Does Kante prove that big imposing CDM's are not really a necessity?

Watch
James.Carnell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
He's technically excellent, and obviously his pitch coverage is out of this world. Literally makes the interceptions an artform.

The whole idea you need a Vieira or a Matic is certainly a bit outdated nowadays? Is it not down to simply how technically good a footballer is at CM now?
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James.Carnell)
He's technically excellent, and obviously his pitch coverage is out of this world. Literally makes the interceptions an artform.

The whole idea you need a Vieira or a Matic is certainly a bit outdated nowadays? Is it not down to simply how technically good a footballer is at CM now?
Kante technically excellent in what respect? Usually that's to describe passing and use of the ball but Kante mostly does the simple pass.

A lot of clubs at the top level have fewer big/strong players and more technical/fast players in the attacking positions and so then your DM needs to be less physical and then having someone who is nimble and able to intercept and tackle quickly across the middle of the park is very useful. Lallana wins the ball back for Liverpool a lot too.

However Kante mostly is playing next to Matic so I don't see how you can just dismiss the Matic type?

Would Kante be as good if he didn't have Matic often next to him? Would Kante still work if Chelsea didn't play with 3 CBs who are also all having good seasons. Would Kante get so much praise if the attacking players in front weren't winning games - would he then be accused of not offering enough?
James.Carnell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
Kante technically excellent in what respect? Usually that's to describe passing and use of the ball but Kante mostly does the simple pass.

A lot of clubs at the top level have fewer big/strong players and more technical/fast players in the attacking positions and so then your DM needs to be less physical and then having someone who is nimble and able to intercept and tackle quickly across the middle of the park is very useful. Lallana wins the ball back for Liverpool a lot too.

However Kante mostly is playing next to Matic so I don't see how you can just dismiss the Matic type?

Would Kante be as good if he didn't have Matic often next to him? Would Kante still work if Chelsea didn't play with 3 CBs who are also all having good seasons. Would Kante get so much praise if the attacking players in front weren't winning games - would he then be accused of not offering enough?
Because he was playing next to Drinky who is only 1.77m.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James.Carnell)
Because he was playing next to Drinky who is only 1.77m.
Well that was one season? Arguably half a season since for the first half Leicester scored and conceded like crazy.

There does seem to be a trend towards athletic players over big but slow players.
IamJacksContempt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mascherano already proved it long before.

Kante got destroyed by Busquets against Spain though.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Despite the prevailing wisdom in the British Isles football is not a particularly phphysically demanding game, sure it helps to be strong and quick but it is far less of a necessity than in American Football for instance.

Defensive midfield is the epitome of this misunderstanding, the role is NOT primarily about being big and strong, it is primarily about being in the right place at the right time and then making the right decision when you get there, speed of mi d is much more important than speed of foot.
username2769500
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes this now means that there should just be a striker a goalkeeper and him on the pitch because you obviously don't need any other players.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
Well that was one season? Arguably half a season since for the first half Leicester scored and conceded like crazy.

There does seem to be a trend towards athletic players over big but slow players.
That first couple of months of playing every game like Newcastle circa 1998 was more because we were playing a striker come winger at left back in Schlupp and persisting with Ritchie de laet at right back. Get in two competent defensive full backs and it shored it right up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads