Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Applyin for 2005. What happens if you do completely rubbish in your As's? If you resit them in january would the unis have chance to take these results into consideration? or is it just that you will have to have a brilliant personal statement and reference ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky600)
    Applyin for 2005. What happens if you do completely rubbish in your As's? If you resit them in january would the unis have chance to take these results into consideration? or is it just that you will have to have a brilliant personal statement and reference ??
    The unis dont know what your AS results are, they look at the predicted grades given to you by your tutor (which will in all fairness be based to some extent on your results) but if your tutor thinks that you will improve your results with retakes then they'll probably out your predicted grade higher than your AS results anyway

ReputationRep:
    Uni's dont get your AS results, they make offers based on predictions made by your teachers. Obviously if you get 3/4 E's at AS your tutor wont predict 3/4 A's. Most teachers are not likely to predict much higher than your AS results, if at all in some cases!, so it maybe a case of begging your tutors and showering them with gifts in order to make them increase your predictions!!

ReputationRep:

No unfortunately, I did **** at AS and got predited BCD, where I knew I could do better, so I got rejected by a few uni's. I retook most of my AS's in January and improved alot, now I think I am gonna get ABB, which is quite upsetting now.
    So try and do your best at AS, I wish someone had warned me then.

ReputationRep:
    For my AS grades I kinda screwed up (if by kinda you mean almost completly): I got DDE (in Electronics, Computing and Physics) and a B in General Studies. However I applied to universities that wanted Bs and Cs and they all understood that I had probably just made a mistake. Birmingham (my first choice now) offered me BBC (later reduced it to BCC after I took an aptitude test) and they say that their standard offer is ABB - BBB.

ReputationRep:
    Universities don't know what your AS results are? Wow, never knew that. I quite like that.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    Universities don't know what your AS results are? Wow, never knew that. I quite like that.
    But.... if you have claimed them (ie the grades are on your results slip) then you are legally bound to put them on your UCAS form, unless you un-claim them. You have a few weeks only in which to do this - mid September sometime is the deadline - check with your exams officer. Tactically it may be better to unclaim them if you are going to do resits... depends on your school policy on this.

ReputationRep:
    The only exception is for Oxbridge I believe (certainly when I applied for Cambridge) when they'll ask for a modular break down of your results so far. They state they'll be leanient and understand you can resit though I wouldn't buy into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    The only exception is for Oxbridge I believe (certainly when I applied for Cambridge) when they'll ask for a modular break down of your results so far. They state they'll be leanient and understand you can resit though I wouldn't buy into that.
    I declared all my results to the unis I was appling to - my form tutor said that they may think that you have something to hide if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that only Cambrige asked for UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    I heard that only Cambrige asked for UMS.
    They're not allowed to from now on though. UCAS told them off for requesting module marks. They only see your grades now

G

ReputationRep:
    Cool, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    All of which emphasizes the absurdity of a system based on predictions.

Take the exams. Get your grades. Apply to university.

It isn't rocket science. When will administrators see this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    They're not allowed to from now on though. UCAS told them off for requesting module marks. They only see your grades now

G
    Lolz.. I thought it was a good thing that they get to see your module marks. But yeh, it is really unfair. An A should be treated as an A.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.