rmayne
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My goal is to work in a start up at Sillicon Valley. I can't think of a better way of doing that than by acquiring a CS masters from Stanford.

I am a mature student with no A-Levels so my options are to get a degree with Open University or get a access to higher education diploma then go to a regular Uni. I would much prefer the prior as I have a full time job as a front end developer at a start up.

The problem is, this is the closest thing that open uni is offering to a standard computer science course: BSc in Computing & IT combined with Maths.

Here are the module choices for this degree:

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q67
What do you guys think?

Would american ivy league post grad schools consider this? (assuming I get first class honours)

For reference, having taken these subjects or something very similar, from their college or an external, is required to enter Stanford's MSc program:

CS103 (Logic, Automata and Complexity)
CS109 or STAT116 or CME106 or MS&E220(Probability)
CS161 (Algorithmic Analysis)
CS107 (Computer Organization and Systems)
CS110 (Principles of Computer Systems)
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rmayne)
My goal is to work in a start up at Sillicon Valley. I can't think of a better way of doing that than by acquiring a CS masters from Stanford.

I am a mature student with no A-Levels so my options are to get a degree with Open University or get a access to higher education diploma then go to a regular Uni. I would much prefer the prior as I have a full time job as a front end developer at a start up.

The problem is, this is the closest thing that open uni is offering to a standard computer science course: BSc in Computing & IT combined with Maths.

Here are the module choices for this degree:

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q67
What do you guys think?

Would american ivy league post grad schools consider this? (assuming I get first class honours)

For reference, having taken these subjects or something very similar, from their college or an external, is required to enter Stanford's MSc program:

CS103 (Logic, Automata and Complexity)
CS109 or STAT116 or CME106 or MS&E220(Probability)
CS161 (Algorithmic Analysis)
CS107 (Computer Organization and Systems)
CS110 (Principles of Computer Systems)
You already have replies to your post here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads