Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone Considering unis lower down the league tables watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlondeFunkyChic)
    Yes it does, doesn't it! Better than having a heart attack in a few years time because of so much stress your body must be taking through to get into a 'top university' and so on.
    Stress? I pissed around in 6th form got BBC and went to St Andrews, easy.

I'd rather be a Sociology teacher than be a dead snob
    I'd rather be dead rich.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ChemistBoy]Stress? I pissed around in 6th form got BBC and went to St Andrews, easy.

And what A Levels were these? And whatever you say...sounds like crap to me.

I'd rather be dead rich

LMAO! 'dead' rich, eh? *coughs*scally*coughs*...erm...a nyway, job satisfaction would come first with me. What about that actress who played Laura in Hollyoaks, she left and became a nurse, obviously a lower wage but an rewarding job. I would rather be in a low paid job that is rewarding, than be working for some big law firm making big bucks out of other peoples misery. I have morals, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I read that McDonalds is one of the biggest graduate employers in the UK. However I a not surew how many of these people work behind the counter cooking food.

When I graduate I am hoping to completly avoid graduate traineeships and the like. I will apply for general computing jobs, most of these still require a degree but thats just a filtering process, many don't care if you have a 1st from Oxbridge or a 3rd from Liverpool John Moores. They just want to know you can do the job now.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=BlondeFunkyChic]
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Stress? I pissed around in 6th form got BBC and went to St Andrews, easy.

I'd rather be dead rich

LMAO! 'dead' rich, eh? *coughs*scally*coughs*...erm...a nyway, job satisfaction would come first with me. What about that actress who played Laura in Hollyoaks, she left and became a nurse, obviously a lower wage but an rewarding job. I would rather be in a low paid job that is rewarding, than be working for some big law firm making big bucks out of other peoples misery. I have morals, thank you!
    I'll wave to you from my Lexus.

ReputationRep:
    I'll wave to you from my Lexus.
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, lol, it's just another car damaging the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I read that McDonalds is one of the biggest graduate employers in the UK. However I a not surew how many of these people work behind the counter cooking food.

When I graduate I am hoping to completly avoid graduate traineeships and the like. I will apply for general computing jobs, most of these still require a degree but thats just a filtering process, many don't care if you have a 1st from Oxbridge or a 3rd from Liverpool John Moores. They just want to know you can do the job now.

I would rather commit suicide than work for McDonalds, lol.

ReputationRep:

Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Does the second part imply that whatever I say sounds like crap? How much experience of University admissions have you got?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, lol, it's just another car damaging the world.
    Not with a hydrogen fuel cell in it it won't.

ReputationRep:
    All these people who go on about how rich they are going to be after going to LSE etc need to grow up. It is actually quite laughable how obsessed you are with money. Frankly I would rather be happy than working in some fat cat industry working out new ways to rip people off.

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Does the second part imply that whatever I say sounds like crap? How much experience of University admissions have you got?

LMAO! Oh shut up...or grow up!!! As for 'admissions', I think my college teachers have more experience about education and the world than you do, thank you...oh and so do my parents!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    All these people who go on about how rich they are going to be after going to LSE etc need to grow up. It is actually quite laughable how obsessed you are with money. Frankly I would rather be happy than working in some fat cat industry working out new ways to rip people off.
    I find it quite amusing...it will be a world's first if money and being rich is going to make a person happy, I would rather have job satisfaction paying a low wage rather than be in a dead end job with a high wage.

ReputationRep:
    Not with a hydrogen fuel cell in it it won't.
    You will have to find me first, because one thing is for certain I am not planning on staying in this country, that's for sure!

ReputationRep:
    LMAO! Oh shut up...or grow up!!! As for 'admissions', I think my college teachers have more experience about education and the world than you do, thank you...oh and so do my parents!
    Didn't answer my question though did it?

Actually talking about it from the other side of the fence. I've had quite long discussions with my Supervisor (the head of department) about selection procedures and the general future of higher education, and I am very interested in what goes on in this area (as I want to be an academic myself). I've also been through the process, got my degree and put it to the test in the job market.

And as for the being happy thing I totally agree that it's the most important thing. Standard of living contributes greatly to happiness and increasing your standard of living costs money. I know a great many teachers and other people who have gone into low paid but supposedly morally fulfilling jobs, after a few years they have become, without exception, disillusioned with the work which is hard and very poorly paid. Most people feel deeply undervalued and moral is very low.

You may laugh at what you perceive as materialism now, but I assure you that in 10 years time you won't have the same view.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does, doesn't it! Better than having a heart attack in a few years time because of so much stress your body must be taking through to get into a 'top university' and so on.

I'd rather be a Sociology teacher than be a dead snob
    Oh dear.

Those 'dead snob's' will be your employers some day, i would watch your attitude if i were you.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather be in a low paid job that is rewarding, than be working for some big law firm making big bucks out of other peoples misery. I have morals, thank you!
    Each to their own but i'd rather have a house, a social life, holidays etc than be a social worker, no matter how noble their work is. I suspect the majority of the population would agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    Oh dear.

Those 'dead snob's' will be your employers some day, i would watch your attitude if i were you.
    Oh you fool...you are so pathetic.

I have no attitude, it's your attitude!

As for 'dead snobs' being my employers...since when did a teacher become a proletariat and work for the cultural capital!?!??!

ReputationRep:
    Didn't answer my question though did it?

Actually talking about it from the other side of the fence. I've had quite long discussions with my Supervisor (the head of department) about selection procedures and the general future of higher education, and I am very interested in what goes on in this area (as I want to be an academic myself). I've also been through the process, got my degree and put it to the test in the job market.

And as for the being happy thing I totally agree that it's the most important thing. Standard of living contributes greatly to happiness and increasing your standard of living costs money. I know a great many teachers and other people who have gone into low paid but supposedly morally fulfilling jobs, after a few years they have become, without exception, disillusioned with the work which is hard and very poorly paid. Most people feel deeply undervalued and moral is very low.

You may laugh at what you perceive as materialism now, but I assure you that in 10 years time you won't have the same view.
    I will be living abroad, not here...it will be much cheaper in the cost of living!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    Each to their own but i'd rather have a house, a social life, holidays etc than be a social worker, no matter how noble their work is. I suspect the majority of the population would agree.
    I will also be having all that as a teacher...why wouldn't I??? :confused:
    Makes no sense, since I will be living and abroad and cost of living will be cheaper...and whats with the 'social worker'? I don't want to be a social worker??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    Oh dear.

I wouldn't count your chickens before you hatch if I was you! You might end up nowhere yet.
    And if I want to become a teacher, I will, it's none of your business is it really!? There are plenty of teachers worldwide who are still living with private housing, holidays and a fantastic social life...please...don't be so ignorant, especially when you are meant to be educated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    True, true and true.

Employer: So, where did you graduate from?
    You: Manchester
    Employer: Fantastic, 'Manchester University'?
    You: Erm...no, 'Manchester Metropolitan'
    Employer: Riggghhtt, how interesting, we'll give you a ring to let you know if you've got the job, OK?
    Is very dissapointed by Bhaal's attitude.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.