The Student Room Group

How to Pay Tuition Fee?

Hello Guys and Girls of TSR,

It looks like I may possibly have a place on a Foundation Year course. The only issue is that the fee of the course will be over £18000. Neither I nor anyone in this family has this kind of money, and it looks like Student Finance England will also not be able to provide this kind of funding. It also appears that I am not eligible for any scholarships. I have been living in the UK for the past 4 years and am an EU citizen.

What are my options for getting funding?

Thanks.
Original post by TSRStyleSquad
Hello Guys and Girls of TSR,

It looks like I may possibly have a place on a Foundation Year course. The only issue is that the fee of the course will be over £18000. Neither I nor anyone in this family has this kind of money, and it looks like Student Finance England will also not be able to provide this kind of funding. It also appears that I am not eligible for any scholarships. I have been living in the UK for the past 4 years and am an EU citizen.

What are my options for getting funding?

Thanks.

Have you contacted the college who are doing the foundation course? That seems like a lot of money just for one year.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you contacted the college who are doing the foundation course? That seems like a lot of money just for one year.

Yes. The fees are as per international standards, although I am applying for the course as a domestic/EU student.

The reason I am applying to this course is because it is one of the few that would consider my application.
Reply 3
Original post by TSRStyleSquad
Yes. The fees are as per international standards, although I am applying for the course as a domestic/EU student.

The reason I am applying to this course is because it is one of the few that would consider my application.

If you've been living here for four years, you should be considered a Home/UK applicant. Has the university explained why they will not accept that? If you are considered an International student for your Foundation, then bear in mind that this will continue into your three year undergrad degree. You will be looking at very much more than £18,000 in fees.

Bear in mind that a Foundation *Year* isn't the same as a Foundation Degree. A Foundation Year is a year which prepares you to continue into a specific degree course. It generally won't give you a stand-alone transferrable qualification in the same way that a Foundation Degree would. I'd suggest that if you can't afford the Foundation Year, then it would be a waste of time (and a lot of money if you could find it) as it would seem that the uni will apply the same criteria to the attached degree which would put it out of your reach.

Had you considered doing extra study so that you can apply to a wider range of unis? A one year Access to Higher Education qualification is widely accepted.

Sadly there are no other reputable sources of loans for undergrad tuition fees beyond Student Finance.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending