Rafdaman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have offered a place in Royal Holloway University Of London, which is 6th in the UK for drama and theater studies according to QS Rankings.
I would like to know If I was to get accepted into ALRA Drama School, which one should I chose?

I understand that Drama school teaches you how to act but will I regret not going to university?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rafdaman)
I have offered a place in Royal Holloway University Of London, which is 6th in the UK for drama and theater studies according to QS Rankings.
I would like to know If I was to get accepted into ALRA Drama School, which one should I chose?

I understand that Drama school teaches you how to act but will I regret not going to university?
It depends on your ultimate goal. If you want to become a professional actor, then ALRA is almost certainly your best bet.
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rafdaman)

Hey Rafdaman,

Congratulations on your offer!

I recently graduated from Drama and Theatre Studies at Royal Holloway, and so I know how you're feeling. When I was picking a university, I had similar concerns of choosing between a university and a Drama School, but I knew I wanted to get a deeper understanding of theatre beyond just performing, so I decided upon the university experience. I did get to take performance based modules (like Physical Theatre, Puppetry, and Dance) but also had modules like "Philosophy of the Arts", where we looked at what defines art and why we connect to it. This really got me thinking about who I was as an artist and what I can contribute through my art, and just generally gave me a perspective I may have never found if I hadn't explored that side of drama.

The course is 50/50 practical and critical, so I had loads of chances to perform and put what I was learning into practice. The department also has its own society, The Student Workshop, which lets students put together performances with the support of the department in terms of things like rehearsal space, but also expertise of lecturers. Then there are all of the Students' Union societies which range from Shakespeare Society, to Musical Theatre Society, which allow you to constantly be performing, but also to explore other roles in the theatre like Stage Management. It's also a great way to meet students from different courses who enjoy acting but don't necessarily take Drama, and brings in other people's different view points.

I'd suggest sitting down and really deciding what you want to get out of your studies, and what experience you're looking for. I'm happy to help if you have any more questions, or want to hear more about Royal Holloway!

Best of luck!
Susana
Jennifer Grace
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Howdy!
I just got offered a place at ALRA, I decided against uni because I'm not particularly academic and I know sitting behind a desk for long periods might kill me. I know ALRA has a higher practical to theory ratio which I was very pleased with!
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jennifer Grace)
Howdy!
I just got offered a place at ALRA, I decided uni because I'm not particularly academic and I know sitting behind a desk for long periods might kill me. I know ALRA has a higher practical to theory ratio which I was very pleased with!
"I decided AGAINST uni..."?
Jennifer Grace
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
"I decided AGAINST uni..."?
oh yeah sorry!>_<
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jennifer Grace)
oh yeah sorry!>_<

ALRA looks to be about 90% practical, which should suit you perfectly. And congratulations on your offer!
MH2418
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
It depends on your ultimate goal. If you want to become a professional actor, then ALRA is almost certainly your best bet.
Hey,

What has you degree lead you to do in terms of jobs and employment ? And what are you currently doing :-)

Many thanks x
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MH2418)
Hey,

What has you degree lead you to do in terms of jobs and employment ? And what are you currently doing :-)

Many thanks x
You might be confusing me with the OP or one of the other people on this thread?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (111)
13.75%
I'm not sure (36)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (246)
30.48%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.48%
I'm not a current university student (394)
48.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed