The Student Room Group

Are panic attacks annoying?

Note: I have asperger's (in case that matters)

I started my GCSEs in September and everything was mostly fine until we received our first grades. Drama, my favourite subject was my worst, despite me being on the gifted and talented register for it. After that I became terrified of performing and every so often got panic attacks during drama class as I was obsessing over if it was good enough (once a month) but now they're getting more and more frequent and happening any time and anywhere (5 or 6 times a week) Last week, it got so bad I ended up with a migraine that lasted over 24 hours and I threw up a few times.
My friends are really nice and usually ask if I'm ok when I start getting pale and my breathing gets rapid, but I'm really worried that they're starting to get annoyed. My friend starts crying after every science test and while we're all nice to her when this happens, my friends (and other people in my class) have all told me she's annoying when it happens and they wish she'd stop overreacting.
So I have been trying to hide and conceal my panic attacks when they happen and avoid my friends as much as possible. I already see a youth worker though I'm low priority as I pretend to be ok in front of teachers.

Do you think my friends think I'm annoying when I have panic attacks? What should I do?

Thank you for reading, and if you do, replying.
This is kind of like asking if having an epileptic fit is "annoying" to your friends. The answer should be no if they're actually friends. Panic attacks can be very persistent and hard to treat especially if you're not getting help. To be fair to your friends it can be hard to know how to help you when these happen. I would recommend going to your GP and asking for help. Or if your school has a counselor that might also be useful. If your friends see you're taking steps to stop the panic attacks I think it'll look better for you and hopefully they will be more understanding.
Your friend who cries after every test, isn't she also having panic attacks?
You shouldn't conceal them, that's a first. It'll just lead (at least in my experience) to your mind running amok and not being able to come to a focus for even longer. Talk to your friends about them, and see what they say. To be honest, it might annoy them, but nonetheless they're your friends and will support you with them. Everything annoys everyone to some extent, it's just a matter of whether or not you care about that everything to deal with it.
Reply 4
if they're your true friends then they won't judge you at all. Since you've said you've just started your GCSE's I'll assume you're about 15/16? It's common for a lot of people this age to get them, so I promise you're not alone, and chances are some of your friends, if not all, have experienced one at some point. Concealing them doesn't help, and I promise you that since I've been open about having them with my family and friends I no longer feel pressured to hide them. I'd recommend seeing a GP? It was the best decision I've ever made.
Reply 5
Thanks for all the suggestions. To be honest I'm not really sure my friends are true as they have been bullying one of our friends since primary school. Though, I'm too scared to leave them as I care about them and when I tried to they wouldn't leave me alone as half of them begged me to be their friend again and half wouldn't stop saying I'm the worst person who's ever lived and should go die. I can't pick and choose the ones I like and the ones I don't because it's either be in the group and all of their friends, or out and none.

Quick Reply

Latest