The Student Room Group

RAF medical failed?!

Hi, I left the airforce April last year as I injured my knee and didn't feel fit enough to continue training at the time as I was rushed through rehab! I came out and in civvi street had X-rays and MRIs completed which says there's nothing wrong with my knee and that I am completely fit. I reapplied for the airforce in November, had my medical at the end of February and was declared TMU because they wanted to see my scan results which is fair enough. It was all processed pretty quickly however today I got a call from my AFCO saying that unfortunately it's been reviewed and I'm unfit for service. Unfortunately as of now I don't know what I have failed on because I apparently have to wait for them (Capita or cranwell?) to send me a letter telling me which is wrong that can take a minimum of 2 weeks to arrive before I can even start an appeal! I have med records from RAF Halton from the SMO saying that I was fully fit for service and the X-ray and MRI results to say there's nothing wrong with me? Does anyone else have any issues like this or know who I can get into contact with to find out sooner? Thanks, Jess
Reply 1
Did you DAOR or medical discharge?
Reply 2
Original post by NFI
Did you DAOR or medical discharge?

DAOR...I left on my own terms to allow myself to get fit enough so I knew I'd be able to successfully completed PRTC the next time. This is why I'm so confused.
Reply 3
Original post by cmpunk37jess
DAOR...I left on my own terms to allow myself to get fit enough so I knew I'd be able to successfully completed PRTC the next time. This is why I'm so confused.

What better way to get fit is there than to be on full pay and receiving rehab from an organisation that deals with injuries sustained in training on a daily basis equipped with the appropriate facilities and which has the sole focus of getting you back to full fitness in order to carry on normal jogging?

I think you were poorly advised to DAOR and now it's making your life difficult.
Reply 4
I did rehab for 5 months and was fine, they think the problem with my injury was because of my boots. I had to wait over 3 months to get a new pair of boots, they were made with just a slight added padding to prevent injury again. However as soon as they arrived they put me in them and a day later I was back in full training so didn't even get a chance for my legs to get used to them or the added weight and felt my knee pulling again. By this time I was near the end of my downgrade so if I had stayed another few months I could potentially of got discharged so was advices to leave on my own accord so I could rejoin. I was rushed through so quick I just didn't have the time to heal 100% so as soon as the extra weight was on my legs the aching starting to come back. I still have my boots and have managed to slowly accommodate them to my legs and I'm not 100% fine with them! They know all of this which is so frustrating.

I think you were poorly advised to DAOR and now it's making your life difficult.
Reply 5
I did rehab for 5 months and was fine, they think the problem with my injury was because of my boots. I had to wait over 3 months to get a new pair of boots, they were made with just a slight added padding to prevent injury again. However as soon as they arrived they put me in them and a day later I was back in full training so didn't even get a chance for my legs to get used to them or the added weight and felt my knee pulling again. By this time I was near the end of my downgrade so if I had stayed another few months I could potentially of got discharged so was advices to leave on my own accord so I could rejoin. I was rushed through so quick I just didn't have the time to heal 100% so as soon as the extra weight was on my legs the aching starting to come back. I still have my boots and have managed to slowly accommodate them to my legs and I'm not 100% fine with them! They know all of this which is so frustrating.

Were they the boots that are issued to deep sea divers so that they stay on the seabed or something?
Reply 6
Original post by NFI
Were they the boots that are issued to deep sea divers so that they stay on the seabed or something?

I don't appreciate that comment...and no but for someone who has never had boots like this on before unfortunately my legs didn't adapt to them normally like others do! I wish they did but just my luck they didn't
Reply 7
What makes you think you will have a different experience second time round with the boots?
Reply 8
Original post by NFI
What makes you think you will have a different experience second time round with the boots?

Because I've had the chance this time to break them in and build the strength in my legs...I often go for long walks in them now with no issues ... they didn't give me the chance to get used to the boots before they immediately put me back into training
Reply 9
Because I've had the chance this time to break them in and build the strength in my legs...I often go for long walks in them now with no issues ... they didn't give me the chance to get used to the boots before they immediately put me back into training

Best of luck getting an answer then, I'm sure you've had a read through the threads here and seen that it's not impossible to win on an appeal against a TMU.

Quick Reply

Latest