The Student Room Group

Tips for bar staff/bartender?

Recently got a job at a local pub/sports bar and my first proper shift is a Saturday night.

I learnt the basics on my trial of pouring beers, how much head, beers with tops, bottoms, shandy etc. JD&coke and slowly learning to use the till.

Can anyone explain common drinks to expect to be asked for? What to do if a beer barrel runs out (can't change them myself) and just general tips to survive the shift?? Thank you!!
Buy your own speed opener and keep it in your back pocket. The bar will have one but it will always be getting lost/being used by someone else!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wear comfortable shoes.
Use a spoon for opening cans (if you sell them).
Help out your colleagues with serving customers if it's quiet.

Also, good luck and enjoy it OP.
Also with the barrels you might find there's someone to do it for you, especially on a Saturday, but it's still worth learning so ask to be trained. When a barrel is empty put a pint glass over the handle so customers know there will be a wait. Unless they love it, most will just order something else. When it's changed you often have to pull a lot of foam through before it works properly again.

The other tip is to get speedy. If there is a cocktail list you need to learn it off by heart as you won't have time to keep looking things up. Do not finish one drink before starting the next if possible e.g if it's three different pints, pull them simultaneous by leaving them under the taps and putting the handles down (if one's a Guinness start that one first). Or if it's vodka coke, vodka orange, g & t, get all three glasses out, throw ice in all three and so on, it's much faster.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A speed opener? Silly question but what is this?
- You'll probably be trained to change barrels/gas in due time but as this is your first shift, you won't be expected to do it yet. In most pubs only the manager/assistant will be changing the barrels but independent bars may train you if you'll be getting a lot of shifts.
- Ask what the policy for tips is before you start, whether you can keep individual tips or have to put them all together to be split between everyone later
- Wear comfortable shoes that aren't too expensive/your favourites, they'll be covered in beer by the time you've finished
- Don't panic! Take your time and explain that this is your first shift if you have to
- As someone else said, pour Guinness/mild/ales first as they need time to form a head and need topping up
- Most common drinks will probably be lager, spirits and mixers and wine
- Collect glasses if the bar gets quiet, you have no idea how difficult it is to get them back in and washed if you're busy
- Remember to ask costumers if they'd like ice/lemon for soft drinks and spirits
- Luckily busy shifts tend to go the quickest
Original post by Jadeleigh1999
A speed opener? Silly question but what is this?

I'm assuming they mean a bottle opener?
Reply 7
Try and keep track yourself of order at the bar, always reassure customers "I'll be with you shortly, just serving this guy" It stops people getting frustrated if you miss them.

You'll probably not need a bottle opener, most bars have fixed ones, and generally wet sales are draught in the UK.

If you notice the barrel has gone, turn the tap off ASAP. If you get too much air in the line it'll take ages to sort, and you run the risk of pissing off everyone waiting, not just the person you're serving. If it doesn't look right, stop.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO POUR A GUINNESS SHANDY!!! Someone thinking they're clever spotting new staff will try it. IT DOESN'T WORK AND MAKES A MESS.

Most importantly, try and enjoy it. Keep calm, keep smiling, and you should be fine. It's a fairly simple job, it's hard to over complicate it.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1490887940.225024.jpg This is a speed opener (for bottles). Indispensable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
just try your best. with regards to changing barrels, most places only train experienced staff so dont worry too much. with time your learn to save time (ask about ice and if they want anything else when you take the order to save time etc. You will get some annoying customers but its part of the job, dont let them horrible ones get to you.. just explain you are new and have to learn somewhere. on one of my first shifts i had a customer demanded not to be served by me before id even spoken to him because i was new, turns out he is worried about newbies messing up his order. its nothing personal.

learn your products and ask for help if your not sure, chat to your co workers. in a stressful shift if you can have a laugh then it means you will be less stressed and hopefully smiling. If you get a beer shower, customers will find it hilarious. just laugh with them dont take yourself too seriously and customers will love you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending