Community Speed Watch

Watch
dominic312
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've just been caught by 'the community speed watch' in a 30MPH doing 45 was in a rush (no excuse I know) will I be getting a speeding fine does anyone know??
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dominic312)
I've just been caught by 'the community speed watch' in a 30MPH doing 45 was in a rush (no excuse I know) will I be getting a speeding fine does anyone know??
Moved to Cars and Motoring
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dominic312)
No 😂

AFAIK the police have to collect the evidence, as the word of a civilian isn't enough for a prosecution. You might get a scary letter with "words of advice" but that's about all the wannabes can do.
XMaramena
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes or no, it depends on the evidence submitted by the community. I'm heading up a community speed watch initiative in my village since local racers seem to take a liking to our high street on friday nights to race their hot hatches - been seen doing 80-100 down our 30 limit road.

Sometimes we just record a speed, reg plate and basic details, sometimes we have fixed FPS cameras that double as speed cameras to accurately show excessive speeding. This can then be used as evidence against the driver. We have only done this a few times out of a few hundred speeders - we follow CPS guidelines, and then only a very select few of those go forward towards further action other than a stern letter of warning.

Personally, I think the "harsh letter" (which we submit on CPS guidelines of +10%+2) is effective enough. 45 in a 30 zone however is way beyond acceptable, or even forgivable. What if someone's kid had just run out between some parked cars? Or a dog got off the lead and ran into the road? Going that fast, you wouldn't be able to stop in time. Slow it down, think about what might have been if you hadn't been so lucky.

(Original post by IWMTom)
No 😂

AFAIK the police have to collect the evidence, as the word of a civilian isn't enough for a prosecution. You might get a scary letter with "words of advice" but that's about all the wannabes can do.
This isn't true. By that logic, you could punch someone in the face and smash their teeth against the curb, yet get away with it because a police officer wasn't there to witness it. As long as there's evidence for a crime, which can be submitted by anyone, there is a case for prosecution.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by XMaramena)
This isn't true. By that logic, you could punch someone in the face and smash their teeth against the curb, yet get away with it because a police officer wasn't there to witness it. As long as there's evidence for a crime, which can be submitted by anyone, there is a case for prosecution.
There's a difference between assault and a road traffic offence - speed detection equipment used by the police has to be incredibly accurate and regularly calibrated in order to be accepted as evidence in court. I highly doubt your little video cameras would stand up past any decent defence lawyer.

Good luck though!
XMaramena
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's a difference between assault and a road traffic offence - speed detection equipment used by the police has to be incredibly accurate and regularly calibrated in order to be accepted as evidence in court. I highly doubt your little video cameras would stand up past any decent defence lawyer.

Good luck though!
True, there is a margin of error, but often there are times when even when you account for that, and submit the speed at the bottom end of that margin, and they're still very clearly thrashing the CPS guideline limits. Of course, the 35-45 area is difficult to enforce for the reasons you say, however on our street it's not uncommon for boy racers to go up and down past 60 in a 30 zone. That's a little harder for their lawyers, no matter how good, to say "it wasn't calibrated correctly" to, especially when we pull together multiple recording sources from shops and home CCTV up and down the street that all correlate to the same speed indication.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
True, there is a margin of error, but often there are times when even when you account for that, and submit the speed at the bottom end of that margin, and they're still very clearly thrashing the CPS guideline limits. Of course, the 35-45 area is difficult to enforce for the reasons you say, however on our street it's not uncommon for boy racers to go up and down past 60 in a 30 zone. That's a little harder for their lawyers, no matter how good, to say "it wasn't calibrated correctly" to, especially when we pull together multiple recording sources from shops and home CCTV up and down the street that all correlate to the same speed indication.
What device are you actually using to record the offence? From my understanding, in order to be admissable in court it needs to be approved by the Secretary of State. Just curious :^)
XMaramena
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What device are you actually using to record the offence? From my understanding, in order to be admissable in court it needs to be approved by the Secretary of State. Just curious :^)

It's a Kustom ProLaser Model 3 - plus 2 video cameras at 60fps front and rear for supporting evidence, with a rolling timestamp being printed onto the video file. We compile the 3, along with any other independent CCTV if that's available, if there's grounds for a case and it's considered public interest.

I'm not aware of such rules, as far as I know there's no requirement like that, providing that the sources can be verified for accuracy and provide evidence "beyond reasonable doubt". We do have a calibration certificate which is updated regularly.

Fastest I ever clocked anyone was 108, coming out of the 30 zone. They'd covered up the numberplate, and nothing came of it.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's a Kustom ProLaser Model 3 - plus 2 video cameras at 60fps front and rear for supporting evidence, with a rolling timestamp being printed onto the video file. We compile the 3, along with any other independent CCTV if that's available, if there's grounds for a case and it's considered public interest.

I'm not aware of such rules, as far as I know there's no requirement like that, providing that the sources can be verified for accuracy and provide evidence "beyond reasonable doubt". We do have a calibration certificate which is updated regularly.
Very enlightening indeed. You're all just civilians are you? I've never heard of these community speed watch things before.

And yeah, it's in the RTOA 1988 that the device recording the offence has to be approved for use blah blah blah, Section 20 I believe it is if you fancy a read.
XMaramena
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Very enlightening indeed. You're all just civilians are you? I've never heard of these community speed watch things before.

And yeah, it's in the RTOA 1988 that the device recording the offence has to be approved for use blah blah blah, Section 20 I believe it is if you fancy a read.
Ah, good read, thank you.

Yeah our one has only been going a few months, tend to go out mostly on friday and saturday nights from 10pm-1am. Just sick and tired of our road being used as a racetrack by hooligans in hot hatches. Often they come racing down the straight in pairs - one on each side of the road.

Turns out the ProLaser3 was approved in 2002. Big list of devices here:https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ces-march-2007
sek510i
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah our one has only been going a few months, tend to go out mostly on friday and saturday nights from 10pm-1am. Just sick and tired of our road being used as a racetrack by hooligans in hot hatches. Often they come racing down the straight in pairs - one on each side of the road.
Well done for doing something about it. Now we just need bigger fines for speeding and a few more traffic cops to hand them out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads