it shows you are willing to go out, experience something new and develop your skills. Companies and Universities will see you as an opportunity, for you to get deep into student/work life and this will massively boost you, they wouldn't want someone who may have the grades, but has not done anything or done very little other than their education.

So...Yes
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by honeybee1)
How good does ncs actually look on your ucas statement? I have already done bronze dofe, but I wanted to know how well respected ncs is. I have college induction days whilst I am at ncs, which do you think is more important-ncs or college induction days?? Thanks for your help.
Your ps should be primarily about your interests and activities around your subject.

ncs is only worth doing if you think it will be fun and interesting. It won't make any difference to your university application. It might help with job applications if you have limited work experience.
honeybee1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by kieranm9090)
Some say yes, some say no.

The matter of fact is, anything that boosts your profile and any skills that you have, will boost your UCAS statement. NCS develops many skills at which universities will be aware of, some for example are; Team work, communication and leadership. These are key to life and there are many different skills NCS develop, but you will be unaware of but are there. Universities will look for anything to have you on the course, but will also take the opportunity to take someone else who shows they have more skills.
If you help out at college induction days, then put that there too, but NCS has a lot more skills, so on the UCAS I would delve into more of the NCS skills and qualities you have learnt and add induction days to another area of the UCAS. If you are going to the induction days, then NCS will be a big bonus and the summer NCS is what I recommend as it will not impede on your education and is just amazing.
NCS is respected, no matter what people think and what people think employers think of it. It is a valued part of applications to universities and employers, it shows commitment and shows you are willing to go out of your comfort zone, and experience something new.
I have had people say to me NCS is rubbish and that employers do not take it into account and blah blah blah, however I know for a fact they do, as a few people I know who employ into businesses say that is they have been on NCS, then they will think of them more.
The summery point is, the more you do, the better. If you do more, it shows you are willing to go out, experience something new and develop your skills. Companies and Universities will see you as an opportunity, for you to get deep into student/work life and this will massively boost you, they wouldn't want someone who may have the grades, but has not done anything or done very little other than their education.

So...Yes
Thanks so much for the advice, I think I will stick to doing ncs as it looks enjoyable. I spoke to the head of the college and they said to do ncs as it looks good on your ucas statement.
I've heard people say that ncs isn't worth it although I guess I will find out for myself
Did you do ncs? If so, what are your opinions on it?
jasmine666
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I did NCS I don’t think it gave me that much of a boost on my application. But it was a lot of fun and I made some real friends there. I don’t regret doing it at all because I wouldn’t have done anything as fun over the summer and it still added that little bit extra to my ps. You will hopefully make some nice mates and have a laugh
NCS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by honeybee1)
Hi 👋

We understand your predicament and want to point out that NCS is 4 weeks long so missing one day to do something important is okay. In regards to whether the programme is respected, we can confirm that NCS is an official government trust recognised all over the UK. The skills you can pick up on NCS can further exemplify you as a well-rounded individual which colleges, uni's and employers love to see.

We would love to see you this summer, but if we don't we understand that as well 😃

Thanks,
Pat ✌️
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (162)
14.53%
I'm not sure (50)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.6%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (540)
48.43%

Watched Threads