The Student Room Group

Bristol or Nottingham for English Lit?

Hello to anyone who is reading this - I'd like to say thank you in advance to any help or advice you offer me, no matter how small!

I am currently trying to decide which uni to firm and am utterly torn between Nottingham and Bristol. I decided against Warwick due to its seclusion and (no offence intended) lifelessness, and against Birmingham because I wasn't very convinced by the taster lectures on the visit day. Bristol and Nottingham were the two which I loved for both uni and course, but that's made things much more difficult!

My current thoughts:

Bristol - lovely, vibrant city of culture, really enjoyed the taster seminar and lectures on the visit day, but worried about the notion that people 'love the city, hate the uni' and by the low student satisfaction?

Nottingham - diverse city, love the modules on the course, pretty campus, but I've heard rumours about the accommodation being really bad? Is the city unsafe?

Thank you so much to anyone who responds - it's much appreciated!
I have at friend at Nottingham doing Lit, and she doesn't really like it. Apparently it's not very good, but I don't know anyone from Bristol, or anything about it.... but based on what she said, Bristol is probably better. She wasn't happy with the Accommodation, and apparently the Lectures are always junk rushed or rescheduled.
Reply 2
Original post by FeminineEminem
I actually have quite an unusual insight into this scenario seeing as I attend the University of Nottingham and my younger brother attends the University of Bristol.

One of the concerns you had about Nottingham was the accommodation - I assure you, having seen the accommodation in a variety of halls at both universities, in my opinion the accommodation at Nottingham is far nicer (and far less costly - seriously, if you aren't well-off, think very hard about whether you want to go to Bristol as it is incredibly expensive), though of course that is just my opinion. I can say that I was in catered halls in Nottingham and loved it.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about Nottingham. I don't study English (I do Law), but I can assist in general questions about the university (i.e. nightlife, campus, etc.) :smile:

Thank you for the reply!

Do you think you could tell me a bit about what Nottingham is like as a city? For both daytime and nightlife? And anything about the people you've met at uni?

Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by AvaPenguin
I have at friend at Nottingham doing Lit, and she doesn't really like it. Apparently it's not very good, but I don't know anyone from Bristol, or anything about it.... but based on what she said, Bristol is probably better. She wasn't happy with the Accommodation, and apparently the Lectures are always junk rushed or rescheduled.

Thank you for the response!

Quick Reply