Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "The Cuban missile crisis was a victory for the USA" How far do you agree with this statement? Explain your answer.(10 marks)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ANONYMAS21)
    "The Cuban missile crisis was a victory for the USA" How far do you agree with this statement? Explain your answer.(10 marks)
    Happy to critique your answer if you post one...

Here are some prompts to get you started:

Briefly, what happened in the Cuban missile crisis? What were the key events and takeaways for the USA and USSR?

What was the aftermath for each side and hence do you think the USA came off better or worse? Did it help relations and show that MAD was still a thing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little late, but I will try to answer since I'm revising Russia at the moment.

The Cuban Missile Crisis was most assuredly a victory for the USA. In what was the apex of the Cold War, the USA had prevailed over the communist state that was the USSR. Khrushchev's 'one-man' style of leadership saw an unprepared and unintended threat of war against the USA, as he hoped to place nuclear weaponry within the new revolutionary state of communicst Cuba. The USSR in this respect, was therefore seen as the aggressor - threatening the USA. It can be aruged that the USA's victory had sprouted from its quick reaction by placing a naval barrier along the Cuban coastline, stopping any military intervention from the USSR. As a result, the USA had successfully stopped a threat from communist Russia. It can therefore be agreed that the statement is entirely valid, as it was a symbolic message to the world that capitalism was the prevailing force against communism. This threat posed by the USSR had begun to deteriorate soon after, as the two nations agreed to follow a policy of disarmament, both in Turkey and Cuba.

Probably not 10 marks, and doubt you'll read it but I hope it helps to any that are studying it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 4, 2017

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.