The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My mum used to live there, so I went pretty much once a month to visit her. It's a really beautiful city, especially in summer. There's this cathedral in the town centre, and I'm not religious in any way, but it is amazing. Lots of little Backerei/Konditorei shops in typically european fashion.
Hmm....what else? They serve the veggie burger at McDonalds *contemplates why he just put down that uselss piece of information*

They all try very hard to speak to you in English, when really you are trying to practice your German (but the Austrians are a friendly bunch...much more relaxed than any Germans I've met). Oh, and they don't mind if you say 'Austria' instead of 'Osterreich' (They do this themselves). :biggrin:
Reply 2
I am sooo Jealous!!! Bring me back something! :biggrin:
Reply 3
firebladez777.5
My mum used to live there, so I went pretty much once a month to visit her. It's a really beautiful city, especially in summer. There's this cathedral in the town centre, and I'm not religious in any way, but it is amazing. Lots of little Backerei/Konditorei shops in typically european fashion.
Hmm....what else? They serve the veggie burger at McDonalds *contemplates why he just put down that uselss piece of information*

They all try very hard to speak to you in English, when really you are trying to practice your German (but the Austrians are a friendly bunch...much more relaxed than any Germans I've met). Oh, and they don't mind if you say 'Austria' instead of 'Osterreich' (They do this themselves). :biggrin:

the veggie burger information is a very useful piece of info actually!! my mum's vegetarian, and loves those burgers!

ooh i can't wait, it sounds amazing!
Oh, just remembered! There's a huge tower on one side of the Danube, which they call the 'DonauTour' in the donauzentrum. There's a revolving restaurant on the top of it. Go there, the view is superb. And if the weather's good, go to the 'Donau insel'...a little island in the Danube. There's lots to do there, including caoeing and going on those really cool trampolines where you can jump and flip etc.
Reply 5
If it was 1995 you'd be going to vienna95! :tongue: :rolleyes:
Reply 6
firebladez777.5
Oh, just remembered! There's a huge tower on one side of the Danube, which they call the 'DonauTour' in the donauzentrum. There's a revolving restaurant on the top of it. Go there, the view is superb. And if the weather's good, go to the 'Donau insel'...a little island in the Danube. There's lots to do there, including caoeing and going on those really cool trampolines where you can jump and flip etc.

trampolines?!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: i found them in romania in a fairground park area absolutely loved it!! woo more trampolining!!
Reply 7
priya
trampolines?!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: i found them in romania in a fairground park area absolutely loved it!! woo more trampolining!!

I'm sure there's a special Fairground with a Big Wheel - can't remember the name - sure it sounds like Prader? You could also visit the Lipizaner Horses - they are superb.
Edit: It's called the Prater - that sounds more like it.
Reply 8
I've been to Vienna - it's really nice. I saw the horses too and they're really good. yeah i was trying to practise my german but they all spoke to us in english. im going to romania on saturday - where did u go priya? im going to bucharest, is there anything worth seeing there?

:smile:
Reply 9
Does she know you're coming?
Reply 10
if you're asking me that, what??
Mad Caddie
Does she know you're coming?

I don't mean to correct you but don't you mean "he"?

MB
Reply 12
CF123
I've been to Vienna - it's really nice. I saw the horses too and they're really good. yeah i was trying to practise my german but they all spoke to us in english. im going to romania on saturday - where did u go priya? im going to bucharest, is there anything worth seeing there?

:smile:

bucharest is lovely- didn't see much of it but it's a nice city. go see caucascu's (sp?) palace thing- VERY impressive. there's a lovely fairground place, by the lake, really nice place to go chill, has restaurants and stuff.

word of warning about taxis- get in one's that are owned by a company- check to see if they are independant or not- the independant ones charge a ridiculous amount of money- whereas the firm owned ones (usually yellow) only charge u like a quid to go about half an hour
It's my favourite city. Go to the Habsburg palace, it's a laugh with the tour guides who can't speak English too well. Our one was telling us there was a foot that followed you across the room.... when infact it was a picture with a foot painted so that it appeared as if it was always pointing at you. Took us quite some time to figure, so yes, that's worth it for the History side alone. Don't go with the American's though....! They are very noisy and tall, you won't be able to see anything :P

Otherwise, check out little cafe's and cake shops - had the most wonderful brioche (sp?) there, light as a feather, it was amazing. We spent the entire time eating. Food there is really great, big portions too but not oversized. And beeeeeer.... beer. =P

It's seriously absolutely beautiful, as someone said the Austrian's are very friendly. The night tours are gorgeous too, the city is really just.. beautiful. :smile:
Reply 14
priya
:biggrin: :biggrin: anyone been already? whats it like? anything that you recommend i should so/see while i'm there? going from saturday to thursday, with family

I went there at the end of July. In my opinion, the things worth going to are: the prater (mentioned before, big theme park type place), Stephansdom (make sure you climb up), Shoenbrunn (big palace-type thing) and Hundertwasser Haus (colourful, strange building that people actually live in). Vienna is pretty good for shopping as well, and it's easy to get around, public transport is really good and cheap. That is pretty much the only cheap thing you'll find though - Vienna must be one of the most expensive places I've been too! If you want to get around all the main sights, one way to make sure you do is a bike tour - I did a really good one from just outside the Prater, with a company called Pedal Power. Definitely recommend it!
Reply 15
musicboy
I don't mean to correct you but don't you mean "he"?

MB

Good point.
Reply 16
omg im here and its amazing!! :biggrin:
Reply 17
At least you're having a good time over there :smile:
Reply 18
priya
omg im here and its amazing!! :biggrin:

im jealous!! have you got anything good planned priya?
Reply 19
be patient with me this keyboard is odd, the y and the z have swapped places and all the symbols are everywhere. goin to the mozart/strauss concert tonght, in the musikverein, where they do the new years concerts every year! its wet out here :frown: but warm. gonna be goi on a danube boat trip at some point during the week as well :biggrin: can't wait!

gutted though cos all the shops are shut early on saturday, we wanted to get some brekkie stuff and sneak it up to our rooms lol (breakfast here costs an extra 11 euros!!) will just have to go to mcdonalds for brekkie in the morning i think.....ah lifes so tough :rolleyes:

anyway im on the hotel internet thingy. it is free but i need to go get some sleep! so tired!!

Latest