The Student Room Group

Anyone Considering unis lower down the league tables

I am new here and there seems to be a lot of people going to Oxbridge. I am interested in finding out if there is anyone going for other universities such as London Metropolitan University, Luton, Thames Valley University. Or does nobody consider these unless they go to clearing. I went to Leeds uni 2 just under 2 years ago and now do some partnership work with such universities.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Enterprise
I am new here and there seems to be a lot of people going to Oxbridge. I am interested in finding out if there is anyone going for other universities such as London Metropolitan University, Luton, Thames Valley University. Or does nobody consider these unless they go to clearing. I went to Leeds uni 2 just under 2 years ago and now do some partnership work with such universities.

Obviously, if you have the ability to get the grades the top universities want, and you're expecting and are expected to get them, why consider a less prestigious university. A question for you though; how much of a difference would it make if I had a 2:1 in Econimcs from Manchester Met and you had a 2:1 in Economics from Cambridge or Warwick and we were applying for the same job at the same age? I think a massive difference, because taking a degree at Manchester Met, unlike at Cambridge, suggests you lack intellegence/motivation(which both matter in employment!)...as you only need CCC, instead of AAA for the same course!

Another, this time non-rhetorical question: I got Cs in GCSE but if I manage to get BBB at college, would I have a real hard time being accepted for courses asking for BBB because of the lack of As and Bs at School??
Reply 2
No need to make another thread, could have just sent a PM to a mod to move the other one.
Reply 3
bcr8iv
Obviously, if you have the ability to get the grades the top universities want, and you're expecting and are expected to get them, why consider a less prestigious university. A question for you though; how much of a difference would it make if I had a 2:1 in Econimcs from Manchester Met and you had a 2:1 in Economics from Cambridge or Warwick and we were applying for the same job at the same age? I think a massive difference, because taking a degree at Manchester Met, unlike at Cambridge, suggests you lack intellegence/motivation(which both matter in employment!)...as you only need CCC, instead of AAA for the same course!

Another, this time non-rhetorical question: I got Cs in GCSE but if I manage to get BBB at college, would I have a real hard time being accepted for courses asking for BBB because of the lack of As and Bs at School??

Possibly I got C's in at GCSE too, I am now at Salford but my reasons where I could live at home still, I am certainly not lacking intellegence (I hope) or motivation and I am predicted to get a 1st or a 2:1. I don't regret going to a university ranked 69 at all. I have also come across a lot of people from my university with a lot of good jobs. If you go to Cambridge or MMU university is what you make of it.
Reply 4
amazingtrade
Possibly I got C's in at GCSE too, I am now at Salford but my reasons where I could live at home still, I am certainly not lacking intellegence (I hope) or motivation and I am predicted to get a 1st or a 2:1. I don't regret going to a university ranked 69 at all. I have also come across a lot of people from my university with a lot of good jobs. If you go to Cambridge or MMU university is what you make of it.

I'm considering Salford too, as well as Manchester Met (I too want to stay at/near home...long term girlfriend at Man met) although if I get better than expected AS grades tomorrow I may well put in a course from Manchester +/or Sheffield. What are you doing at Salford? Although I think it makes a difference what university you go to, I think the grade you get obviously makes a much bigger difference, so getting a 1st/2:1 would show critics like me that your not unintelligent/unmotivated!
Reply 5
bcr8iv

I agree it does make a massive difference. However there are some people who come out of good universities who are still lacking the skills that employers want. Such as people skills and taking initiative. Academic success does not gaurantee success in your career. Uni life is very different from being successful in a job or starting your own business. Some people also regain their motivation when they start university.
Reply 6
bcr8iv
I'm considering Salford too, as well as Manchester Met (I too want to stay at/near home...long term girlfriend at Man met) although if I get better than expected AS grades tomorrow I may well put in a course from Manchester +/or Sheffield. What are you doing at Salford? Although I think it makes a difference what university you go to, I think the grade you get obviously makes a much bigger difference, so getting a 1st/2:1 would show critics like me that your not unintelligent/unmotivated!

I am doing Multimedia and Internet Technology, the department is rated 5 star for research and has a lot of very good facilities. The machines we use for sound recording have £1000 worth of sound cards fitted in them for example. They are spending millions on new buildings (MMU seem to be doing as well) and improving facilities so it can only go back up in the league table.

The problem with Salford is it merged with Salford HE College in 1996 (Bolton type place) which had a lot of bad courses, to this day they have not all been filtered out and it has badly affected league table results. The other problem is people assume Salford is miles away. A survey done asking Manchester students how far Salford University was said stupid things like 5 or 12 miles. Its actually 1.5 miles way from the city centre.
bcr8iv

It makes no difference...take your head out of your own arse! You still have to work for your degree whether you got AAA or CCC at A Level, if you don't work for your degree attend seminers, lectures, etc you will get chucked out of university anyway.
I am going to City and they want BBB for Psychology and Journalism! Where as at some universities they want CCC for courses like Biology...but I am not going on with myself. Some people have extremely poor education, like myself, I left school with no GCSEs, told by teachers I would get nowhere...and now I am expecting to get A Levels at A and B grade.
Seriously...you need to grow up, you are not superior...we are all humans and we all deserve a job when we get a degree whether we got A Levels higher or lower than another candidate.
Reply 8
I got 3 A's yet I am going to Kent in September....some may think I am silly as I got accepted for several uni's in the top 10/20. Kent University is highly regarded for Computer Science though, and is located in a fantastic city (Canterbury), so I know I've made the right choice.
Funny how MMU has been mentioned alot in this thread, :frown:

Anyway comparing MMU and Manchester, both have a teaching QA, of 22/24, so thats good :smile:

The only major difference is that Manchester's researching is 5/5, whereas MMU's is 3a/5. Whcih I dont mind in a way, as I dont want to do a PHD.

However MMU's employment status is higher than Manchesters, theres a more perecntage of MMU's students getting jobs than Manchester. Which shocked me.

Btw, these comparisons only account to a Psychology course in both uni's.
So In a way, Im happy now :smile: , and as I want to be a clinical psychologist, after my degree I will apply to do a postgraduate course in Manchester, hopefully they will let me in. :smile:
BlondeFunkyChic
It makes no difference...take your head out of your own arse! You still have to work for your degree whether you got AAA or CCC at A Level, if you don't work for your degree attend seminers, lectures, etc you will get chucked out of university anyway.
I am going to City and they want BBB for Psychology and Journalism! Where as at some universities they want CCC for courses like Biology...but I am not going on with myself. Some people have extremely poor education, like myself, I left school with no GCSEs, told by teachers I would get nowhere...and now I am expecting to get A Levels at A and B grade.
Seriously...you need to grow up, you are not superior...we are all humans and we all deserve a job when we get a degree whether we got A Levels higher or lower than another candidate.

Exactly :cool:
Reply 11
BlondeFunkyChic

I never said I was superior, but now you mention it...Seriously though, my head isn't up my ass; I got and am going to get crap results compared with the majority of people on UK-L. I too had a poor education, get over it. In a ideal word, your last sentence would come true, unfortunately we're in a world where competition is great.
BlueAngel
Exactly :cool:

Well thank you...glad someone agrees! As I have only been on this board for a couple of weeks and I have seen nothing but obsessions with high-tier universities...and it's just hillarious because you aren't superior nor better off than someone who got a degree at Thames University. I think some of you will probably be in for a shock when you get in the real world and you will find that others who went to these so-called lower universities end up with the job rather than yourself when they get their degree (probably because their head isn't up their own arse and walk around with an attitude problem!!!)
Reply 13
BlueAngel
Funny how MMU has been mentioned alot in this thread, :frown:

Anyway comparing MMU and Manchester, both have a teaching QA, of 22/24, so thats good :smile:

The only major difference is that Manchester's researching is 5/5, whereas MMU's is 3a/5. Whcih I dont mind in a way, as I dont want to do a PHD.

However MMU's employment status is higher than Manchesters, theres a more perecntage of MMU's students getting jobs than Manchester. Which shocked me.

Btw, these comparisons only account to a Psychology course in both uni's.
So In a way, Im happy now :smile: , and as I want to be a clinical psychologist, after my degree I will apply to do a postgraduate course in Manchester, hopefully they will let me in. :smile:

You have the careful with the job statistics though, PQ said the Sunday Times willl reveal what the average starting salary is for each university. Ths will be more accurate as the people in Manchester University probably get better jobs due to its great careers department etc.

If you goto MMU though and work hard you should do well, and I know a lot of Manchester graduates who don't have proper jobs yet.
bcr8iv
I never said I was superior, but now you mention it...Seriously though, my head isn't up my ass; I got and am going to get crap results compared with the majority of people on UK-L. I too had a poor education, get over it. In a ideal word, your last sentence would come true, unfortunately we're in a world where competition is great.

Actually if someone when in with a degree from Cambridge University and came accross with an attitude problem of snobbery, and then someone came in with a degree from Greenwich University and they were really friendly and outgoing...I think the Greenwich graduate is more likely to get the job.
Reply 15
BlondeFunkyChic
Well thank you...glad someone agrees! As I have only been on this board for a couple of weeks and I have seen nothing but obsessions with high-tier universities...and it's just hillarious because you aren't superior nor better off than someone who got a degree at Thames University. I think some of you will probably be in for a shock when you get in the real world and you will find that others who went to these so-called lower universities end up with the job rather than yourself when they get their degree (probably because their head isn't up their own arse and walk around with an attitude problem!!!)

It is true to an extent however in the law of averages the better the university the more likely you are to get a decent job. However league tables don't really indicate the universities sucess or not, employers do.

I know if I was a boss I would not want some stuck up LSE student working for me, I would much rather head for MMU. However if the LSE student wasn't stuck up the MMU student may be in trouble.

It annoys me when university students have this attitude of I am at university I am special. Well what about all the plumbers and brickys? They have had to work damn hard too to train and become qualified its just at a different end of the spectrum.

I am proud of being at University but only because its what I want to do and I have achieved it.
bcr8iv

And as for the 'competition' if Cambridge is so great, how come City graduates have the highest % in the country of getting employment! Anyway, if I get into City I am just as good as a Cambridge student and even a Greenwich student...I don't let league tables rule my life, we are not at school where league tables are more meaningful because at university it's about the individual student who puts the time and effort into get a 1st!
amazingtrade
You have the careful with the job statistics though, PQ said the Sunday Times willl reveal what the average starting salary is for each university. Ths will be more accurate as the people in Manchester University probably get better jobs due to its great careers department etc.

If you goto MMU though and work hard you should do well, and I know a lot of Manchester graduates who don't have proper jobs yet.

But its so unfair, I mean I might just get the grades what Man Uni wnated, but end up in MMU, as I had been rejected by Man Uni.
I dont think they should look at the uni you go to, but what Alevels you got.
I mean I might just end up with AAAA, but still go to MMU, cos I have no other choice this year.
amazingtrade
It is true to an extent however in the law of averages the better the university the more likely you are to get a decent job. However league tables don't really indicate the universities sucess or not, employers do.

I know if I was a boss I would not want some stuck up LSE student working for me, I would much rather head for MMU. However if the LSE student wasn't stuck up the MMU student may be in trouble.

It annoys me when university students have this attitude of I am at university I am special. Well what about all the plumbers and brickys? They have had to work damn hard too to train and become qualified its just at a different end of the spectrum.

I am proud of being at University but only because its what I want to do and I have achieved it.

The thing is though, there is a WHOLE world out there! Jobs don't just come avaliable in England...so it's possible every graduate will get a good job. I know for sure if I get into university and I get my degree, I am working abroad, no way I am staying in this country with their house prices going sky rocket, lol.
Reply 19
BlondeFunkyChic
Actually if someone when in with a degree from Cambridge University and came accross with an attitude problem of snobbery, and then someone came in with a degree from Greenwich University and they were really friendly and outgoing...I think the Greenwich graduate is more likely to get the job.

Quite possibly, I'm not saying if you go greenwich, you'll always be chosen over someone from cambridge, but you'd have to be suffering from libidinous narcissistic fantasies to think your greenwich degree will not look slightly inferior to someones cambridge degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending