Redox titrations help!!!!

Watch this thread
doglover123
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was doing alright until I came across this question . i worked out the moles of (NH4)Cr2O7 as being 4x10-4, but I've got no idea where to go from there. Thanks in advance
Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  291.9 KB
h3rmit
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by doglover123)
I was doing alright until I came across this question . i worked out the moles of (NH4)Cr2O7 as being 4x10-4, but I've got no idea where to go from there. Thanks in advance
Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  291.9 KB
Have you done the equations?
doglover123
Rep:
(Original post by h3rmit)
Have you done the equations?
Cr2O7 + 6Fe + 14H = 2Cr + 6Fe + 7H2O

then i used the mole ratios to calculate the moles of ammonium dichromate as being 4x10-4. Is there another equation I need?
h3rmit
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

then i used the mole ratios to calculate the moles of ammonium dichromate as being 4x10-4. Is there another equation I need?
I meant the ionic half equations, but the overall equation is better.

Do you have any other ideas at all?

You also need the moles of iron sulphate.
h3rmit
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

Also, just to check, did you calculate the moles of dichromate via the 0.233g?
doglover123
Rep:
Also, just to check, did you calculate the moles of dichromate via the 0.233g?
No - I worked out the moles of dichromate that reacted wwith the acidic iron sulphate solution, because we were given the conc and volume of that.

I know the moles of iron sulphate that reacted was 2.4x10-3 - but ive got no clue where to go from there
h3rmit
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
No - I worked out the moles of dichromate that reacted wwith the acidic iron sulphate solution, because we were given the conc and volume of that.
Good, now you know how many actual moles of dichromate there are. You then calculate how many moles of dichromate there would be if the 0.233g was pure. Then, the difference in moles tells you your number of moles of ammonium chloride.
jordenevans12
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Is it possible to use moles = mass / molar mass with 4x10-4 and 0.223g
doglover123
Rep:
Good, now you know how many actual moles of dichromate there are. You then calculate how many moles of dichromate there would be if the 0.233g was pure. Then, the difference in moles tells you your number of moles of ammonium chloride.
U BEAUTY THANK YOU!!!! I got the answer!
doglover123
Rep:
(Original post by jordenevans12)
Yeah you can, then subtract that value from the original mass (0.223g) to work out how many moles of ammonium chloride reacts & you can work out the ratio from there
h3rmit
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jordenevans12)
Since you have a number of moles and a mass, you could only use that to calculate the molar mass. And, since the 4x10^-4 is only part of the 0.233g, you'd be calculating the molar mass of a tiny part of the 0.233g.
jordenevans12
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Since you have a number of moles and a mass, you could only use that to calculate the molar mass. And, since the 4x10^-4 is only part of the 0.233g, you'd be calculating the molar mass of a tiny part of the 0.233g.
Yeah, we have the molar mass already from the formula using the periodic table. Find the mass of 4x10^-4 moles of ammonium chromate and subtract from 0.233g then we will have a ratio
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (79)
67.52%
In the post (5)
4.27%
Text (15)
12.82%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (18)
15.38%

Watched Threads