The Student Room Group

Are Trans Women 'Real' Women?

Poll

Are Trans Women 'Real' Women?

I say they are.
What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

On one hand. Was pinocchio a real boy?

On another hand. What defines a woman? (please don't both with the "genetically female" crap bcus technically we all began as females)
Real Woman? No

Woman? Yes - ishhh?
Original post by Kieran1996

On another hand. What defines a woman? (please don't both with the "genetically female" crap bcus technically we all began as females)

i say there's much more to being a woman than whats down there
Yes
no
Absolutely not.
Original post by feministy
i say there's much more to being a woman than whats down there

well can't some have surgery to get "traditional" female genitalia?
Depends on your definition for woman.
well can't some have surgery to get "traditional" female genitalia?

Well yeah, but that doesn't change whats inside.
Well yeah, but that doesn't change whats inside.

I know, but physically, a woman can be "replicated".

As for inside, it depends on the person really, I don't think you can generalise personality by sex.
I know, but physically, a woman can be "replicated".

As for inside, it depends on the person really, I don't think you can generalise personality by sex.

That's not what she meant by inside. All your chromosomes must be XX to be a female.
Original post by Cosa Nostra
That's not what she meant by inside. All your chromosomes must be XX to be a female.

if someone identifies as a woman then imma respect that.
if someone identifies as a woman then imma respect that.

Cool, I'm not.
A trans woman would feel that she is a woman 'trapped' inside of a mans body. I think I would say she is a 'real' women.

If I woke up as a man tomorrow I would still be a woman. Even though the physical animal- that is my body- would be different.

I do not think that the physical body is the person. I think the person is the subjective entity (collective stream of consciousness) housed within the body.

But ofc it depends on the fundamental concept of identity and many people would say the physical animal is also inherently you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by queenofswords
A trans woman would feel that she is a woman 'trapped' inside of a mans body. I think I would say she is a 'real' women.

If I woke up as a man tomorrow I would still be a woman. Even though the physical animal- that is my body- would be different.

I do not think that the physical body is the person. I think the person is the subjective entity (collective stream of consciousness) housed within the body.

But ofc it depends on the fundamental concept of identity and many people would say the physical animal is also inherently you.

yep x
Reply 16
They might not be born a woman but the fact that they try to make them selfs real women is enough to make them one in my eyes. The same goes with women wanting to become men.
Reply 17

How did we begin as females? Wasn't the sex determined by the sex chromosomes at conception?
(edited 6 years ago)
Biologically they're a man, it's as simple as that from a literal standpoint. Whether they choose to act like a woman/man though is their decision and I respect that.
No.

Although I sympathise with their problem.

Personally, I identify myself as a table lamp.

Does that make me a table lamp?

No, but I do it anyway to brighten up my day.

Quick Reply