?Hannah?
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey all,

My name is Hannah and I am aiming to achieve 10A*s in my upcoming GCSE exams. Today is the day that I begin my thorough revision to make sure that I am extremely prepared for the exams and am able to answer anything that may be thrown in my direction! I won't prolong this introduction, but I will say that I decided to begin revision in the Easter holidays because I tend to be rather obsessive and thorough when it comes to revising. I realised that if I had started my revision earlier, my technique would have made me burn out and lose motivation. However, I am prepared to now go all out and work exceptionally hard to achieve my desired grades as these results will stay with me forever.

My teachers do not believe that i am capable of achieving 10A*s, so it is now time to work really hard and prove them wrong. I need to prove that I am the best and can achieve great things.

You may be wondering why I want to attain such high grades at GCSE grades and put myself under so much pressure to do so. This is because I wish to attend Oxford university and outstanding GCSE results will really benefit my application.

I shall be updating this blog daily and am willing to answer any questions that people may have.

Here are the results that I have already achieved in my coursework:
Spoiler:
Show

English Language Solo Speaking: 38/40
English Language Group Speaking: 36/40
English Language Pair Speaking: 40/40

All English Language Speaking and Listening Assessments go towards 10% of my GCSE.

English Language Poetry Analysis: 38/40 (Goes towards 10% of GCSE).
English Language Creative Writing: 40/40 (Goes towards 10% of GCSE).

English Literature Compare and Contrast Poetry essay: 28/30 (Goes towards 40% of Eng Lit GCSE).

As you can probably tell, I have completed all of the poetry sections of my English Language and Literature GCSES as coursework. Therefore, I will be tested on prose, unseen prose, writing to a certain audience and non-fiction texts from the anthology for my summer GCSE exams.

These are the results that I gained in my October Year Eleven Mock Examinations: (Please bear in mind that I had one and a half weeks to revise and did not reach my full potential in the examinations as a result of this).

Spoiler:
Show

Maths - A
Spanish - A
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Biology - A*
Geography - A*
RE - B (Ran out of time for this exam as I was overcomplicating my answers).
English Language - A*
English Literature - C (I did no revision and gave up half way through the exam).
History - C (I did not do any revision for this subject).

5A*s, 2As, B and 2Cs.

NiamhM1801 brainzistheword nisha.sri surina16 lilacpotato SophFlorence

Thanks everyone for reading and I hope you will enjoy following my journey! Please feel free to get involved too!
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
UPDATE ONE:
Hello all, today I am aiming to revise 10 topics from 5 subjects. I will write below what I wish to revise and then at the end of the day I will let you know how I managed to get on!

• BIOLOGY: The nature and variety of living organisms.
• BIOLOGY: Levels of organisation, cell structure and biological molecules.
• RE SHORT-COURSE: Unit One word definitions.
• RE SHORT-COURSE: Unit Two word definitions.
• SPANISH: Unit One textbook and specification word definitions.
• SPANISH: Unit Two textbook and specification word definitions.
• CHEMISTRY: Ionic compounds.
• CHEMISTRY: Covalent substances.
• CHEMISTRY: Metallic crystals.
• GEOGRAPHY: Marine processes and sub-aerial processes.
Tombre
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
PRSOM.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

I'm curious about your English Specs, as coursework in English isn't very prominent anymore, except here in Wales (but even here it's been cut down a load (25% in Lit and 20% in Lang). What exam board are you with?
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
UPDATE TWO:
hello all, i managed to do the biology points on my list, the re and part of chemistry x it was challenging, but i hope i remember it and will continue working to complete everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tombre)
PRSOM.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

I'm curious about your English Specs, as coursework in English isn't very prominent anymore, except here in Wales (but even here it's been cut down a load (25% in Lit and 20% in Lang). What exam board are you with?
hello, nice to meet you!
i am doing edexcel igcse and there is a route which you can take to allow you to do that much coursework! i am so happy as it takes off loads of the stress and makes me feel more confident!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lebedev
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you doing GCSE 9-1 spec for English and Maths?
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
(Original post by lebedev)
Are you doing GCSE 9-1 spec for English and Maths?
nope, thank goodness!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lebedev
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Weird, I am and I'm doing my gcses at the Same time as you, but maths isdefinetley so much harder
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
(Original post by lebedev)
Weird, I am and I'm doing my gcses at the Same time as you, but maths isdefinetley so much harder
i think it might be because i do a different exam board, edexcel igcse. this exam board has only changed the gcses for the year below and onwards. i am very lucky that i haven't got to deal with the new grading system!

Posted from TSR Mobile
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
UPDATE THREE
I seem to be working at a much slower pace than I would have liked. However, I am getting through the content and am remembering the information. As I progress throughout the revision period, I hope to speed up a bit as I am not meeting all of my targets on my timetable. On average, I am completing 5 topics a day and I originally aimed to complete around 10. I am on the second day of my revision and seem to be behind already! I will keep going, working and revising though.
CraigBackner
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ?Hannah?)
nope, thank goodness!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol how come
Cherub012
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Very strong CW marks! Good luck.
?Hannah?
Rep:
?
UPDATE THREE
Hey everyone, I am so tired and feel quite ill. Therefore, I did not complete as much work as I would have liked today.
- Chemistry: Ionic compounds
- Chemistry: Metallic compounds
- Chemistry: Covalent substances
- Spanish: 150 vocab words (but only three quarters have been learnt)
- Spanish: Tenses revision (Regular Preterite and Present because I did not know them)
- Chemistry: Soooo many structure and bonding past exam questions! (I love to use past questions as a way to make sure that I have revised thoroughly)
- Chemistry: Marked my chemistry questions and I did really well! There were just a few little mistakes that I made and this means that I need to tweak my knowledge a little bit.
- Maths (June 2012 paper 3H) This was a very challenging paper and I do find maths hard in general because I am not a natural! However, for the first time ever, I managed to get all of the paper done (apart from the hard questions at the end) within one hour and 15 minutes! This meant that I had 45 minutes to complete the very hard questions at the end. I had to use the internet to familiarise myself with the equations needed for these questions to enable me to successfully complete them. However, there was this one question that I did not understand at all and I just wrote something down, but managed to still gain one mark out of six! 😂 I achieved 79% in this paper, which is 1% off the A* grade boundary for the year that the paper was taken. I did make a few silly mistakes on the easy indicie questions though and that resulted in me not gaining the A*! I am probably going to email my maths teacher now and ask her how I would go about answering the question that I did not understand.

I am absolutely exhausted now and will probably get ready for bed! 😅 I hope everyone had a productive day and do feel free to ask me any questions!
Vanilla Cupcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
subbed, interested to see your progress
what are a few of your favourite revision techniques? (might help me to start revision haha)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (363)
66.97%
No (179)
33.03%

Watched Threads