Ashlash
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Any help please!
I am wanting to go to university to do optometry however I am 21 and don't have any a levels that meet the requirements
I am open to do anything. I'm wondering if anyone knows what access course I am best doing??
Thanks
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In optometry, particularly at City Uni in London, they take several mature students, and ones with non-standard qualifiations.

I know of students who had an open university degree being admitted, as well as one with a geography degree. Also, several DOs (dispensing opticians) gain amission every year.

So some of your options are:

1. Do an open university degree - a subject that would help you in the optometry course would be better - the subjects in the 1st yr of optometry usually include general anatomy and physiology, dispensing, physical optics (branch of physis), visual optics (optics in relation to the eye), etc. o choose your subject wisely.

2. Join the dispensing opics course which is easier to get into than optometry, as a steping stone e.g. at Dame Alice Owen Building on Goswell Road in London EC1 (used to be in Binhill Row near Liverpool St yeats ago) or at Anglia College (I believe they have management module included).

Good luck!

M
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ashlash

Did you find my answer helpful?
dominiquescant
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Ashlash. Bit of a late reply but I am also a mature student at 26 and doing a science based access course consisting of Human Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. also doing English & Maths GCSE's alongside it. Most of the uni's accept access to he alongside 2 GCSE's. If you go onto the UCAS website, type in optometry and under the "entry requirements" heading it tells you what Access to he credits you need and GCSE grades. hope that helps. Im looking at Plymouth university
Philip-flop
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ashlash)
Any help please!
I am wanting to go to university to do optometry however I am 21 and don't have any a levels that meet the requirements
I am open to do anything. I'm wondering if anyone knows what access course I am best doing??
Thanks
Have you managed to find an alternative route to Optometry?
Philip-flop
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dominiquescant)
Hi Ashlash. Bit of a late reply but I am also a mature student at 26 and doing a science based access course consisting of Human Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. also doing English & Maths GCSE's alongside it. Most of the uni's accept access to he alongside 2 GCSE's. If you go onto the UCAS website, type in optometry and under the "entry requirements" heading it tells you what Access to he credits you need and GCSE grades. hope that helps. Im looking at Plymouth university
Are you hoping to do Optometry after your access course?
elamela
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
In optometry, particularly at City Uni in London, they take several mature students, and ones with non-standard qualifiations.

I know of students who had an open university degree being admitted, as well as one with a geography degree. Also, several DOs (dispensing opticians) gain amission every year.

So some of your options are:

1. Do an open university degree - a subject that would help you in the optometry course would be better - the subjects in the 1st yr of optometry usually include general anatomy and physiology, dispensing, physical optics (branch of physis), visual optics (optics in relation to the eye), etc. o choose your subject wisely.

2. Join the dispensing opics course which is easier to get into than optometry, as a steping stone e.g. at Dame Alice Owen Building on Goswell Road in London EC1 (used to be in Binhill Row near Liverpool St yeats ago) or at Anglia College (I believe they have management module included).

Good luck!

M
Is City Uni of London not accepting access courses anymore?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads