Turn on thread page Beta

Ocr criminal law special study paper watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, is there anybody sitting the OCR Criminal Law Special Study paper this year?
    If so, how are you finding it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annmarie99)
    Hi, is there anybody sitting the OCR Criminal Law Special Study paper this year?
    This year the topic that we are focusing on is non-fatal offences against a person. My teacher said that if it was coming up in G154 then its less likely to come up in G153. But can some one tell me how to prep a Q1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiramalin)
    This year the topic that we are focusing on is non-fatal offences against a person. My teacher said that if it was coming up in G154 then its less likely to come up in G153. But can some one tell me how to prep a Q1?
    Yeah we've just started doing the case digest for Fagan, and I'm not even sure how to prepare for it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiramalin)
    OCR released a document in 2015 saying that the special study topic will NOT come up as a G153 paper so only study it for G154 or you'll be wasting time. good luck with the exams. Do you have any idea what the 34 mark question is likely to be.

For the 16 mark question the critical point will give 3 marks which is basically the principle of the case, the link to another case is worth 3 marks and their is 6 marks for answering question. The other 4 marks are A03 which is dependant on how many marks are achieved. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    The special study paper didn't seem to bad until I saw that the grade boundaries are usually high. I think the 30 marker will be quite easy along with the 16 marker as the questions are the same just reworded each year, but the big 34 marker is too random.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2025)
    The special study paper didn't seem to bad until I saw that the grade boundaries are usually high. I think the 30 marker will be quite easy along with the 16 marker as the questions are the same just reworded each year, but the big 34 marker is too random.

Yeah we've. Literally just started our first case digest and my teacher isn't confident with the exam because its her first year at teaching law so she doesn't really know what the questions will be. But she met with an experienced teacher and even they said they are really struggling with it. This teacher had told my teacher that self-defence and consent wont be on the special study also, meaning it's most likely to come on the criminal law exam😭

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we've. Literally just started our first case digest and my teacher isn't confident with the exam because its her first year at teaching law so she doesn't really know what the questions will be. But she met with an experienced teacher and even they said they are really struggling with it. This teacher had told my teacher that self-defence and consent wont be on the special study also, meaning it's most likely to come on the criminal law exam😭
    This is now confusing me slightly because i was told to revise consent for the special study-look at the june and january 2010 papers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same it's the NON FATAL OFFENCES STUDY PAPER so even the defences related to non fatal will be considered, the three 10 mark questions are likely to ask about either self defence or consent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalia2505)
    Yeah same it's the NON FATAL OFFENCES STUDY PAPER so even the defences related to non fatal will be considered, the three 10 mark questions are likely to ask about either self defence or consent
    Thank you. I must admit though i've never seen self defence required for a non fatal offence answer. Although this is a possibility its unlikely to be worth many marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2025)
    Thank you. I must admit though i've never seen self defence required for a non fatal offence answer. Although this is a possibility its unlikely to be worth many marks.
    Yeah I didn't as well but you know those 10 mark questions in the 3rd question (little scenarios) they may ask for what charge it is and ask wether a self defence offence would be available for them or consent depending on the scenario

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalia2505)
    Yeah I didn't as well but you know those 10 mark questions in the 3rd question (little scenarios) they may ask for what charge it is and ask wether a self defence offence would be available for them or consent depending on the scenario
    for the first question it's regarding the 8 cases... you need 1 critical point...which is usually the outcome of the case and why ...then 2 analytical points which are basically other things that were explained in the case

question two is just an essay based question usually just on s47 20 and 18

question three is 3 10 marker scenarios... no defences included...the question is strictly on non fatal

ReputationRep:
    anyone got model answers for q1 and 2

ReputationRep:
    anyone got model answers for q1 and 2

ReputationRep:
    My teacher had told me that it was purely on non fatal offences with no self defence or consent.
    I'm not sure now whether i need to revise it because some people are saying that it might come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharukh Wahab)
    My teacher had told me that it was purely on non fatal offences with no self defence or consent.
    I'm not sure now whether i need to revise it because some people are saying that it might come up.
    my teacher said it's purely on non fatal offences...and she use to be a marker for ocr so don't bother you'd just be wasting time

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I did the attempted murder dilemma board and I didn't mention impossibility for statement D, now I'm really worried 😭 Also completely forgot to define intoxication in question 4, just gave cases. Did anyone else do these questions? Feel like I've got no chance of getting an A* now. Hope everyone else thought it went ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess1999)
    Hey! I did the attempted murder dilemma board and I didn't mention impossibility for statement D, now I'm really worried 😭 Also completely forgot to define intoxication in question 4, just gave cases. Did anyone else do these questions? Feel like I've got no chance of getting an A* now. Hope everyone else thought it went ok!
    nope you honestly picked the worst questions in my opinion should of picked the Strict liability section C cause all you had to say was
    -SL offences require an AR
    -Apply(eg As Tom has sold unfit meat which is a regulatory offence he has the AR)
    -MR is irrelevant in SL offences
    -Apply(eg even though Tom got the meat checked...his intentions are irrelevant therefore he is criminally liable)
    -True or false...

and you don't get awarded for cases in Section C .... you were suppose to give definition ....but if you only messed up one statement you'll probably still get around 3 marks for application

and you shouldn't be worried grade boundaries are around 85/120 for an A .. aslong as you smashed the other questions you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azahaniel80085)
    nope you honestly picked the worst questions in my opinion should of picked the Strict liability section C cause all you had to say was
    -SL offences require an AR
    -Apply(eg As Tom has sold unfit meat which is a regulatory offence he has the AR)
    -MR is irrelevant in SL offences
    -Apply(eg even though Tom got the meat checked...his intentions are irrelevant therefore he is criminally liable)
    -True or false...

and you don't get awarded for cases in Section C .... you were suppose to give definition ....but if you only messed up one statement you'll probably still get around 3 marks for application

and you shouldn't be worried grade boundaries are around 85/120 for an A .. aslong as you smashed the other questions you should be fine
    I definitely should have done the strict liability one, just need to find someone who did the attempted murder one to reassure me!

For the definition of intoxication, I was talking about question 4 (the defence problem). Don't worry, I didn't put any cases in my dilemma board. Thank you for reassuring me though, hope you found it alright. The essay questions were lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess1999)
    I definitely should have done the strict liability one, just need to find someone who did the attempted murder one to reassure me!

For the definition of intoxication, I was talking about question 4 (the defence problem). Don't worry, I didn't put any cases in my dilemma board. Thank you for reassuring me though, hope you found it alright. The essay questions were lovely.
    Yep should of done strict liability...it was a blessing but you should'n't worry since as long as you made the key points you'd get a minimum of 3 marks...so you probs got around 4/5 for 3 sections c's and maybe a 3 for one if that was a keypoint you missed

and yeah got confused you can still get high marks even if you missed out the definition intoxication because of how the marking system works... As long as you've had atleast one level 5 paragraph and had enough points to reach the Level 5 band of AO1 marks...hence why all markschemes say credit any other relevant points/sources/cases as long as you wrote enough you'd still be in the level 5 band and they'd probably only take 2-3 marks off for missing the definition of intoxication

the marking system works like this
    1. Highest band level paragraph to activate potential band (highest level paragraph)
    2.Then you just need enough points or developed points to accumulate to the amount of marks in the band

and agreed the essay based questions were a blessing...i personally did consent but i would have been comfortable with causation aswell ...was ******** myself aswell before the exam

and objectively speeking you only needed around 38 marks per question A and B and around 14 for Question C to just about get an A but i'm sure you did fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharukh Wahab)
    Well if you look at the book there's self defence and consent with the non fatal offences so my teacher said that we should revise it cause it's part of the topic knowing these two won't hurt nobody besides it's better to be safe and they're quite short anyway

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2017

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.