The Student Room Group

Fasting during GCSEs

Hello there,

As part of Ramadan, muslims are required to fast, however this year I have my GCSE exams which are spread throughout Ramadan. I'd like to know if it's advisable to fast and if it could somehow affect my performance.

I fasted for the first time last year and felt no decrease in my performance or energy, however I did see a decrease in weight (which is expected). Having only fasted for one year, I'd like to hear what others think and if it's a wise thing to do.

Thank you. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

im in the same boat as u have my gcses this year but have more experience then you 5 years sometimes i see a decrease in performance did some mocks while fasting but not sure apparently according to some articles its makes you have better recall but in others its bad for you
Hiya i am doing my GCSE exams this summer I'm also fasting as i feel it is a blessed month and all my prayers will be accepted.However i am a person who eats a lot during the day and drinks a lot so i do find it hard since i get bad migraines.
Won't make a difference tbh, i didn't eat anything before my exams and it didn't affect me.
It is permissible to not fast on the days of your exams if you are absolutely sure it will affect your performance and make sure you do them after the month is over.
Fasted throughout AS and GCSE, trust me in the moment the stress is so that you cant even remember youre hungry and thirsty
#barakah (means blessing)
Original post by TheIncredibleZ
It is permissible to not fast on the days of your exams if you are absolutely sure it will affect your performance and make sure you do them after the month is over.

your not allowed
Your brain requires energy to function, food gives you energy. Unless you're willing to gain weight like one of those squirrels preparing for the winter then dig into your fat stores in the exam...

No, I would not advise it.
Original post by iamtheone19
your not allowed

Guess im not the religious type lmao
Original post by TheIncredibleZ
Guess im not the religious type lmao

loool yh i know I'm not really either but i know its not allowed
Reply 11
Original post by dcencima
im in the same boat as u have my gcses this year but have more experience then you 5 years sometimes i see a decrease in performance did some mocks while fasting but not sure apparently according to some articles its makes you have better recall but in others its bad for you

Glad to know I'm not the only one! :biggrin: If what you said about recalling is true, I'd definetely consider it.

Hiya i am doing my GCSE exams this summer I'm also fasting as i feel it is a blessed month and all my prayers will be accepted.However i am a person who eats a lot during the day and drinks a lot so i do find it hard since i get bad migraines.

I could definetely relate with you. I also eat alot and am looking to cut down on the amounts I eat. I've started to stop snacking in order to reduce weight and drink water in order to stop losing muscle mass.

Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Fasted throughout AS and GCSE, trust me in the moment the stress is so that you cant even remember youre hungry and thirsty

I guess you're correct. There's nothing more stressful than those exams. :smile: Getting shudders already.

Original post by 152mmOfDerp
Your brain requires energy to function, food gives you energy. Unless you're willing to gain weight like one of those squirrels preparing for the winter then dig into your fat stores in the exam...

No, I would not advise it.

Interesting you bring up that point. Ramadan fasting isn't a 100% fast, it isn't 24 hour. It's permissible to break it while the sun is down and last time I fasted, I ate my dinner at around 9-10ish and woke up at 2AM in order to eat my breakfast. I think that was sufficient energy wise because I made sure to get enough glucose for the day. Thank you!
Original post by erxci
Glad to know I'm not the only one! :biggrin: If what you said about recalling is true, I'd definetely consider it.

I could definetely relate with you. I also eat alot and am looking to cut down on the amounts I eat. I've started to stop snacking in order to reduce weight and drink water in order to stop losing muscle mass.

I guess you're correct. There's nothing more stressful than those exams. :smile: Getting shudders already.

Interesting you bring up that point. Ramadan fasting isn't a 100% fast, it isn't 24 hour. It's permissible to break it while the sun is down and last time I fasted, I ate my dinner at around 9-10ish and woke up at 2AM in order to eat my breakfast. I think that was sufficient energy wise because I made sure to get enough glucose for the day. Thank you!

good luck what you taking any a level options
Reply 13
good luck what you taking any a level options

I've chosen Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Economics. Quite studious subjects but I want to study medicine. The sixth form I'm going to isn't my first choice though, and I'm hoping my GCSE results turn out good and I can apply to go for a grammar school nearby. :biggrin: What did you choose / take?
Original post by erxci
I've chosen Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Economics. Quite studious subjects but I want to study medicine. The sixth form I'm going to isn't my first choice though, and I'm hoping my GCSE results turn out good and I can apply to go for a grammar school nearby. :biggrin: What did you choose / take?

omg same i am doing medicine I'm picking biology chemistry history 4th subject still deciding not really good at maths I'm hoping to study at best six form in my area
I will fast but for the most important exams I might not ... like I would eat breakfast so I can have enough energy , I'm the type of person who gets tired and loves to drink water through the exam . I am also taking A level Biology , Chemistry and Maths ..,my fourth one might be ...Sociology
Reply 16
Original post by ParisOMg
I will fast but for the most important exams I might not ... like I would eat breakfast so I can have enough energy , I'm the type of person who gets tired and loves to drink water through the exam . I am also taking A level Biology , Chemistry and Maths ..,my fourth one might be ...Sociology

I was considering sociology but considering I haven't really enjoyed GCSE Psychology (too, too much content), I decided not to pick it. I also agree with what you said about the most important exams. I think the days I have 2 or 3 exams, I might not fast. It might be overkill fasting on those days.
Original post by erxci

Im doing medicine next year and i can tell you that i fasted during my AS and gcses. But everyone is different so if you think you have the strength to pull through then fast but if you don't its fine as long as you make them up.
I fasted throughout my GCSEs and it was fine alhamdulillah. Ramadan is a blessed month so if you fast for Allah's sake despite your GCSEs Allah will make it easy for you in sha Allah. If you're at the age where you have to fast then don't put your exams before Allah (S.W.T.).
Original post by erxci

I'm doing maths, chemistry, economics and the EPQ it's a lot of work but very rewarding best of luck!x:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest