The Student Room Group

Access course for optometry

Any help please!
I am wanting to go to university to do optometry however I am 21 and don't have any a levels that meet the requirements
I am open to do anything. I'm wondering if anyone knows what access course I am best doing??
Thanks
In optometry, particularly at City Uni in London, they take several mature students, and ones with non-standard qualifiations.

I know of students who had an open university degree being admitted, as well as one with a geography degree. Also, several DOs (dispensing opticians) gain amission every year.

So some of your options are:

1. Do an open university degree - a subject that would help you in the optometry course would be better - the subjects in the 1st yr of optometry usually include general anatomy and physiology, dispensing, physical optics (branch of physis), visual optics (optics in relation to the eye), etc. o choose your subject wisely.

2. Join the dispensing opics course which is easier to get into than optometry, as a steping stone e.g. at Dame Alice Owen Building on Goswell Road in London EC1 (used to be in Binhill Row near Liverpool St yeats ago) or at Anglia College (I believe they have management module included).

Good luck!

M
@Ashlash

Did you find my answer helpful?
Hi Ashlash. Bit of a late reply but I am also a mature student at 26 and doing a science based access course consisting of Human Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. also doing English & Maths GCSE's alongside it. Most of the uni's accept access to he alongside 2 GCSE's. If you go onto the UCAS website, type in optometry and under the "entry requirements" heading it tells you what Access to he credits you need and GCSE grades. hope that helps. Im looking at Plymouth university :smile:
Original post by Ashlash
Any help please!
I am wanting to go to university to do optometry however I am 21 and don't have any a levels that meet the requirements
I am open to do anything. I'm wondering if anyone knows what access course I am best doing??
Thanks

Have you managed to find an alternative route to Optometry?
Original post by dominiquescant
Hi Ashlash. Bit of a late reply but I am also a mature student at 26 and doing a science based access course consisting of Human Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. also doing English & Maths GCSE's alongside it. Most of the uni's accept access to he alongside 2 GCSE's. If you go onto the UCAS website, type in optometry and under the "entry requirements" heading it tells you what Access to he credits you need and GCSE grades. hope that helps. Im looking at Plymouth university :smile:

Are you hoping to do Optometry after your access course?
Reply 6
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
In optometry, particularly at City Uni in London, they take several mature students, and ones with non-standard qualifiations.

I know of students who had an open university degree being admitted, as well as one with a geography degree. Also, several DOs (dispensing opticians) gain amission every year.

So some of your options are:

1. Do an open university degree - a subject that would help you in the optometry course would be better - the subjects in the 1st yr of optometry usually include general anatomy and physiology, dispensing, physical optics (branch of physis), visual optics (optics in relation to the eye), etc. o choose your subject wisely.

2. Join the dispensing opics course which is easier to get into than optometry, as a steping stone e.g. at Dame Alice Owen Building on Goswell Road in London EC1 (used to be in Binhill Row near Liverpool St yeats ago) or at Anglia College (I believe they have management module included).

Good luck!

M

Is City Uni of London not accepting access courses anymore?
Hey, did any of you do optometry then?
Please do let me know.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest